Nissan Rip Off! *vent*

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Nissan Rip Off! *vent*

Post by kwijibo »

About a year a go we bought a 2001 Nissan Pulsar from a private seller and it only came with one key. I thought nothing of it at the time, until a few days ago. My gf rang me to tell me that the ignition just would not turn. She got a lift home from where it was and I had a look the following morning. No idea why it wouldn't turn so called Roadside assistance, who looked at it for a few minutes and called a lock smith.

The lock smith cut a new key and using that key was able to turn the ignition. He said the old key was just worn out and we'd need a new one. The pulsar is fitted with some NATS security BS, which means I have to hold the old key close to the ignition whilst turning the newly cut key in order for the car to start. If it doesnt sense the security chip, it will activate the immobiliser. This is a bit hit and miss, so basically we need a new NATS Key to start the car with confidence.

So the woman rings Nissan this morning to ask about a new key, and the quote? $420!!! (breaking my own one or none exclamation mark rule here for emphasis)

She later told me that they said it costs extra because its a hatch back. I thought surely she gave them the wrong information on what we actually need, so I rang up to confirm. Nope.. thats correct, $420 for a farkn key! And theres no other option because only Nissan Dealers can provide them. On top of the $150 call out fee to the lock smith.

:finger:
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Re: Nissan Rip Off! *vent*

Post by nutty »

I find it hard to believe a normal locksmith cant cut your key..

99% of locksmiths have the kit to cut you a key.. i went through the same thing trying to get a 2nd copy of my key (2002 200sx, which would be the same system)
Ring a locksmith, it cost me $120 for a cut.

Other option, get a auto elect to pull out the factory immobilisers and install a aftermarket one, cost me $400 (tho I decided to leave the factory immobilisers in, even tho he said its a 3min job to do)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

The locksmith cut me a key which can open the doors, but it can't start the car because its not fitted with the NATS security chip. It has to be programmed by Nissan.

Auto Elec could do that, but its gonna cost me $400 either way...
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Nope postive it can be done, just to be sure I just rang a mate of mine whos a locksmith tradie (he cut my key)
Said 99% chance its the same as the pulsar, 200sx's have the same NATS system as almost all the nissans brought out around that time. and its basically standard equipment for locksmiths to have a machine to deal with the responders.

Its a rw3 machine and the key has a eh2 head
Looks like this http://www.multipick-service.com/htdocs ... ca/rw3.php
Then you get a bit like this
http://www.keytrader.co.uk/Vehicle-Keys ... html?pop=0

They put your old head into the machine and it scans it for the access code (5 digit code) then they can dupe it.

Key doesnt look like a genuine nissan, but it works fine
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I see this all the time at work.... even with fleet discount, it is crazy the prices they charge to replace keys...
Toyota is one of the worst, upwards of $700!
Steve
---
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Disconnect the immobilizer?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Costs just as much for a Subaru as well. I bet the key for my car would be $400+ also.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

When I bought my Impreza (new back in 03) they told me it would be ~$180 to get a new key. If prices have really gone up to $400+, that's just crazy!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I need to get a new Barrel and Keys. I'm now dreading it
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

When I had my old Audi done it was about $200. For once something European that wasn't more expensive!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Well apparantly this one costs more because it's a hatch. Which means they come from Europe, or something. I wonder what their *actual* costs are
pab

Post by pab »

We just bought a new Mazda 3 and were also told that if we needed a replacement key it'd be around the $400 mark :fall:
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

kwijibo wrote:Well apparantly this one costs more because it's a hatch. Which means they come from Europe, or something. I wonder what their *actual* costs are
$5 apiece, it's made in Asia :)
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

kwijibo wrote:Well apparantly this one costs more because it's a hatch. Which means they come from Europe, or something. I wonder what their *actual* costs are

For my sanity sake, did you call a locksmith?
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

nutty wrote:

For my sanity sake, did you call a locksmith?
I didn't call one again :)

A lock smith was the first person that got called, and he said I had to goto a dealer - he cut a key that can open the doors and turn on the ignition - but not start the car because of lack of the NATS system. I've googled a fair bit and it all seems to suggest that theres no option when it comes to NATS. I can't disconnect the immobilisor as then my insurance would be void
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I know you wouldn't be happy with that reponse, Nutty, so I rang another locksmith. He says he can clone the old key, so we'll see how we go this arvo, and I'll report back. Could save $300 :D
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

;)

Good news
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

AstrO wrote:When I bought my Impreza (new back in 03) they told me it would be ~$180 to get a new key. If prices have really gone up to $400+, that's just crazy!
The key I was referring to was for a new WRX hatch. :)
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Rots wrote:The key I was referring to was for a new WRX hatch. :)
Have they changed the key much since the last generation Impreza/Forester?
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

Friend of mine has a Subaru Liberty B4, this thing is locked up like fort knox, even needs the keypad immobiliser like in the Impreza STI's... Subaru want around $450 for a new key, he has since found a locksmith that can replace the key, and code an immobiliser fob (not in the key) to work with the rest of the car, it's going to cost ~$150
Now with Added Flickr
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

We got a new key for $120, but it doesn't have buttons to remotely unlock/lock the doors (apparantly, that would actually cost $400) I'm happy to use a key and save $300 though. Particularly cos I don't use it much :D At least the car can be started.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

funny, isn't it, that a phone which can do heaps more costs heaps less....
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

If there was ever a time to contact ACA haha. I was just thinking what you can buy for $400 odd.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

AstrO wrote:
Rots wrote:The key I was referring to was for a new WRX hatch. :)
Have they changed the key much since the last generation Impreza/Forester?
Dunno if the key has changed much. It was a mates mum's WRX. She told me about it about a month ago. It's a joke that they are so expensive.
Doso

Post by Doso »

wabbit wrote:If there was ever a time to contact ACA haha. I was just thinking what you can buy for $400 odd.
thats how much keys cost these days unfortunately as they all generally have RFID immobiliser chips in them and the key thus has to be coded to the specific car, if you think $400 is high you don't want to know how much newer medium to high end euro car keys cost!