iOS4

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Re: iOS4

Post by Duke »

Did I hear correctly that some media reports have been reporting this update was to mainly fix a security hole in iBooks when veiwing PDF files?
Apparently malware had been developed to expoit this to steal private data & passwords within the handset. If so then I bet there was no mention of it in Apple's change log...
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I'm pretty sure there was a fix for that, yes.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
plastik8

Post by plastik8 »

NeilPearson wrote:well since updating to IOS4 my phone spends more time on charge than off it.

turned off location services
turned off push notifications, which i had on before.

It was fully charged at midnight so i took it off charge to see how it would be when i awoke, at 8 am when i awoke it was at 30% charge. and it didnt do a thing.
Make sure you don't have skype running in the background. Its always on VOIP connection kills the battery...
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197971333750]Image[/url]
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Flinty72 wrote:Did I hear correctly *snip*
Your sure did, there was a PDF vulnerability that affected all major OSes (desktop & mobile). Some were quicker to update than others, Apple was one of the last with iOS 4.0.2. This new software update iOS 4.2.0 provides some new customer features and of course bug fixes, system tweaks etc etc. The reason Apple doesn't list which security issues were patched, is its not the best idea to keep the baddies up-to-date with exactly what vulnerabilities will and won't work per update. Hope that helps.
Montey

Post by Montey »

wabbit wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Did I hear correctly *snip*
Your sure did, there was a PDF vulnerability that affected all major OSes (desktop & mobile). Some were quicker to update than others, Apple was one of the last with iOS 4.0.2. This new software update iOS 4.2.0 provides some new customer features and of course bug fixes, system tweaks etc etc. The reason Apple doesn't list which security issues were patched, is its not the best idea to keep the baddies up-to-date with exactly what vulnerabilities will and won't work per update. Hope that helps.
But if your patches stop the exploitation what's the harm in letting people know what you've patched (unless you think your patches don't work)?

The whole "We wont tell because it helps the bad guys" line is bullshit. Its just a marketing issue that they don't want to let the Apple fanboys know that Apple has security issues too.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Montey wrote:The whole "We wont tell because it helps the bad guys" line is bullshit. Its just a marketing issue that they don't want to let the Apple fanboys know that Apple has security issues too.
See I think that comment is dumb, because there are security updates that are named as such for OS X, they happen every now and again. The security stuff is all over the Apple website aswell (maybe its the "hidden in plain sight" thingy :D ). Fanboys are another kettle of fish that normally have an intense, overwhelming enthusiasm for supporting a company, product, sporting club etc. I don't think the two are linked.

As for detailing of security updates. As pure consumers there really isn't a need to even list the issues. Download the update because it fixes stuff. Apple normally lure customers to update by providing user focused features with the update which has many security issues patched aswell (eg iOS 4.2).
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Is there anything worth unjailbreaking my phone for?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

iOS 4.3 Beta 2 is availble. Gee they seem to be moving fast on this one.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Does it have Wireless hotspots? I heard a rumour somewhere.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Yeah beta 1 did. I've only been updating the tampon, so I haven't played with that feature yet.
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Yeah beta 1 did. I've only been updating the tampon, so I haven't played with that feature yet.
A heavy day mate?

I expect my Optus phone wont let me do it anyways. You have to pay extra for USB tethering, I dont expect WiFi tethering to be any different.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Hang on a sec, haven't all carriers dropped the tethering charge? I'm pretty sure they did. From the stuff I've read the Personal Hotspot is carrier independent.
norbs

Post by norbs »

:(
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Dang!
norbs

Post by norbs »

wabbit wrote:Dang!

Dang no more. Got onto @optus on Twitter and they put me on a new plan with tethering free, upped my data to 3g a month a $900 of calls for $79.

Not bad.
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

norbs wrote:Not bad.
Twitter breaks though all the red-tape at Optus. I've seen you do it a few times now. Much like a natural disaster removes all red-tape for Gov depts.

Righto back on track (the bigger stuff we know about iOS 4.3):

Multitasking Gestures (4 or 5 fingers):
Beta 2 brings this to the iPhone (you need to have Xcode installed to unlock it). Might not be available for 4.3 consumer release, Apple are a tad bit worried some 3rd party apps might conflict with the feature and are asking Devs for feedback.

Personal Hotspot:
Allows upto 5 WiFi enabled devices to connect to your iPhone or iPad 3G. Uses WPA2, your devices name is used as the identifier for others.

AirPlay for 3rd Party Devices:
Extending what we've already got (I'd guess HP will be all over this one)

Find my Friends (Mobile Me):
I'm guessing its like Googles Latitude?

Photo Streams:
Allow for continuous streaming for photos, to approved friends... (Why I don't know)

iPad also gets:
FaceTime, Photo Booth (link) and Camera apps.

** I've left out all the little things like new fonts, OS tweaks, security patches etc.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Odds on Apple allowing any of these updates on Iphone 3G?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Zero. Looks like at this stage iOS devices are supported for upto 3 years-ish.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

wabbit wrote: Twitter breaks though all the red-tape at Optus. I've seen you do it a few times now. Much like a natural disaster removes all red-tape for Gov depts.

it's like Gotham city calling Batman, rather than ring just send the message out into the sky and hope they see it.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

iOS4

Post by DexterPunk »

kwijibo wrote:Is there anything worth unjailbreaking my phone for?
There was some funky new icon when streaming bluetooth music that I un-broke mine for.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:
wabbit wrote: Twitter breaks though all the red-tape at Optus. I've seen you do it a few times now. Much like a natural disaster removes all red-tape for Gov depts.

it's like Gotham city calling Batman, rather than ring just send the message out into the sky and hope they see it.

I tried ringing the night before. 45 minutes on hold and I gave up.

Optus see all Tweets with @optus on them. It is a terrific way of using social media to keep a customer happy.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

i agree, it saves ringing them and going through all that shit. I'm impressed they are using technology for a positive reason. It's the sort of service you'd expect from an enthusiastic upstart not a big company like Optus. Most use technology in a bad way, i had to ring Telstra last week and got that stupid phone recognition thing, i took me 4 goes to get one answer through to them.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:i agree, it saves ringing them and going through all that shit. I'm impressed they are using technology for a positive reason. It's the sort of service you'd expect from an enthusiastic upstart not a big company like Optus. Most use technology in a bad way, i had to ring Telstra last week and got that stupid phone recognition thing, i took me 4 goes to get one answer through to them.
Try tweeting @telstra
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

yeah nah
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Apple announced today during their iPad 2 keynote, that iOS 4.3 will be arriving on March 11th with a number of new features. iOS 4.3 includes a faster Safari browser, iTunes Home Sharing, AirPLay enhancements, iPad side switch preference (rotate or mute), and the Personal Hotspot feature for iPhone 4.

The new features are detailed here:

- Faster Safari - The Nitro JavaScript engine that Apple pioneered on the desktop is now built into WebKit, the technology at the heart of Safari, and more than doubles the performance of JavaScript execution using just-in-time compilation.
- iTunes Home Sharing - allows iOS 4.3 users to play music, movies and TV shows on an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch® from their iTunes library on a Mac® or PC over a local Wi-Fi network.
- Enhancements to AirPlay - With iOS 4.3 you can stream additional content including video from third party apps and web sites, videos from the Photos app and previews from the iTunes app to your TV
- Personal Hotspot - This feature in iOS 4.3 lets you bring Wi-Fi with you anywhere you go, by allowing you to share an iPhone 4 cellular data connection with up to five devices in a combination of up to three Wi-Fi, three Bluetooth and one USB device.

iOS 4.3 is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 GSM, 3rd Gen iPod Touch, 4th Gen iPod Touch, iPad, and iPad 2. It will be available for download starting on March 11th.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream