4x4 Suspension Question

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Unforgiven

4x4 Suspension Question

Post by Unforgiven »

Hi Guys

Since my trip up north and other 4x4 adventures the old shocks in the 4bee are getting a bit tired and I want to put softer springs in the rear for offroad rather than towing. All the shocks look to have never been changed which is impressive but all the rubbers, bushes are quiete cracked now plus the drivers side front shock is leaking/seaping. I am looking to buy new shocks and leafs for my 1989 Jackaroo Currently I have 2 brands that I am looking at.... Tough Dog or Ironman. I have 3 questions.....

1) For the extra $500 odd dollars is it worth putting new torsion bars in. I would really prefer saving the money as I'm already looking around the $1000 mark and the Ironman full 45mm kits are $1395 and the toughdog $1800. I am already looking at $1125 for TD and $932 for IM.

2) Any oppinions on tough Dog or IronMan suspension. I know of a couple of people who are using IM and they dont have any issues and overall say that you get a good ride on and off road.

3) Nitro or foam cell. I have heard that foam cell shocks dont overheat as easily and give a better ride over corrigations but if they do overheat they are destroyed. Also foamcell apparently give a firmer ride. On 4x4 tracks I am not looking for a firm ride and I really only drive on the open road on my way to and from said tracks.

Any help / opinions would be appreciated as I am very indecisive when it comes to stuff like this.
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: 4x4 Suspension Question

Post by kwijibo »

Dunno how many 4x4 experts we have around here -you might have some more luck over at http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

mm 10 of one half a dozen of the other.. both are good.

have you looked at ARB or TJM there the main 2 stores I used to go to, both have good Customer service.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

And both charge a fukn fortune :p
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

Many years ago, I had a '92 model Pajero kitted out with King springs & Bilstein shocks, got something like a 48mm lift plus was excellent off road & quite acceptable on road, have no idea how much that cost then or what it would be now, but maybe you could look at some alternatives like that, the ARB's & TJM's of this world like to flog their specific brands, food for thought maybe.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

ARB at Dandenong was quite good.. a few were in the DRFWDC (Dandenong Ranges Four Wheel Drive Club) and were open about good and the bad.

depends on where you are.. some work there just for the money and others have an interest for the job.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

wobblysauce wrote:mm 10 of one half a dozen of the other..
Is there a head scratching smilie????
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Unforgiven

Post by Unforgiven »

Went to ARB Dandy and they sell Old Man Emu (An ARB Brand) not only are they very expensive but they dont have shocks for my model.

I ended up just going with IronMan Shocks. Bought Shocks and a Leaf Bush set for $506 Delivered thats $440 for the shocks and $66 for bushes. I figure that I'll buys springs if I find that I need them. There is no saving in buying the whole kit at once.
They should make sham wow stubbie holders so if ya spill ya beer you can soak it straight up and put it back in the stubbie