what's a good car to bring the dog around in?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

what's a good car to bring the dog around in?

Post by ysu »

As the title says;
I'd like to find a nice, not to expensive car to carry the dog around in the back - preferably separated by a wire mesh or something. (is that in by default in any car)
I'd also like to have the normal 4 seat at least.

I'm not a SUV-lover person either, but that still leaves plenty of options...what do you guys think? What else is there to consider?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
thornz

Re: what's a good car to bring the dog around in?

Post by thornz »

One of these, they are sweet!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 246067.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pab

Post by pab »

Didn't they make a wagon version of the 360?
PB
Radioactive Race Engineering #16 / Lightning Karts KT100s #61
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

ysu wrote:As the title says;
I'd like to find a nice, not to expensive car to carry the dog around in the back - preferably separated by a wire mesh or something. (is that in by default in any car)

I'm not a SUV-lover person either, but that still leaves plenty of options...what do you guys think? What else is there to consider?
Ex-Taxi station wagon. Seriously, how bigs the fucking dog? Mine just rides on the back seat with a towel down.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

thornz wrote:One of these, they are sweet!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 246067.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Your used car prices in NZ are insanely cheap compared to ours.

I saw an E60 BMW 5er with a big arse dog in the back the other day.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

pab wrote:Didn't they make a wagon version of the 360?
sadly no

Edit: wait, I have a 380 and for a second I thought you meant that. There is apparently a mitsu 360 around, station wagon format oo...but it is a verrrry oooold car by the looks ;)
Last edited by ysu on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria wrote:
ysu wrote:As the title says;

Ex-Taxi station wagon. Seriously, how bigs the fucking dog? Mine just rides on the back seat with a towel down.
It's a normal sized labrador, but I'm sick of cleaning the seat. He'd not stay put. And for this reason someone needs to be with him in the back, too.
So we'd like to have a car with a separated rear compartment thingo, which can be full of hairs I don't care.

Oh, I do not want a too expensive one, below 10K I think is the aim. I'm more after car models, which you guys would recommend (like that subaru legacy - that looks good, even the price would be acceptable)
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

We have a clip plugged into the seat belt that then clips onto their collar - I don't particularly want 40kg of 'Titan' hitting me in the back of the head in a panic stop so these keeps him teethered. Also limits how much they can move around. The boy is fine, he just lays down and goes to sleep but the girl loves being in the front seat so this makes sure she stays in her place.
XLV SPORT
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hm...I'll try the clip, altho that does not leave the rear seat any cleaner. :)

Should I buy something like this falcon?
http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/FORD/ ... 08099&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or a lancer?
http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/MITSU ... 08099&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

subaru?
http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/SUBAR ... 72359&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or...?
I really dunno ...

edit
this looks big too - with the added advantage of limited off-road ability
http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/FORD/ ... 72359&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edit2: oh and while we're here, what's that separator grate or grill called? I presume it can be installed into any wagon sort of car?
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

I was under the impression you had to install a 'cargo barrier' in a wagon but I could be wrong.
XLV SPORT
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Lancer would be too small for a Labrador.

Subaru Outback, Liberty Wagon would be ok.

Or Mazda 6 Wagon http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/MAZDA ... 04003&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In each case you'll have to get a cargo barrier.

And for God's sake don't get the "Exploder".
:teach:
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

A bit over the price but fun to ride around in :)
Nissan Stagea
Last edited by dvestate on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

thanks guys, keep it coming ;)
yeah a bit over may not be a problem. If it looks any decent car is above 10K then we'll just go above 10K I guess.
hm that mazda 6 looks very nice too...but isn't the boot small with the roof coming down like that?

Edit; just reading about the nissan Stagea RS4 (aka skyline wagon), that's a great car, too!
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Toyota Camry wagon.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/TOYOT ... 56509&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you'd have to go look at the cars to see if they're going to be big enough in the back or if their seats fold down etc.

A hatchback with seats that fold flat would be big enough if you don't need the rear seats+dog, but I don't know if any would have wire screens available.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Yeah that toyota camry wagon might be enough, funny thing that it seems to be a bit expensive, compared to the other similar ones. Or am I wrong?

And if you compare it to the stagea, it looks to be smaller, and underpowered too. Altho I've got a powerful enough car already, I don't really need the power in this one. (have I really said that? no....)
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Well, I really think you need one of these...

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/SKODA ... 94340&pt=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or even more "practical"

http://www.drive.com.au/search/buy-used ... BO/?from=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: And don't you dare buy a Camry. At least the Mazda is nice to drive.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hm...to revive an old thread.
I'm still thinking on this one, but also actively looking for a Stagea.
I've found this importer site in the meantime: http://j-spec.com.au/featured/Nissan/Stagea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and asked them a few questions, as it seems things are a bit Japanese on these cars.
It turns out that yes, everything will be japanese. I can buy stickers to cover the buttons, but the menus & satnav...
Now, I'm wondering, do you guys reckon there's any way to replace the software in it? At least the satnav...? Ever heard of something like this?

Also: what's your opinion of the Legnum?
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/res ... ds=&Nne=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by the way this is the one I'd really like to have :D
Nissan_GTR_Wagon.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ysu on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Leaving the satnav to one side for a minute, my opinion would be to run away altogether.

Whom do you take it to if you have a problem? Does your local Nissan dealer carry parts for it or does everything have to come from Japan? Are the local Nissan parts interpreters able to look up its VIN / Chassis number to find said parts?

As the owner of a Japanese import rally car, ringing up an Australian dealership for parts is a bit of a nightmare, because their systems all rely on the Oz-spec VIN.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

VTRacing wrote:Leaving the satnav to one side for a minute, my opinion would be to run away altogether.

Whom do you take it to if you have a problem? Does your local Nissan dealer carry parts for it or does everything have to come from Japan? Are the local Nissan parts interpreters able to look up its VIN / Chassis number to find said parts?

As the owner of a Japanese import rally car, ringing up an Australian dealership for parts is a bit of a nightmare, because their systems all rely on the Oz-spec VIN.
Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the advice. I'll double-think the whole thing ;)
Altho it might be simpler than we think; it's after all a nissan skyline-based car.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

And my car is a Subaru WRX STi.

The point is the Chassis number on my car doesn't match anything that Subaru sold here in Australia, and all the dealership systems rely on being able to punch in that number to bring up a list of the parts that apply to that model.

Maybe the importers have a way around it for these cars, but it's certainly a question I'd be asking.
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

YSU there is only one car you need for your dog mate...

Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

c.j wrote:YSU there is only one car you need for your dog mate...
Nono! You misunderstand me. I don't need a car for the dog;
I need a nice car for myself, which I can put the car into the back, separated from the human users.

:lol:

Thanks VT; I'll ask the guys.

Edit:
hm...maybe I should just stick to falcodores. Millions use them after all. Hell, some even like them.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

with the you can get a Stagea and just get the front end of the GTR and swap it out.

I know that is getting the swap done full front end(bumper, hood, left and right quarter panels, lights) for 1k I think it was + quite a few dock fees .. just looks like a skyline wagon.. but I prefer the Stagea stock look.. but it is up to the owner.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

wobblysauce wrote:with the you can get a Stagea and just get the front end of the GTR and swap it out.

I know that is getting the swap done full front end(bumper, hood, left and right quarter panels, lights) for 1k I think it was + quite a few dock fees .. just looks like a skyline wagon.. but I prefer the Stagea stock look.. but it is up to the owner.
Honestly, I think it is the biggest waste of money to spend it on body kits. What's under the bonnet is important, not what's on it.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Mx-5. Problem solved.