Triple J Feature Album this week is...

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West.

WTF and WHY??!?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Re: Triple J Feature Album this week is...

Post by Vilante »

Are you fucking serious? Next week it'll be Miley Cyrus! I thought the 2009 hottest 100 was getting a bit mainstream but that's ridonculous.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

JJJ isnt as up and coming as it used to be. The Uni's are more into main stream now.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

JJJ's have always played Kanye Wests stuff..

And, as much as I hate the guy, its a fantastic album..
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

difference is.. they were playing him before he got popular, now there playing top40.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I'm having difficulty telling the difference between triple j and nova these days. Musically anyway. The same could be said for a lot of artists originally played on the jays... Presets, grinspoon, poofinger and hilltops to name a very select few. Commercial radio are "stealing" artists from triple j almost immediately these days, I don't think it's a matter of them becoming more commercial but the commercial guys getting smarter and realizing there's a lot more music out there than lady gaga and Kesha.
That said, I don't like kayne or his music...
somebloke

Post by somebloke »

Gypsy and the cat was a good feature album last week.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

wobblysauce wrote:difference is.. they were playing him before he got popular, now there playing top40.
So now they should stop?

I always dislike how people think JJJ has to be different from Nova.
Good music is good music, JJJ goes out of there way to find new/interesting things, if a song is good of course Nova/other stations will pick it up.

The great thing about JJJ is they don't kill a song, Sometimes I think Nova play the same song twice in one program.. JJJ has a great lot of DJ's who keep things intresting, sure popular songs (and feature albums) get played daily but I would be surprised if they ever really played a song more then 6 hours apart.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

nutty wrote:..I always dislike how people think JJJ has to be different from Nova..
I said nothing about Dislike, it is that other stations are cloning the J's
nutty wrote:...The great thing about JJJ is they don't kill a song, Sometimes I think Nova play the same song twice in one program.. JJJ has a great lot of DJ's who keep things intresting, sure popular songs (and feature albums) get played daily but I would be surprised if they ever really played a song more then 6 hours apart...
I like that about them and that is why there still my main station.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Still my main station but I'm no Kanye West fan. :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Is every Kanye song infected with that auto-tune crap? I don't listen to much radio but whenever one of his songs comes on it seems to be the way.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

His first 3-4 didnt, but 808s And Heartbreaks was full of it (and my least fav)

the new one, you will be happy to know is auto tune free (well at least the whole Cher speaking into a fan style)
richo

Post by richo »

Its funny it doesn't just happen with music that Triple J makes accessible but the presenters too :(

I wonder if Richard Kingsmill finds the staff as well? Someone there has a bloody good eye for talent.
[]D [] []v[] []D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

nutty wrote:His first 3-4 didnt, but 808s And Heartbreaks was full of it (and my least fav)

the new one, you will be happy to know is auto tune free (well at least the whole Cher speaking into a fan style)
I liked 808's and heartbreaks because it has some really great rythm tracks, Paraniod is just an awesome track. I never heard any of his other albums apart from radio stuff.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

nutty wrote:
I always dislike how people think JJJ has to be different from Nova.
Good music is good music, JJJ goes out of there way to find new/interesting things, if a song is good of course Nova/other stations will pick it up.

The great thing about JJJ is they don't kill a song, Sometimes I think Nova play the same song twice in one program.. JJJ has a great lot of DJ's who keep things intresting, sure popular songs (and feature albums) get played daily but I would be surprised if they ever really played a song more then 6 hours apart.
Spot on, I was listening to Nova on Boxing day, within 3 hours, there were at least 6 songs played twice. That's no exaggeration, it's the only reason I kept listening, to hear how many songs were repeated.

Nova play a good mix of Commercial Pop and some of the indy stuff too, My biggest gripes are, exactly as you say, the magical ability of commercial Radio to kill a song through excess, and the fact they claim that "Nova plays New Music 1st". That last statement is absolute shit. They play song's on average, say 1 to 3 months after JJJ did.

Most of the people who claim the J's are not the same, are dreaming if they even think they are the J's demographic any more... face it, you're getting old. The other difference is that Pop music in General has seen a massive resurgence in the last 10 years. I'm not talking Britany or Beyonce, I'm talking good classic Pop. For example, Florence & The machine, they are Pop!, yes Pop, good lyrics, good tunes... POP!.. Pop is the Staple of the music industry, throughout the 90's people were ambushed with cheesy fluffy Pop!, it was driven with Gimmicks, it was driven by Money. All the decent Pop acts of the 90's were pushed aside and forgotten cos they had no interest in signing a deal with Pepsi. The J's had nowhere to go other than Grunge, Nu-Metal, Hip Hop and Electronica.

The "double" J's as I think they were in the 80's were filled with Pop anthems. Cos once upon a time they were actually cool. Now it's getting ever so close to Pop returning to it's rightful place. The shit that is cranking out of the US R&B scene at the moment though is extremely woeful and sickening. As is the trend to try and make every song a Dancefloor Anthem these days...pfft...

In saying all that though, Kanye West, I hate the bloke, Never been much of a fan of his music, I think maybe 3 or 4 of his tracks have ever tickled my fancy and it was some of his real early stuff. BUT!!!! Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is a fricken insane album. It is a mash up of so many different Genre's which just don't seem to go together. But somehow after a couple of listens it gets rather complicated in a good way. It's a little masterpiece to be honest. And I am by no means a Hip Hop Fan.

so in closing, I just want to repeat something.....

Most of the people who claim the J's are not the same, are dreaming if they even think they are the J's demographic any more
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I don't think I really ever liked JJJ.

RRR is heaps better... And SYN. But then again, I don't listen to radio much.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

I'm still in the J's demographic, but then I still haven't grown up :D

As for dancefloor albums, it seems black eyed peas went down that route and now every fat record label bastard and his dog are replicating them.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Enforcer-J wrote:I'm still in the J's demographic, but then I still haven't grown up :D

As for dancefloor albums, it seems black eyed peas went down that route and now every fat record label bastard and his dog are replicating them.
Yeah I guess they led the way, but the trend seems to be more down the David Guetta styled shit now. It's a massive trend following Orgy!
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I'm not in their demo any more but I still listen to new music, unlike many of my friends who are stuck in the 90's. I love Florence and the Machine and the like. I have last years hottest 100 on my iPod and lile 90% of it but I guess I get my back up when I hear "Hip Hop' from the states on the J's. I get my back up when I hear it anywhere really, I think it's rubbish.

I'm going to have a listen to Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy now though on your advice Hz and stop being a grumpy old man lol.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I'm not grumpy with the J's.. I like what they play. I too have an iPod full of it... I do get grumpy at those that bag them for changing when all they are doing is doing what they always have.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

You said it brutha. You know I can't even go into a clothes shop and buy a pair of shorts that go to my knees anymore! Know why that sux? Cause I'm getting old! :D
But I've listened to triple j and triple j only for the last 10 or so years and I've actually grown and evolved my tastes in music along with it. Like Hz said JJJ's the same as it's always been... the music's just different. That's what's so appealing about triple j. Don't get me wrong though, there's still crap music there and some of the hosts (Tom and Alex... why won't you fucking DIE you unfunny, tryhard tools!) are shit but it beats the hell out of everything else you can tune a radio into.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I actually find Tom & Alex rather amusing, but only as a pairing, Tom Ballards solo work is shit, and I don't wanna hear about him getting his neck on with a dude in the back of a Taxi ever again.. sheesh. They do rattle off some witty one liners here and there tho. I hated the Doctor on Mornings, and even more so in the arvo now, so anything was an upgrade.
My perfect breakfast lineup would be Robbie Buck, Ella Hooper & Shawn Micallif.. oh boy that would tickle my asshole!
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

Lol. Yeah doctor can'd DJ for shit but he knows the music scene so that saves it for me.

Shawn micalef would be great. Robbie was awesome too... really knew his stuff and funny aswell. Ella? Eh?
Adam and Will were my all time favourites and always will be. Really miss them on the radio together. Mikey and Paul were great too but I barely remember them. Myf was great too but by herself she was at her best I reckon. And the day Rosie leaves is a sad, sad day in my eyes.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
richo

Post by richo »

I don't mind the Doctor , he can barely string a sentence together but he seems to actually be happy doing his job which is a big plus . Not a huge fan of Tom and Alex though would love to have Helen Razer and Adam Spencer back again :)

Go Battalion 666!
[]D [] []v[] []D
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Friend of mine hooked up with Lindsay the other week.