Minecraft Modding and YOU!

No witty remarks yet.
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by tehsid »

So, you've been playing Minecraft for a while now, and you wonder to yourself "what else is there?".

WELL WONDER KNOW MORE, for today you can pick up the 'Minecraft Modding and YOU!' compilation thread for as little as NOTHING AT ALL!

All you have to do is scroll down the page a little!

*IF SOMETHING DOESN'T WORK, GO TO C:/Users/*Your username*/.appdata/Roaming/.minecraft and DELETE EVERYTHING. It'll force the game to redownload the files and you can start afresh.* (You may need to enable hidden files and folders to see .appdata)

----
First things first! (Skip this if you intend to only use default resolution textures)
Before you go hunting for a new texture pack, know this. They come in 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 and higher.
To use any texture pack higher then 16x16 you need to install Xau's HD Texture fix.
Its easy enough, just follow these directions (also listed in the forum above)
HOW TO USE
1. Download and run the latest .exe file below (mac/linux: use the .jar file)
2. If the file fields are not automatically filled in, hit the top browse button and find your minecraft.jar
3. If you don't have an HD texture pack installed, go download one, then hit the browse button next to "Texture Pack" and find the file for it. (tehsid note: I'll be listing some texture packs down the page, so scroll on down)
4. Click patch.
5. When it's done, click Run Minecraft.
Wasn't that easy? Good!

Texture Packs
A different texture pack and radically change the feeling of the game. Everything from the environment, to the tools you use can be changed. You can also mix and match your own, but I'll show you how to do that later. (once you've installed a texture pack, you should be able to figure it out)

16x16 Texture Packs

Kas's Painterly Pack
This is the go to texture pack for 16x16. Not only does it come with a pre-chosen set of textures, you can also use a customizer to pick from HUNDREDS of different texture options. The amount of work gone into this pack is fantastic, and it really shows. I use a version of this texture pack the most.
----

ShortStuf7's Clean Design Pack
This is a really nice and simple looking pack. It makes the game feel somewhat cartoony, but it still fits in really well.
----

KabPack
I haven't use KabPack, but I've been meaning too. Try it and tell me what you think.
----

32x32 Texture Packs (HD TEXTURE FIX REQUIRED!)

GERUDOKU texture pack
SIMPLY THE BEST. Really, this is a sexy texture pack. If you don't know what to start with, then start with this one.
----

TRONIC pack
Tronic is a texture pack for Minecraft that aims for a virtual or electronic feel. It does it well. Its really very nice.
MrMMods (BetterLighting/Grass) being used in these screens as well. It is almost a must have for this texture pack!
----

Faithful Pack
Can't stray away from the default textures, but you want to try a new set? Why not get some 32x versions of the default set. Looks nicer, with that classic Minecraft feel. Mmmm.
----

I'm not going to add any more texture packs in at the moment because 64x64+, in my opposition anyway, look silly and really don't fit with the game. If you use any other texture packs, post them up and I'll add them in here.

"Make the game look SEXY" mods
There are a few mods that add little touches to the game to make it look that little bit better, but none of them are as good as...

MrMMods (BetterLighting/Grass)
This mod is amazing, if it works for you. I know a few people who have problems with it, but then I know a lot who it works for, so ya know. Try it.
It adds;
- Soft lighting
- Soft shadows
- A minimap
- and a nifty little chatbox feature (TAB to reply to the last person who messaged you.)

Check out this LIGHTING!

(It is also being used in the TRONIC Pack screenshots.)
----

Wild Grass *WARNING* This hasn't been updated to work on BETA yet. I will update this thread when its working. I just wanted to get it out of the way now.
Gives you grass coming out of you grass blocks. Yeah. It looks great when you wonder into a rolling field. Another must have mod!
----

Thats all I have time to write at the moment. I'll update this with more visual mods in the next day or two, and I'll reserve the next post for a few single player only mods.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to PM me or reply in this thread and I'll do what I can to help, as will a few others I'm sure.
tehsid

Re: Minecraft Modding and YOU!

Post by tehsid »

*Reserved*
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-appare ... ming/e713/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

How do they work? As in do you get extra blocks or are the current blocks just modified?

Kas's and Gerodoku's look awesome!
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
tehsid

Post by tehsid »

With the ones I've posted so far, they are only texture replacements. So they don't modify any block settings.

I'll post some mods that add new blocks and items later, but they are single player only.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Lochie and I are using this...quite noice I reckon!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 25&t=73861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

I found it u doooofus
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Lochie0911 wrote:I found it u doooofus
Well I didnt say you did...BOXHEAD
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I can feel the love... :D
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

In fact..Axel found it...Lochie borrowed it...then claimed he found it...Kids... :p
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Hazelb wrote:In fact..Axel found it...Lochie borrowed it...then claimed he found it...Kids... :p
Well, hes not on ARSE i claim the rights :P
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Hazelb wrote:Lochie and I are using this...quite noice I reckon!

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 25&t=73861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just tried it. Hadnt used a texture pack before.

Great find Haydyn :up: Looks great
--------------
Stu
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Bauer wrote:
Hazelb wrote:Lochie and I are using this...quite noice I reckon!

Just tried it. Hadnt used a texture pack before.

Great find Haydyn :up: Looks great
Thanx Bud...took me ages to find it too... :)
Lochie0911

Post by Lochie0911 »

Excuse me? Sam mentioned i found it. Ur first comment was, i like the glass. Lol
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I use the Mixcraft texture pack - everything is more contrasty with extra detail. in my opinion pretty faithful to the original textures, just looks a lot nicer.
It's been nice, chaps.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Bugger, whenever I install a texture pack using the patcher Minecraft refuses to run full screen, delete the contents of the bin directory and full screen ability returns. Any ideas?
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Not sure, I always run mine widowed and just stretch it bigger
It's been nice, chaps.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Got it sorted, deleted everything bar my saves in .minecraft and let it download everything again then patched and it was ok this time.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Thought I'd post up my newly modded minecraft :D
I now use the LB Photo Realism 256x256 texture pack combined with a depth of field mod. in my opinion it looks awesome - the DOF focuses on wherever you have your crosshair, so looking far ahead brings it into focus. Here's some screens:

It's been nice, chaps.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

wasnt sure if I like that or not. I think I do :)
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Yeah looks cool, can you give us a link to both the texture pack and the Depth of field mod please?
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Here you go:
texture pack: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 1&t=136785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shaders / DOF http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=128043" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I imagine the shader / DOF mod would look brilliant with stock textures, if people don't like the texture pack. It's like they re-wrote the rendering engine somehow, because it also enables you to run AA (however changing the setting locks the game, you have to close and re-open and it'll be changed)
It's been nice, chaps.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Tried the DOF mod last night, i cant handle it. Made me very nautious :\
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

dof is usually the first thing I switch off in games :D
Those realistic textures I like a lot, though!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/730 ... -redstone/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:O