Minecraft Mapping Mods

No witty remarks yet.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Minecraft Mapping Mods

Post by NeilPearson »

Been messing around with some Map mods! I have been checking out BiomeTerrain Editor Sadly it doesnt and doesnt work on BETA, as the original author hasnt been around to update it. Someone has updated the Singleplayer mod, which is here

Thankfully however I had a Alpha Server file laying around and I could use that to generate some maps using the MinecraftLandGenerator.

This is a tutorial I found. Its a few steps to setup, but its great once you do!

It also takes into account you have put your JAVA into your path directory TUTORIAL
someguy wrote: Just keep in mind this applies to SMP 0.2.8 so let's hope you already know how to setup and run a server.

Step 1.
Make a new server folder. Let's call it BioTerrorGen

Step 2.a
Want to continue using your old map?
First Things First!: back up your world folder!
Copy the world folder from your old server to BioTerrorGen

Step 2.b
Want to make a new map?
You'll need the following files in BioTerrorGen
minecraft_server.jar v0.2.8 [NESSACERY]
BiomeTerrainMod_SMP_v11_2.jar HERE
BiomeTerrainModSettings.ini HERE

Step 3
MinecraftLandGenerator, ah our new friend.
It works by changing the spawn point and then starting the server. This forces the server to generate chunks without anyone being on the server. Server is then stopped, Chunks Saved. Rinse and Repeat. Finally the spawn is set back to where it was.

Copy the contents of that to BioTerrorGen
So to recap our folder should be looking like this:
[lib]
[world]
BiomeTerrainMod_SMP_v11_2.jar
BiomeTerrainModSettings.ini
minecraft_server.jar
MinecraftLandGenerator.conf
MinecraftLandGenerator.jar

Step 4
open MinecraftLandGenerator.conf with notepad or your favorite text editor.

The first line is simply what you'd normally have in your serverstart.bat which varies from system to system. I'm using vista so this is what I have:

Code: Select all

java=java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -cp BiomeTerrainMod_SMP_v11_2.jar;minecraft_server.jar net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer nogui
serverpath=c:\games\minecraft\BioTerrorGen\
Second line should be obvious. It's just the path to your server folder. In our case it's BioTerrorGen.
It should also be noted to not load any other mods as MinecraftLandGenerator starts/stops the server repeatedly. Any extra seconds other mods take to load will do nothing but add to the total time.

Step 5
Make a new batch file and call it landgen.bat

Code: Select all

java -jar MinecraftLandGenerator.jar 1500 1500 -v > output.txt
The two numbers are how many blocks from the spawn point chunks are generated. So if your existing world is larger than 3000x3000 you're gonna have to step it up a . 5000x5000 took me about 40 minutes on my old q4400.

Start landgen.bat and watch the % tick away, defrag style. Well, either that or go find something else to do. It does show the estimated time after each spawn chunk is generated.

Step 6
Copy the newly generated world folder to a new server folder containing the updated beta server. Run as you normally would including any mods that do work with the beta. Enjoy your old fancy terrain with all the new fancy features of beta.
At least until you venture outside the pre-generated area. Now it's just a race for either Hey0/Borderlands or BiomeTerrainMod to get updated.
If you haven't realized it by now, this really is the best way to test biometerrainmod settings. you can generate the land and then simply view in your favorite minecraft mapper.
Once you have done all these millions of steps, you can run a mapper on the world and get the map below!

HERE is a thread which has a whole heap of different settings. just to show what you can do with this.

WARNING 30mb file in the link! 1500x1500 world!!