Subaru Forester Replacement Options

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Subaru Forester Replacement Options

Post by smithcorp »

Hi all

Probably have to get rid of the 01 Forester this year - things starting to go wrong with it (clutch master cylinder, window seals, did a wheel bearing etc). Not going with a manual this time (wife is very hard on the clutch), but want a similar sort of vehicle - a wagon but not too large, room for two kids, all-wheel-drive for safety, elevated driving position, reliable. The current car's got a bout 105,000 kms. Redbook says its got low miles and trade-in is worth $4,700 - $6,500.

I'm looking for views and inputs from ARSEs please. Fairly early days, but I have got the options to:

Another Subaru Forester - the 2010 version is heavily discounted at the moment, but they still have a 4-speed auto (so does the 2011 model), plus it's pretty ugly.

Subaru Liberty Wagon - latest version is ugly as a hatful, great car otherwise, but it would be about $10K more than the Forester.

VW Golf wagon - not all-wheel-drive, a bit smaller, but Euro quality and reasonable pricing

VW Tiguan - all-wheel-drive, Euro quality, affordable, but small luggage space (may be too small - we haven't driven it yet).

Thoughts, alternatives, anything I've left out or should reconsider?

Thanks

smith
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Re: Subaru Forester Replacement Options

Post by VTRacing »

A few more to think about Nissan Dualis (nice, but gutless), and the Hyundai ix35 (diesel is a rocket, apparently). Though if it's big enough for you, the Tiguan would be the best car.

The wife has an 09 Forester, they look pretty good if you go for the optional sports grille to get rid of the stupid chrome thing.
:teach:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Check out the load space on that Tiguan - absolutely tiny!

If you look at the Hyundai ix35 then also look at the Kia Sportage. Same underpinnings but Kia drives a bit better from most reports and can be had a tiny bit cheaper - you can even get air conditioned seats on the top model! Definitely go the diesel though.

Golf wagons are pretty nice and if you want something slightly left of field check out the Skoda Octavia. Not a great looker but same as a Golf underneath and with great luggage space. You can get a good deal too - should be a much cheaper starting price than a Golf VI. Spend a bit more and you can get in a base model Skoda Superb wagon - check out the rear leg room and prepare to be blown away by how much space they have.

I don't mind the look of the Forrester. The current Liberty/Outback are horrible lookers though. I'm very disappointed with the non-turbo drivetrains of current Subarus. They're meant to have an all new engine in the new model Forrester but it's barely got anything over the old engine. Five speed manuals and four speed autos are missing at least one ratio each too. When a base model Commodore has a 6 speed auto you know they're behind the times in the department. Besides those downers I think the Forrester is the best all-round package in the field. I wouldn't buy one because I like cars with special interiors and most of the time you need to head European to get something nice.
Last edited by Exar Kun on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Exar Kun wrote:look at the Kia Sportage
:smackbum:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

smithcorp wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:look at the Kia Sportage
:smackbum:
LOL - it's better than the Hyundai! Both will probably hurt on re-sale though. Kia are on a great run at the moment. Ex Audi guy is their chief of design now. Check out how their cars look - the Optima craps on most cars in the sector and build quality is as good as Hyundai's which has consistently come near the top of the JD Power initial quality surveys conducted in the US over recent years. The same could not be said of VW...
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

my old man looked at the Tiguan and said the rear seats were rock hard, but he said it went like shit off a shovel. He loved the engine. Like us, he ended up with an X-Trail just because it was the best all round light offroader. We got the 6 speed auto diesel(Renault engine), he got the CVT petrol. Both are nice. The CVT isn't as bad as it sounds like it'd be. You hardly notice it's not changing gears. Also there's plenty of room in the back too. My son is 15 so we had to make sure he'd still be able to fit into the back in the next 5 years. But it's not a big car on the outside, so it fits my tiny wife perfectly. The main selling point though was that is was the most comfortable to be in, we drove to Micks wedding in Canberra and back and i felt just as fresh after a full day in it as when i got into it. Good size inside and out, good on juice, comfy and affordable.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

To give you an idea on sale price, I just sold my Impreza RS (MY03, 2.5L, 5 speed manual) with 103k on the clock for $12,800 (private sale). But it was in pretty good condition... I still miss it. :(
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I would think twice about euro cars due to the cost of servicing, at least worth checking the ongoing costs.

You can get Forester's with a diesel engine these days, but manual only I think, same with the outback, or a Forester with a wrx engine, lots of fun but pricey.

We bought a 2010 Liberty sedan last year, it is the best car I have ever owned, especially with the CVT setup. Plenty of room, comfortable, economical, I enjoy driving it, especially in old man mode :D

We also still have the '06 model Outback, great car, about 130K now, manual, no problems whatever. I have had four Subies over the years, so I am a bit biased.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

I love Subarus and this one has been really reliable, but I'm so pissed off with how crap the Liberty looks now.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

You could always guy a 2nd hand MY09 Liberty :D
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

Mx-5?
durbster
The Whack Wasp Warrior

Post by durbster »

smithcorp wrote:...all-wheel-drive for safety...
Eh? :?

What about the Mazda CX-7? Supposed to be a good drive.

The Volvo XC90 always gets decent reviews, or if you could cope with a smaller (but no less practical) car then Fiat Pandas are also up there. They even do a 4x4 version :)

I'm not sure if they're all available over there though.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Nope, no Pandas here.

CX-7 is nice, but petrol ones are thirsty and the diesel is manual-only (like the Forester).
:teach:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I'll throw another Skoda in the mix. :D The Yeti is due to land here this year. Tiguan sized. Evo magazine loves it. Even JC gave it wraps!
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

what about an Outlander? we're on our 2nd model now and we love them to bits. Good on fuel, 4x4 with a 2wd option, plenty of room if you go the 07 onwards. Not the most powerful thing but what you'd expect from a 2.4litre, or you could always go for the 6cyl model, but the prices are up there.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Outlander's one we'll look at hz - we'll take some for a drive this weekend.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Just read woodsy's post from before. We test drove a '08 Xtrail when looking at the Outlander. It was a magnificent car, it was probably the nicest driving of everything we looked at. My missus is very biased towards outlanders though so that was it. The only thing we didn't like about the Xtrail was how dated the interior looked. But I think '09 onwards are a bit more modern inside.

Oh, just to add, the back seats in the outlander are quite hard. Fine for around the town but I reckon the kids might get a bit restless on those long journeys. But your gonna get that in any vehicle with full folding seats I guess. But, try them out and see what you think.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

funny you mention that Hurtzy, we were so close to going for the Outlander as we felt it was nicer looking, but the seats in the X-Trail were more comfy.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

do the Xtrails have completely folding rear seats?
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Well, after driving some different vehicles, we decided on the VW Tiguan. Big driveaway deal on at the moment for the MY10/2011 compliance versions and they are a great car to drive. The boot is small, but we believe we can live with it and the roofracks from our Subaru will go straight on the Tiguan.

We are getting a 125tsi one with 7-speed DSG box, metallic paint (blue), comfort pack (climate control, auto lights and wipers, stuff like that) a VW towbar (which talks to the stability control and other systems) and some window blinds chucked in. $39,800 on the road, less $5,000 for the Subaru as tradein (rego is due in 2 weeks!).

We were particularly disappointed with the MY11 Forester auto. Engine is quite nice, but the gearshifts are clunky, the car rattled and drummed and felt tinny. Subaru have let technology pass them by. The VW felt far more sophisticated, was much better appointed, quieter and smoother, and quicker by far (2-litre turbo). And the Forester was more expensive by far!

Should pick it up next Saturday barring complications.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Nice one Smiss. Look forward to seeing it.

A have never fully understood the wrap people give Subarus. Nice cars for sure, but overpriced and bloody expensive to service from what I have heard.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Very nice dude - I might have been suggesting other options but you picked the nicest drive and build in the class. If you can live with the little boot then it's top notch. Sounds like a great deal too - I've seen a few of these being cleared at good prices waiting for the new model.