New map when 1.5 comes out?

No witty remarks yet.

Do we change the map when 1.5 comes out?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Yes - we have been going for a few months now. Change is good
69%
No - FFS why do we keep having to start again
6%
Dont care - happy to go with ARSE's somewhat chemist increased flow
25%

Total votes: 16

Bauer

New map when 1.5 comes out?

Post by Bauer »

Just wanted to get a feel

It seems that those who have invested a lot of time in the current map are ok with a new map but I wanted to suss out the more casual 'crafter

Im ok with it even though Im still building.

Must be poll time.
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Re: New map when 1.5 comes out?

Post by Shonky »

I'm not too fussed either way, I've got a lot of likes, and a lot of dislikes with the current map.

Current Likes;
There's some great structures on the server that have had many hours work in them.
I'm proud of the distances I've covered in in railway links.
Mined to a point now where I can build whatever I want without worrying about resources.

Dislikes
The spawn area looks pox, has zero aesthetic value and is a poor example to new players of what can be done in minecraft.
The distance between building sites, map has little community feel to it, I liked how on the old map you could see what others were up to around you.
I know I made the point above that I dont need to mine resources, but this is minecraft and I dislike that I don't have a reason to mine much these days.

Maybe we need to work on themes or something, having a goal could be cool, it would need some organisation, it would also need people willing to help build even if they haven't contributed to the design, I'm not entirely sure how we go about it but it would be good to hear what others think.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

i think a new map would be good, i got bored because i had to mine so far away from everyone else when i started and it felt just like single player, think i would enjoy it more being with a bunch of people mining :D
Hello :aussie:
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

SHoNKY wrote:Maybe we need to work on themes or something, having a goal could be cool, it would need some organisation, it would also need people willing to help build even if they haven't contributed to the design, I'm not entirely sure how we go about it but it would be good to hear what others think.
Like this idea, I haven't been around much since the update (on hols for 6 weeks) but when I did get back on I wasn't motivated to start building again. Having a group project or a given a job to do would be good for me :)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Still waiting for ADSL to be connected... so my input is null and void ;)
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Even though I've done heaps of work on the current map. I can't justify keeping the old one. Everything I've built is distant from everyone and is suited to a town/city theme anyway with heaps of people around.

Also, I have hardly any resources anyway, surprisingly.

Means I can make the stadium properly this time :P
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Lets go back to a grid/neighbor hood style build? I'm not very artistic, nor creative, that's what puts me off from a joint effort, but I'll definitely give it a try!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I want to see the ARSE logo made in Minecraft.

New map! :)
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Santaria wrote:Lets go back to a grid/neighbor hood style build? I'm not very artistic, nor creative, that's what puts me off from a joint effort, but I'll definitely give it a try!
Could do, but a neighbourhood alot more creative (layout wise) than what we had last time.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

norbs wrote:I want to see the ARSE logo made in Minecraft.

Prior to wool

--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Brett_S wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:Maybe we need to work on themes or something, having a goal could be cool, it would need some organisation, it would also need people willing to help build even if they haven't contributed to the design, I'm not entirely sure how we go about it but it would be good to hear what others think.
Like this idea, I haven't been around much since the update (on hols for 6 weeks) but when I did get back on I wasn't motivated to start building again. Having a group project or a given a job to do would be good for me :)
Same, sometimes I get on the server, spend some time wandering round looking at what folks have done and then leave just because I have a mental block on what to do next, comes from me being a technical mind I guess, I can think of the way to build something, just struggle to think of what to build.
AstrO wrote:Still waiting for ADSL to be connected... so my input is null and void ;)
Your opinion is valued like everyone elses mate, not everyone has the time to play MC like some of us, so when those that don't have the time find some, we want them to enjoy it, so if you have any likes or dislikes, post them up.
Santaria wrote:Lets go back to a grid/neighbor hood style build? I'm not very artistic, nor creative, that's what puts me off from a joint effort, but I'll definitely give it a try!
For the not so creative amongst us that's one of the good things about something like a community build, those that have the creative ability can come up with the designs, while others can gather materials if that's their thing, and others can take someone elses design and turn it from materials to reality, while it sounds corny, I think it can work if we put our minds to it.

For example, some days after the grind at work I get home and love to mine relentlessly, lets the brain switch off and unwind, that's mainly how I've gotten to a point now where I don't need to mine, which sucks at times.
norbs wrote:I want to see the ARSE logo made in Minecraft.

It could happen. :D I'm thinking we could have an ideas thread where if folks have an idea, they can make a post to keep for future reference, and then we can pick a a few of them and run with them until completion, cross them off, and move on to the next.
NeilPearson wrote:
Could do, but a neighbourhood alot more creative (layout wise) than what we had last time.
Agreed, Raz and I just tried something on an island and it works ok, the island has some up and down in it and one of the provisos we had for building there was that anything we built would conform to the lay of the ground, and for the most part it makes things that bit more interesting.

Keep the ideas coming folks. :D
Last edited by Shonky on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTM29

Post by JTM29 »

SHoNKY wrote: Same, sometimes I get on the server, spend some time wandering round looking at what folks have done and then leave just because I have a mental block on what to do next, comes from me being a technical mind I guess, I can think of the way to build something, just struggle to think of what to build.
Yeh im the same, i like building stuff but i can never think of something to build...

I would like a new map, havent done much on the current one but would like a clean slate :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

some good comments i like:

"building to the lay of the land"

"working together to build something as a community."

By the poll, no one is against a map change.

My thoughts would be to limit the structures at the spawn point to those that resemble a typical mining town. Google images will help but essentially wood and stone "shanty" type mines and simple structures of a typical old fashioned mining town. Gravel roads around the place (like the path up to Loggers Lookout) Everyone can do their own thing within the guideline of the theme.

From there, maybe a coastal port somewhere appropriate with a theme. Rome? Greece? ye olde England? Once again, google images helps.

Just thoughts.
--------------
Stu
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I don't mind either way. It would be nice all building together again though - I also like the 'build to the lay of the land comment'. I usually do this and like the way it turns out. Feels like you're bastardising the land less too :D
It's been nice, chaps.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Things I have tried to build and found I am fucking hopeless at.

A velodrome.
The Big Banana.
Said ARSE logo.
Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

According to twitter, 1.5 is out.

We should be chatting further around what we want to do on a new map before we change.

Thoughts?
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Currently the server refuses to update to 1.5 and since I'm at work all I can do is run the update occasionally to see what happens, if that doesn't pan out the server won't be sorted till I get home from work.
norbs

Post by norbs »

I gave it a run in SP this morning. Has stats now. Cool. :)

The ladder upgrade is a fucker though.

I was at the bottom of my map in a dungeon that leads to my mob grinder and I had ladders every 2nd block to get up and down. Well it took me probably 20 minutes to hack my way back to ground level.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

norbs wrote:I gave it a run in SP this morning. Has stats now. Cool. :)

The ladder upgrade is a fucker though.

I was at the bottom of my map in a dungeon that leads to my mob grinder and I had ladders every 2nd block to get up and down. Well it took me probably 20 minutes to hack my way back to ground level.
Lol, that'll teach you norbs. I always put ladders every block just so it looks good. :D
It's been nice, chaps.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

hopefully you guys hold off the map change for a couple of weeks, im mainly at my gfs house and they just changed net and it wont be up to speed for another couple of weeks
Hello :aussie:
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Alright server is now 1.5 with the old map for the time being, chest protection is offline until we see an update for Bukkit and associated plugins.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

How come the old map is still there? I thought the majority were for a new map? Bring on the new map I say.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Santaria wrote:How come the old map is still there? I thought the majority were for a new map? Bring on the new map I say.
Yep, forgot about that, freshly generated map is up. Don't get to fond of it, if we nut out a plan on the forum, we may start from scratch again.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

SHoNKY wrote:
Santaria wrote:How come the old map is still there? I thought the majority were for a new map? Bring on the new map I say.
Yep, forgot about that, freshly generated map is up. Don't get to fond of it, if we nut out a plan on the forum, we may start from scratch again.
I'm liking the lay of the land idea. There's still no option to move the spawn point? That would stop the need for restarting a new map if there's a poll on the forums I guess.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I was reading the full list of updates on the wiki. Looks like glass roofs leak, which is fine starting a new server... but on my brothers server I have a massive house (complete glass roof), several train stations, shop, blacksmith, church and Aztec temple that will all leak. Lots of repairing to do now :(