Couple of weeks from an upgrade, what to get?

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hey guys since everyone has jumped ship from the iphone to the samsung galaxy s2 i have been looking at doing the same. Basically i have an iphone 3gs and i don't think upgrading to the iphone 4 or 4s (whatever the next one is) will be a big enough upgrade because its all the same shit. Seems like the Samsung is better with Android too. So my question is why did you choose to go away from the iphone and do you regret it, if so why if not why. Cheers
Hello :aussie:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Couple of weeks from an upgrade, what to get?

Post by w00dsy »

No regrets, it does everything the iPhone does and more. Plus no more iTunes. For adding songs I just use winamps Wi-Fi feature. No matter where my phone is in the house I just drag and drop in winamp and it'll go to the phone. Lots of other great features but it's like being set free from the restrictions of the iPhone. IPhones are great but the galaxy s2 is better. I know dex won't agree :)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I hate iTunes and thats a big contributer of even considering moving away from the iPhone, i always thought once i had it i wouldn't need another phone. I don't have Wi-Fi at my place is it easy enough to plug the phone in and get stuff onto it? As long as its easier than having to constantly sync the phone with itunes to put one new photo on etc it would be an improvement.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Set phone to storage mode. Plug phone into pc. copy music across.

Easy as.
Doso

Post by Doso »

also have a look at google music hopefully it will be pretty awersome when they finally release here in Australia (you can bypas this restriction if you want to 8)

[youtube]ZrNhKcxBbZo [/youtube]
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

w00dsy wrote:I know dex won't agree :)

:D :yes:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

All looks pretty good, i can upgrade next Thursday so i will go to the shop and have a look. Fair to say i will probably walk out with a new phone. Android seems to be the way to go, while i do like the iPhone something different will be nice for a change. Anyone got any bad things about the Samsung Galaxy S2?
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Shaun wrote:All looks pretty good, i can upgrade next Thursday so i will go to the shop and have a look. Fair to say i will probably walk out with a new phone. Android seems to be the way to go, while i do like the iPhone something different will be nice for a change. Anyone got any bad things about the Samsung Galaxy S2?

Battery is an issue for some people. Most nights I go to bed and it is less than 20%.

I find it hard to use one handed (cue wanker jokes). Seems a bit too thin. I got a case for it today and it makes it loads better.

The colours by default are way over cooked. You can adjust this I have since found out.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
richo

Post by richo »

Any idea if this gizmo and the phones it goes on supports FLAC ?
[]D [] []v[] []D
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Battery life doesnt bother me too much, i will take a charger to work, my iphone will never last a day at work i obviously have too much time to play games lol. What do you mean with the colours? also is the expandable memory just micro SD?
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

richo wrote:Any idea if this gizmo and the phones it goes on supports FLAC ?

just tested, flac works fine :yes:
norbs

Post by norbs »

Shaun wrote:Battery life doesnt bother me too much, i will take a charger to work, my iphone will never last a day at work i obviously have too much time to play games lol. What do you mean with the colours? also is the expandable memory just micro SD?
The colours just seemed to vivid.

Micro SD yes.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

when i got mine the colors seemed like someone had ramped up the saturation, but i got used to it and even with the new ROM it's much better. But other phones seem really dull now, i think it's just the screen is so vivid like Norbs said.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

cool, the only bad things really dont sound too bad at all. Think i will get one
cheers for the answers boys
richo

Post by richo »

w00dsy wrote:
richo wrote:Any idea if this gizmo and the phones it goes on supports FLAC ?

just tested, flac works fine :yes:

Thanks Woogle !!
[]D [] []v[] []D
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

stay away from vodafone!!!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I'll post just because I'm not an Android fan like everyone else here and it's probably good to hear it from both sides. The people using S2's at work (as mentioned) find they are going flat pretty fast, not sure what that will mean when the phone is getting older, but I'm assuming you can change the battery like other android devices? They are less locked down than an iPhone and allow you do get away from iTunes, and syncing etc.

However it seems less stable to me, perhaps that's also a manufacturer thing rather than android in general, but there always seems to be issues with the android phones on display at work. I was gunna record a video yesterday actually, out of 6 Android tablets we have at work, 2 were locked up and wouldn't restart. And the other wouldnt turn on at all :S

It's an on going issue even if we get them working again it's only a matter of time before they are an issue. Meanwhile the iPad and iPhone sit there working perfectly... All the time.

One of the main complaints I hear about an iPhone is that it wont let you utilise the hardware like it should. Bluetooth file transfers, wifi hotspot should have been there from the start, drag and drop mp3's rather than iTunes syncing, and customisation of the OS/ringtones etc isnt very well supported. If you mention that perhaps they should jail break the phone, you usually get a response of "I shouldn't have to tamper with my phone to get it working how I want." fair enough comment really, I support that and wish Apple would free up the device a bit more myself. It tends to make that viewpoint a bit mute though when the same people go buy an android device and spend hours rooting and customising roms.... Isnt that basically the same thing? Personally... cbf all that, it's a phone and I don't want to be messing around with it that much.

I also understand that people wanna get away from the Apple empire and support an alternative option. I would do the same if I felt there was an option equal to the iPhone. And it's probably more difficult for me than most as my job requires I have an iPod to demonstrate the plethora of docks, mini/micro systems, receivers, amplifiers, and speakers that we have in store. Sure, I could just use an iPod of some variety, but it's one more thing I'd have to remember to bring into work. It's just easier that it doubles as a phone as it's something I don't leave home without. Although this doesn't apply to everyone and my case is perhaps a little unique, I still think it applies to others perhaps on a smaller scale. Just about everyone has iPhone/iPod accessories or chargers these days. If my phone is needing a charge, I can be at just about any one of my friends places and be pretty sure I could plug it in. Not a major thing really but it's these little things that makes living with it that little easier.

I'm probably just a blinded iPhone fanboi, but I honestly don't see a valid reason to switch, not when I honestly don't find Android as intuitive or reliable.

/me ducks for cover and hides under a fire blanket.
norbs

Post by norbs »

So far, the Android has been way more stable than the 2 iPhones I had.

Battery life, yep, it isn't too flash, but I can just grab another battery if I really need to. Having an option to swap is awesome.

The bride is heading to Spain tomorrow and if she cant recharge on the plane, she will get about 3 hours of video before it dies. We wanted to add some music to her iPhone, but she has packed up her laptop. Plug it into my computer and it wont sync with out wiping all the music on it. FFS!

Jailbreak vs Rooting. It may be a valid point Dex. Although, out of the box, the S2 does shit loads more than the iPhone does. And the rooting process I did took 10 mins, and that was waiting for the phone to reboot. :) I have hardly touched it since.

That said, respect for sticking to your guns. :yes:
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Its all about the widgets!
Gizmo
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Post by Gizmo »

I've just got a HTC HD7 Windows phone. Love it.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Dan has one of them, they are great phones, if i didn't get the Galxy i would have got the HD7. The Windows OS is really nice.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

w00dsy wrote:The Windows OS is really nice.
You don't read that every day!
eek