auto gearshifts for bicycles

CyclARSEts talk in here.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: auto gearshifts for bicycles

Post by wobblysauce »

So, now people on bikes are going to fall off bridges.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

might be just me, but i reckon someone who has shelled out for the ultra-cool Di2 system wouldn't be that thrilled about riding around with an iphone mounted to their bike. :shake:
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

CLP wrote:might be just me, but i reckon someone who has shelled out for the ultra-cool Di2 system wouldn't be that thrilled about riding around with an iphone mounted to their bike. :shake:
Unless you can jam it up under the saddle where it wont be seen.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

This sounds like the kind of thing that might go into cycling computers in the near future. Considering that shifting is just done by a button now, you can go one step further and integrate it all together.
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Sounds like a total wank to me, but then again Vanilla DI2 does also.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Just get a fixie if you're too lazy to change gears.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Sounds like a total wank to me, but then again Vanilla DI2 does also.

Ride it and see what you think.

I know I am only coming off the experience of my 105 gruppo, but holy snapping Armstrong testicle, Di2 is awesome!
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Why? I really do not get it?
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Why? I really do not get it?

I didn't either, until I rode it.

It only happened on Saturday afternoon. A local guy got a new Giant full carbon job with Di2. He has seen me out and we have chatted a few times. He wanted to borrow a couple of tools off me and bought the new bike around. It has Speedplay Zero pedals, so I rode it in my work boots, but it was terrific.

I didn't realise how ordinary my bike was until I rode Dave's Cervelo with SRAM Red. That was a big step up, but Di2 is even better. The changes are so positive. And nearly instant.

Honestly Jamo, it is hard to explain. It is just better. If you are already running Dura Ace it might not be a huge step. It was for me.

Self tuning would be worth it alone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

As someone who for the last few months has been considering buying a Di2 equipped bike, i wish you weren't writing such glowing reviews Norbs.. you're gonna cost me money :nod:
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

I was thinking of going full Ultegra on the BMC and switching the 105 groupset to my Jamis for use as a commuter.

Dura Ace over Ultegra? I will not ever go this electric bollocks route but if you reckon the mechanical systems are that good. I've ridden Dura Ace myself and honestly could hardly tell the difference over my at the time well tuned Sora. But that being said, I'm the kinda bloke where you could pull apart my bike and do things like put the stem on upside down and I would not even notice. I just adapt to what I've got.
norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:I was thinking of going full Ultegra on the BMC and switching the 105 groupset to my Jamis for use as a commuter.

Dura Ace over Ultegra? I will not ever go this electric bollocks route but if you reckon the mechanical systems are that good. I've ridden Dura Ace myself and honestly could hardly tell the difference over my at the time well tuned Sora. But that being said, I'm the kinda bloke where you could pull apart my bike and do things like put the stem on upside down and I would not even notice. I just adapt to what I've got.

So the question that springs to mind, why not a $999 Cell bike instead of a BMC?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Sorry but for me any Electronic Group is no go. But not for how much better it is, which it is (like they say once you go Black (carbon that is) you never go back) but because of its lack of serviceability in the field of play & for a home mechanics (as I do really love tinkering with my bikes).

Just re-watch any of this years grand tours to see how many bike swaps occurred due to mechanics not being able to do a thing if an electro group started misbehaving. Loved seeing riders loose their cool because of it.

As for self-tuning, Mech groups are already starting to implement some aspects of this, SRAM (yaw) & Shimano DA are the start with single click front shifting. I think you'll find the next evolution may introduce a better rear tuning & possibly automate / sync front to rear derailleur shifting to mimic the electro self adjustment & precision.
I hope so any way
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

A very astute question at that Todd. Short answer it's sexy :)

Seriously though I'm starting to get pretty good at this cycling caper and I'm also really enjoying it. So I figured it was time for a nice mount.

So DA over Ultegra worthwhile?
mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Just get Campy , you'll never look back :prod: :D
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

mrleisure wrote:Just get Campy , you'll never look back :prod: :D
Oh dear, that's because if you use Campy you never get anywhere so it's no point looking back. :lol:
Dukester

mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

Flinty72 wrote:Oh dear, that's because if you use Campy you never get anywhere so it's no point looking back. :lol:
You'll see the light one day :)

Can't say I can see any advantage in electronic shifting , just aded complications and expense .
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

mrleisure wrote:
Flinty72 wrote:Oh dear, that's because if you use Campy you never get anywhere so it's no point looking back. :lol:
You'll see the light one day :)

Can't say I can see any advantage in electronic shifting , just aded complications and expense .
Well that's my issue with Campy, to have a 5 (or is it 4) indent front shifting system is just not needed these days, adds unnecessary complication that deters from the other good aspects of their top range groups. :P
Dukester

mrleisure

Post by mrleisure »

I'm not sure what your saying with the 5 or 4 indent shifting thing Flinty . The Centaur set I've got on my bike works like this [youtube] [/youtube]
with the lever for your fingers and the button for your thumbs but I find the Tiagra set on my sons bike very good as well , seems easy to use . Is the newer Campy stuff different ? I don't know .

Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Since no one has an opinion on DA over Ultegra how's about Ultegra over 105?

Worth the dosh?
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I chose Ultegra because out of the DA/Ultegra/105, it was the best between cost/durability/performance. I couldn't justify the extra money for DA.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Jamo wrote:Since no one has an opinion on DA over Ultegra how's about Ultegra over 105?

Worth the dosh?
i have 105 of 2 of my bikes (old roadie (5600 series) and my CX bike (5700 series)) and Ultegra on my Carbon Roadie (6600 series). Miss V has 105 on her Roadie (5600 series).

Finish quality on the Ultegra components is noticeably better and the shifting performance is a bit smoother. That said, 105 is plenty good enough performance-wise and is good value for money.

worth the money to go for Ultegra over 105? depends on your budget and intended usage.

Cyclocross... 105 is plenty good enough, and given the environment it's used in, i'm not likely to go broke if i snap a derailleur (have seen a few Campy Record derailleurs busted in CX .. expensive hobby this cycling business :( )

Commuting .. toss up between 105 and Ultegra. Probably better off getting 105 since it's a bit more robust.. and with the extra usage a commuter bike gets it'd be subject to additional wear and tear.. so 105 is ultimately cheaper to replace worn components. That said, Ultegra would be nicer to use day in day out.. so maybe a set of Ultegra shifters coupled with a 105 groupset :)

Race bike: Ultegra (or Dura Ace) ... you can probably put upper end prestige/show/cafe bikes in here too.. if you have the money, why not get the higher end component? It's an area of diminishing returns at this end of the spectrum... Ultegra fits in as a happy medium for performance and budget constraints.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Most ppl including me will tell you there is a bigger step up from 105 to Ultegra compared to Ultegra to DA.
Ultegra is much more inline with the design & function of DA than 105 is to Ultegra & DA, although 105 is geting closer to Ultegra with every iteration.
Considering the cost Ultegra is the most value for money (along with SRAM Force or Campy Athena) if your leaning towards a higher end group while 105 is all about being the group for the masses who want to feel & look at what a more competitive group is all about. Just my opinion though. :)
Last edited by Duke on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Jamo wrote:Since no one has an opinion on DA over Ultegra how's about Ultegra over 105?

Worth the dosh?

Since when has dosh been a factor for you? :)

I remember some bastard saying..... "I've ridden Dura Ace myself and honestly could hardly tell the difference over my at the time well tuned Sora"

Get Sora. :lol:
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Yeah you're right Norbs but I'm at least trying to tame some of my exuberant spending. Not much luck I'm about to drop 500+ on a new set of bars and stem.

It was a Sora/Tiagra combo to be precise ;) I think you blokes have sold me on the Ultegra upgrade, actually mostly to get the 105 and replace said combo.