Brought a new lense...

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Brought a new lense...

Post by Nigel »

...but things didn't go according to plan.

Sigma 70 - 300 APO lense for a whopping $149 Which I thought was damn good for the price. I didn't have my camera with me at the time so tested it on the 30D, where it didn't work. It did work on the 1D MarkII. But you can kind of guess what happened when I got home. Yep didn't work. Comes up with an err99 message which is a general distress for canon. All my other lenses work fine, just this one doesn't. It does have a warranty so I am taking it back today.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Strange, I would have thought an EF mount lens is just like any other EF mount lens.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

That was my logic as well. EOS mount is an EOS mount. But apparently not. Will be taking it back today to see what can be done. Even if its just a credit for the cost that can go to something else is fine. But I actually like this lense. It seems rather good..... if it worked.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Update. Apparently they have changed the apature sensor in the cropped sesored cameras. So its a no go. Bummer really, a $550 lense for $149 was great. Still would have been good in I had a full frame sensor. In the end they gave me a new Canon 75-300mm for the same price. I would rather have had the other on though as it had a great Macro 300m at 1.5 feet is pretty good from a non macro specific camera. But thems the breaks I guess.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I remember this issue from when the 300D came out. There is a Sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II version which does work. It has a red ring instead of silver on the old version IIRC. If you want the macro, you should see if they'll give you one of them instead of the Canon. It's a better lens as well from the samples I went through at the time (I almost bought one, but got a 70-200 f4 instead).

The price should be about the same, but presumably that old one was so cheap due to not working with the EF-S bodies.