DarrenM 3 (Second)
Exar Kun 1
JTM29 1
Pixelboy 1
SE1Z 1
kwijiob 3 (Second)
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

isnt samC running 4th? his got 3 guys ahead of him.
SamC
Photographer, not artist.

Post by SamC »

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Equal points for second places count as one. Its a fairness thing. Remember this comp is about having fun as much as it is about improving ones skills.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

fourthof5 wrote:Equal points for second places count as one. Its a fairness thing. Remember this comp is about having fun as much as it is about improving ones skills.
yeah but if you have 3 people in front of you, you are still 4th, regardless of wether any of them are tied on points.

nothing to do with fairness, just simple mathematics
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hz-Lab wrote:
fourthof5 wrote:Equal points for second places count as one. Its a fairness thing. Remember this comp is about having fun as much as it is about improving ones skills.
yeah but if you have 3 people in front of you, you are still 4th, regardless of wether any of them are tied on points.

Think outside the box :rofl:
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Hz-Lab wrote:

Two people get equal second, so I count them as 1. Simple.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Im glad you dont teach maths 4th :nod:
eek
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

one person walks thru a door, then 2 people walk through the same door, but side by side, then another person walks through the door, is he the 3rd person to walk through the door?
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

rofl .. who cares :) It awards people who got a few extra votes than others.. so its all good
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

kwijibo wrote:rofl .. who cares :) It awards people who got a few extra votes than others.. so its all good
you mean it "rewards" lol...
:lol:

its not the points system that we're talking about though kwij, thats fine. Its just that Nige has Sam listed as 3rd when he is actually 4th.. lol
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Sam is third !

If everyone got the same score for this months comp. Then you would all be first. Its not that hard to understand is it.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

fourthof5 wrote: If everyone got the same score for this months comp. Then you would all be first. Its not that hard to understand is it.
yes nige, you're right. people with equal scores are tied for that position, but the people after them dont just jump up to the next position, it all depends on how many are tied for that position, then, whoever is after them has the position relating to how many people are in front. If 2 AFL teams are tied up the top of the ladder (with equal percentage), then the team under them is ranked 3rd, not 2nd....

And if everyone was given the same score except for Sam (lets use him in this scenario too), he got one less point than the rest of them (lets say there is 6 of them.) then they would all be tied 1st, but Sam would be sitting in 7th position.

Look at any ladder system, any of them at all. It's how it is done. The only way around it is to use a percentage or countback system. Which you don't.

for example...

http://www.mondaynightracing.com/standings.php
go down to pos. 23. Flinty and Durrie tied on points (both 23rd), then what do you know, Whiplash follows them in 25th position.. Where's 24th?
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Well since I am running the comp and since I am setting the rules. Guess what. Sam is third. This isn't supposed to be a race for points to WIN AT ALL COSTS, its about fun.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

fourthof5 wrote:Well since I am running the comp and since I am setting the rules. Guess what. Sam is third. .
no, he is classified 3rd, but all us smart ones know he's 4th
fourthof5 wrote:This isn't supposed to be a race for points to WIN AT ALL COSTS, its about fun.
i am not disputing the points system man, the points are fine. your Win at all costs statement leads me to believe you think i am debating the points system.

All i am saying is that sam is 4th. Not 3rd, it won't alter how many points it has, it won't alter how many people have more points than him, or how many have less. It wont change anything except give him the correct classification
Gusto

Post by Gusto »

fourthof5 wrote:Well since I am running the comp and since I am setting the rules. Guess what. Sam is third. This isn't supposed to be a race for points to WIN AT ALL COSTS, its about fun.
I thought it was about art. Then again, art is fun. But racing is fun as well. Winning may be fun, but not as fun as the race. Racing is more fun than winning imho :)
I vote Sam 4th. (of5) :aussie:
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

You guys are applying other points systems to this one. Thats like taking the F1 points system to NASCAR and complaining because they are not doing it like F1. For this competition, the points system will award equal status to those with equal points. Those are the rules for this comp.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Scuderia_Alan

Post by Scuderia_Alan »

"Equal second." Problem solved.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Hz-Lab wrote:one person walks thru a door, then 2 people walk through the same door, but side by side, then another person walks through the door, is he the 3rd person to walk through the door?
No, but he's on the third line!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Hz-Lab wrote:Its just that Nige has Sam listed as 3rd when he is actually 4th.. lol
If you look at it from the points perspective then he's 3rd since he has the 3rd highest points. 4th individual yes, but 3rd ranked on points :)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DarrenM wrote:
Hz-Lab wrote:Its just that Nige has Sam listed as 3rd when he is actually 4th.. lol
If you look at it from the points perspective then he's 3rd since he has the 3rd highest points. 4th individual yes, but 3rd ranked on points :)
Wrong wrong and wrong.. He is 4th highest points scorer, as 3 people have more points than him.
Mythical God wrote:You guys are applying other points systems to this one. Thats like taking the F1 points system to NASCAR and complaining because they are not doing it like F1. For this competition, the points system will award equal status to those with equal points. Those are the rules for this comp.
And Nige.. Jeez, i'll say it again.. I AM NOT DEBATING THE POINTS SYSTEM! in fact i think its totally fair. I am just saying that Sam is running 4th, not 3rd.

I am not even debating that those with equal points should not be awarded the same status. That is totally fair....

Seriously, If you can't grasp that, then maybe i'll just give up. Was just pointing out an obvious error so you could fix it up. Get off your "I'm running the comp and i'll do it my way" high horse and adhere to the laws of Mathematics. Contrary to your own beliefs, you are not above it.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

why is there a 2nd, 3rd etc? I thought the 1st place was all that mattered.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

w00dsy wrote:why is there a 2nd, 3rd etc? I thought the 1st place was all that mattered.
I didn't even realise there was gonna be an ongoing comp total. I just figured there was a clear winner for each comp and maybe they'd be featured in a hall of fame thread or sumthin.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Hz-Lab wrote:
DarrenM wrote:
Wrong wrong and wrong.. He is 4th highest points scorer, as 3 people have more points than him.
Mythical God wrote:You guys are applying other points systems to this one. Thats like taking the F1 points system to NASCAR and complaining because they are not doing it like F1. For this competition, the points system will award equal status to those with equal points. Those are the rules for this comp.
And Nige.. Jeez, i'll say it again.. I AM NOT DEBATING THE POINTS SYSTEM! in fact i think its totally fair. I am just saying that Sam is running 4th, not 3rd.

I am not even debating that those with equal points should not be awarded the same status. That is totally fair....

Seriously, If you can't grasp that, then maybe i'll just give up. Was just pointing out an obvious error so you could fix it up. Get off your "I'm running the comp and i'll do it my way" high horse and adhere to the laws of Mathematics. Contrary to your own beliefs, you are not above it.
I am a little lost. I was thinking you were debating the points system and suggesting the Sam should lose his third.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

fourthof5 wrote:
I am a little lost. I was thinking you were debating the points system and suggesting the Sam should lose his third.
:rolleyes:

i give up, but go try your logic on the TAB when one horse wins, then the next 2 are a dead heat, and the horse you bet on come just after them. Try and get your payment for a place....