Kings of Leon

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
peteynut

Kings of Leon

Post by peteynut »

Well, I got an old album after being referred by a mate, it was "Because of the Times". It featured a grand total of one song I could listen to. He didn't give up though and the moment the new album was released he insisted I "recieve" a copy of it - And I'm glad I did.
Their new album is absolutely fantastic in my opinion . I mean I'm not quite sure what I would classify it as, I'm actually quite stuck with genres for a lot of things, they seem to change constantly...but thats another story.
They are a south american rock band basically, but this new album is quite...not southern'esk ? There are ofcourse the influences there.

I would suggest to anyone keen for some ''good" music (as apposed to Kid Rock blatantly ripping off an old classic) that they listen to this new album, it was played on triple J but if you missed it check it out.
A song currently doing the rounds on channel [v] etc. is Sex on Fire, which is a good song, but believe me when I say the album is just as good.

For a disgustingly compressed 'preview' of one of my particular favourites off the album check this youtube.
[youtube] [/youtube]

And Another that tickles my nickle.
[youtube] [/youtube]

For any that haven't heard and/or can't be bothered listening... sounds like;
U2, Audioslave ..... thats about the best I can give you ha. Just listen ;)
Last edited by peteynut on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Kings of Leon

Post by w00dsy »

change the au. to www. and it'll work.
peteynut

Post by peteynut »

Cheers, links fixed. :yes:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I personally prefer "Because of the Times". It's a very raw album. But it takes a while to grow on you. My 1st listen nothing excited me apart from "Charmer" and the radio killed "On Call". But after listening a few more time, the whole album is awesome.

Hard to slit them into a Genre I guess, they are a very evolving band. I guess Stoner Rock cut it for a while, but their latest offerings are a little more polished. The Radio's are thrashing their new stuff though.

I still say Charmer is their greatest song. So basic, so raw, so fricken catchy, so awesome.
peteynut

Post by peteynut »

Well stylistically they have changed a fair bit between the two. Except for "On Call", it seems this was their lead-on to the new album.

Just personally I prefer their new stuff.
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

:yes:

Kings of Leon are great!
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........
SamC
Photographer, not artist.

Post by SamC »

I agree, I Love the new album!!
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Hurtz wrote:I still say Charmer is their greatest song. So basic, so raw, so fricken catchy, so awesome.
Really? It's one of the only ones I skip... I find it annoying!

They're one of those bands with a variety of songs that can appeal to most. Great live too.

Check out their album "Youth and Young Men". It's a bit more punchy and upbeat but by far the best I reckon :)
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

As a die hard metal fan, I always try to let other bands try and get their music across to me. Metal is my fave by far, followed by (some) urban (tasteful) with house, tech, industrial etc etc even the likes of Delta and a few R&B songs get in there too. I tried listening to some songs of these guys... and it's absolutely horrid. Most bands have a song or 2 that I can relate too or be able to listen to, but not these guys. What the hell do you fellas see in it?

The vocals sound strained (Like trying to sing over your highest octave.) and the music is some what... what's the word... lacking? I dunno. Gimme some insight into why you like this style?
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Santa, I'm a little like you, my fave genre is Metal and that takes up around 70% of my playlist, but then I fill the other 30% with all kinds of stuff from Dance music to Bjork. As I get older, that 30% is heading closer to 35%. Although i still tend to edge towards the slightly more obscure stuff. In saying that though, i do get into a lot more Pop music now than i used to, maybe the quality has risen, I think the present state of the pop industry is a lot better than say the late 90's. But anywho, on to the Kings.

For me, I guess its the raw feel to it. Their new album appeals to me less cos its a little more produced i feel, where as Because of the times is a lot grittier. It sounds like a bunch of guys have sat around in a garage studio and recorded an album in a weekend, which is something I like, it brings it back to a purer form. Now, I do have to say though that it did take a while for it to Grow on me, I listened, I was like "it's alright, nothing spectacular" and then went on to the next CD, but the 2nd time, i liked it a little more. By about the 20th listen through I was hooked. Now you might personally prefer an album to kick u in the nuts straight off the bat, but I tend to love the Album that keeps on Giving.

I guess also it comes down a little to the fact myself and Enforcer-J have spent a bit of time recording shit before, and thats what it was, shit, it was just pieces written up on the spot and recorded willy nilly, nothing polished, nothing over produced. Maybe Kings of Lean appeal to me because they almost have an achievable sound. I listen to it and think, gee, if I wanted to spend a little time I could make something like this... Dunno, just throwing up ideas as to why they appeal to me.

Stoner Rock is generally not a genre that appeals to me, So I was taken a little by surprise that I fell in love with this band, but yeah, glad I did. Although the sudden over exposure on radio stations just may kill it for me. If a band gets popular i tend to lose interest, once upon a time I used to call them sellouts, in hindsight I have realised that it is me myself that is the sellout, by not sticking by a band, and disliking them just so I can keep my claim to be somewhat underground.. lol. But, i struggle to break the habit. One day maybe.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

*place holder*

Filled underneath :P
Last edited by Santaria on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

hurry up and fill your place
peteynut

Post by peteynut »

Hz-Lab wrote:Although the sudden over exposure on radio stations just may kill it for me. If a band gets popular i tend to lose interest, once upon a time I used to call them sellouts, in hindsight I have realised that it is me myself that is the sellout, by not sticking by a band, and disliking them just so I can keep my claim to be somewhat underground.. lol. But, i struggle to break the habit. One day maybe.
The person who referred me to the band has done exactly that and I don't get it. If you like a band you like them, it's not the bands fault idiots enjoy their music. Unless they were aiming for these people and that is the case that one could call a sellout.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yup it's the rawness as Hz put it. I love my grungey stoner rock and they fall in that category I guess. To me this style of music has a lot of depth for something that a producer doesn't muck around with too much, the guitar riffs are what hook me and the unique vocals just add something different. Hooray for diversity.

I'm an electronica/hip hop fan too and I find I get into those sort of tunes quickly and rape the guts out of them for a month or so and then they get lost on my hard-drive. Bands like Nirvana, QOTSA, Soundgarden still get regular playing today... it's all about the depth, I hear something new everytime I listen.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Too many people overtooked my placeholder card :P
Hz-Lab wrote:Stoner Rock is generally not a genre that appeals to me, So I was taken a little by surprise that I fell in love with this band, but yeah, glad I did. Although the sudden over exposure on radio stations just may kill it for me. If a band gets popular i tend to lose interest, once upon a time I used to call them sellouts, in hindsight I have realised that it is me myself that is the sellout, by not sticking by a band, and disliking them just so I can keep my claim to be somewhat underground.. lol. But, i struggle to break the habit. One day maybe.
I'm with you 100% on over exposure HZ . I agree with you on the stoner/grunge rock too, I started out with punk, Rancid etc etc. then progressively got heavier and heavier. KoRn is a perfect example, loved them to bits for their self titled album and Life is Peachy, then along came follow the leader and it was on the radio, at that point a little bit died in me, lol. I get what your saying about the "over produced" part too, as I play guitar/drums/bass and a bit of Piano also vocals I can appreciate what talent is needed for someone to hit it off. Unfortunately, this band seems to fail on the "make up". For me personally it's too far into the "weird" category. Coming from myself even saying that feels kinda hypocritical as I love Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, but I love them for different reasons, I listen to the music, not necessarily the vocals. Kings of Leon for me didn't hit anything for myself. But all-in-all it still comes to personal choice.

I spose it's a stereotypical thing, I hear this music and thing "yup, stoner" and it's hypocritical of me and hard to shake that thought, especially when I listen to the heavy stuff but don't have long hair or skin tight black jeans.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Santaria do you listen to Children Of Bodom.. their live tokyo album 'Tokyo Warhearts' is fantastic. Ive seen them live, they are the most impressive band ive ever seen, musicaly.

Hz i tend to do the same thing, although im getting over it a bit.. one thing i cant understand is kids these days.. lol sound old. But at uni, surrounded by youngens who are into this boring soft rock culture, and have no knowledge of bands that actualy did great things only a decade ago astounds me. The lack of respect is huge.... they simply dont care.. ripped off sounds, choards and riffs, some of the local scene makes me sick at times. A mate of mine was trying to up this band he knows of, which is a direct rip off of the beatles. I get too passionate about music, but some things just down right offend me.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Back to "kings of leon", great CD... combine it with "the muse" and it is a great combo...

As for Kid Rock, I bought that the other day, for those who have not heard any of it other than the "Radio" song, what an awesome CD... It is like a mystery tour...

She's half your age and twice as hot stikes a cord with me for some reason, not sure why... :)

Also song 5 and 6, you will know which ones I mean if you have heard it, are simply awesome... :)

All Summer Long is a radio song for the album to get publicity, cause god knows none of the others will be played on commercial radio... :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

They is coming to Oz again! Havn't seen em yet. Rock-it festival here in WA. Can't Wait!
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........