The Beatles - favourite out of the Fab Four?

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

The Beatles - favourite out of the Fab Four?

Post by smithcorp »

Was listening to the Beatles today and realised that almost all of my favourite Beatles songs were penned by Mr G Harrison. I like stuff by the others, but the songs that really get me (As My Guitar Gently Weeps for instance - what a song!) were written by George. He's definitely got a different, slightly darker and more complex style than the others.

That preference hadn't really struck me before - anyone else got particular preferences in terms of the Fab Four in terms of songwriting?

Guitar Gently Weeps for me is an incredibly beautiful song - these sensitive lyrics thrown into relief by the powerful guitar that sounds just like strong emotions barely held in check. Great stuff that always gets me.

Something is a lovely love song with a great memorable lyric

Old Brown Shoe - a complicated little structure and really interesting

All George Harrison songs - my other big favourite - Hey Jude - is a Lennon job.

smith
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: The Beatles - favourite out of the Fab Four?

Post by w00dsy »

i am more of a George fan too. But since watching the Dewey Cox movie i can't take the Beatles seriously anymore.

[youtube] [/youtube]
fp

Post by fp »

I'd never thought about it before, but now that you mention it, to no surprise to myself, Lennon penned most of my favourites - Come Together, Iam the Walrus, I feel fine, Lucy in the sky, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Strawberry Fields...

Don't get me wrong, hard pressed to find a Beatles song that I don't like, but I do prefer the funner, peppier, 'psychadelic' songs, which may have something to do with watching Yellow Submarine more often than the average toddler :)

On a related note...
[youtube] [/youtube]

edit - holy shit... I just hit play on the video, at the exact same time it began playing on SBS after South Park. :eyepop: :faint:
Leading candidate for coincidence of the year, and it's only January.
This will be my signature until Dexter Bean qualifies for a NASCAR race. Keep chasing that dream...
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Cool, fp!
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

[quote="w00dsy"]i am more of a George fan too. But since watching the Dewey Cox movie i can't take the Beatles seriously anymore.

Haha Rod - "I'm just trying to get more songs on the al-bum". Heh.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

i never liked the new-er beatles songs as much.... cant go past John Lennon myself. On a personable level, always really liked Paul.
El Kabong
Yank with no wank
Yank with no wank

Post by El Kabong »

Their earlier songs were more collaborative efforts but the Hard Days Night soundtrack is phenomenal. Lennon's Rain and Revolution trilogy are tops. Harrison's Taxman and Long, Long, Long on the White album are excellent as well. Overall though I have to go with Lennon's songs as my favorites.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Ringo for me. The lyrics for Thomas the Tank Engine are just mind blowing and I love the fat controller references.