Move to new map so we can find this new ore type
100%

Total votes: 11

Shonky

Re: New Map On Server?

Post by Shonky »

Sambo wrote:
NeilPearson wrote:I hear ya sam!

its frustrating to have built something for it then to dissapear to nothing. in the first map we had i had finished my castle walls and then we had the server crash and it was gone. so a reset was needed. Was gutted.

Saying that though, the only reason it was done this time was for new content. we wont just reset the map willy nilly, its only going to be on new content.

Absolutely, for new content its completely understandable. The issue is, how often this content comes along. At the moment its too frequent and it necessitates having a new map which is frustrating. So its not more so the decision of people that's annoying its the lack of compatibility I guess.
One thing that we could possibly do when there is an update is edit the map, we have an area in which our projects are built, which over time will grow, but every once in a while we trim the outer areas of the map, then when someone walks into an area that has been prevoiusly deleted new map will be generated with the new content as well.

If Astro doesn't mind sending me the original map I'll have a go at trimming it as I've used MCEdit a fair amount and I'm pretty comfortable with it, maybe this is an option we can try out.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

That would be brilliant, it was something along the lines of what I was thinking but didn't have time to see if it was actually possible.

That would solve mine, and as it seems, a few others problems as well. :yes:
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Thats the problem with a game thats in Beta i guess.

Its going to depend on the content aswell I think, I had had enough of the current map a while ago so I wanted a change, but i dont think a reset of the map for a block to give blue dye will happen again. But next time if something massive comes along and needs new ungenerated maps then yeah will reset for that.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

I'm currently retrieving the world data from the backup created @ 8am on Friday the 14th of January. Will get back to you soon with a link.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

NeilPearson wrote:but i dont think a reset of the map for a block to give blue dye will happen again
Don't forget the new trees. :D
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

While I think of it, who has a structure out of town on the old map, I know of the kids place out to the east and I know of Bauers out to the west, is there anything else I dont know of, don't want to inadvertently trim off someones work? If folks could let me know as soon as they can that would be good, going to have a crack at editing this map tonight.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Well I had a mine which was probably about 100 blocks west of town (under the water) which led into that cave system, but I'm supposing that you'll be trimming a bit further out than that.

I guess it doesn't really matter if you trim it, then I can mine it again for new stuff.... :D
:teach:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

SHoNKY wrote:While I think of it, who has a structure out of town on the old map, I know of the kids place out to the east and I know of Bauers out to the west, is there anything else I dont know of, don't want to inadvertently trim off someones work? If folks could let me know as soon as they can that would be good, going to have a crack at editing this map tonight.
So it the plan to trim off all the unused bits - keep ARSEville and MetropolARSE, keep the kids new town (Botty Town) and other known places in use - and reinstate for use?
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

That's it VT, I'm in two minds how close to trim to town, the closer I get the more new stuff we get to mine. I'll also have to test what happens if I delete something between point A an point B, will the map generate new terrain that meshes with whats there or will we get huge cliffs because the new stuff doesn't mesh with the old.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Bauer wrote:
SHoNKY wrote:While I think of it, who has a structure out of town on the old map, I know of the kids place out to the east and I know of Bauers out to the west, is there anything else I dont know of, don't want to inadvertently trim off someones work? If folks could let me know as soon as they can that would be good, going to have a crack at editing this map tonight.
So it the plan to trim off all the unused bits - keep ARSEville and MetropolARSE, keep the kids new town (Botty Town) and other known places in use - and reinstate for use?
That's basically what I was thinking, unless someone has other ideas, I am open to suggestions, the reason I asked about structures is that the editor is a bit like the game, there is a view distance, and unless I scour the entire map looking for structures I'm bound to miss something and chop it off if I don't know about it.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

SHoNKY wrote: That's basically what I was thinking, unless someone has other ideas, I am open to suggestions, the reason I asked about structures is that the editor is a bit like the game, there is a view distance, and unless I scour the entire map looking for structures I'm bound to miss something and chop it off if I don't know about it.
I reckon thats a great idea - if we can remove mod made monoliths as well then its even better ;)

As for peoples mines, I spent a few days travelling to the west and north of ARSEville looking for clay. This was north and west of Tak's Nakatomi Plaza. I saw nothing that belonged to anyone but it probably shows as viewed on the map.
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Ok, done some trimming, map is down from 134mb (nearly 200mb on disk) of actual map data data to 54mb of map data, there had been some rather lengthy expeditions east and west of old ARSEville, and a couple of smaller ones around MetropolARSE. Will pass it on to Astro and he can check it out.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

so we are going back to arseville then?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

That's up to you guys. :)

The other option we have is to copy the entire 21x21x128 of Sambo's lot over to the new map. :rofl:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

NeilPearson wrote:so we are going back to arseville then?

I guess that depends on what we want to do.

Are we going to have the old map mod free? Im all for freeing up the old town, cutting all trees down within the city limits and light it up to try to keep the mobs at bay. Then staying inside at night :D
Haze and I were talking about it on the phone. We felt the town was too sterile in its 'protected' mode.

But once again, we need to decide before the new map becomes too liked. :)
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

With minecraft.net getting DDoS'd to buggery we'll be lucky if we can start the server again this week so there won't be much chance to like the new map too much. :melt: