Keep existing map and just expand the current world
No votes
Move to new map so we can find this new ore type
100%

Total votes: 11

Shonky

New Map On Server?

Post by Shonky »

So with the release of Minecraft 1.2, what are everyone's thoughts on a new map, we now have a new ore type called Lapis Lazuli which is required if you wish to make blue dye for wool.

If anyone wants to find this new ore type they will have to travel a very long way to find it as it will not exist in any previously generated terrain which means getting far enough away to generate new terrain, so what I'm asking is do we think its worth starting a new for this one new ore type given the amount of work we have already put in, or do we give it longer and see what other new stuff may come down the pipeline before throwing away what we have. It would be good if Neil or Astro could chime in with any info on what happens with server load if the map gets larger.

I think at some point we will have no choice but to start a new, I've seen in the past what can happen with my single player maps when there are changes to the map generation code, but I'm not sure if we are at that point yet.
Syncanix

Re: New Map On Server?

Post by Syncanix »

Atleast with the new map the area will be fresh also, and travel wont have to be as far.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198003128152]Image[/url]
My wife was afraid of the dark… then she saw me naked and now she’s afraid of the light.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

+1 for map reset, mainly just for the new ore and I've grown bored of my current living arrangements... and not allowed to use TNT. We also have more than a few new guys, maybe it'd be nice for them to see the city grow instead of a pre-made one? Just a thought.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

This city isnt even 2 weeks old!!!
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

ReppohC wrote:This city isnt even 2 weeks old!!!
We're missing out on the new ore and tree(?) types.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

but... but... my 3D cock and balls took ages to make as a newbie!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Im not fussed about a new map or not.

Pro's
the new block type available closer - but you can go off and find it.

Con's
A lot of work has been done in MetroploARSE. Be a shame to lose it.

Since we are discussing it, Ill add a few more comments here. One thing Im not a fan of is what I would term "reward without effort". By that I mean the admin ability to simply give items. I dont like that parts of the town were built like that, I dont like that the kids pester the admins for diamonds etc (and the kind admins give to them rather than tell them to fuck off). Take the medical centre. Put the call out for 400 blocks of wool and we as a community go in search of sheep. Or type in an admin command and voila, wool by the sheering shed load. Which is the more rewarding? What about the big bridge? or the railway? What about the diamond sword someone left me for the bread they ate? Sure I used it and thank you for it but if you had to mine the diamond yourself, Im sure you wouldnt have been as generous :) I'd hate to see admin start gifting all the new stuff too ;)

I have moved out of town now, found myself a nice little hill and built a castle on it. I want monsters to be able to destroy what I build if I am careless, I am glad to have mined, smelted and built all that I have made. I think it is a big part of the game. Diamond is scarce, monsters are deadly and I feel like I am in the wilds.

Jusy my thoughts, nothing more :)
--------------
Stu
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

The bridge was built by me, and only me. The railway was a joint effort (I didn't take part, but a few did) as well I'm fairly certain without admin commands. Yeah, the moss covered lookout does stand out a bit, lol.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Santaria wrote:The bridge was built by me, and only me. The railway was a joint effort (I didn't take part, but a few did) as well I'm fairly certain without admin commands. Yeah, the moss covered lookout does stand out a bit, lol.
I meant the Sydney harbour bridge effort. Im not sure what bridge you are talking about.

How much iron do you think went in to those tracks? more than we have mined I think :)

and yeah, those massive structures are ugly, especially the admin built ones :p
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

ReppohC wrote:This city isnt even 2 weeks old!!!
Yeah I know, I'm not saying it is something we must do, just wanting to get an idea of whether folks reckon we reckon the new things warrant it.
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

Wouldnt mind a change...
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Bauer wrote:
Santaria wrote:The bridge was built by me, and only me. The railway was a joint effort (I didn't take part, but a few did) as well I'm fairly certain without admin commands. Yeah, the moss covered lookout does stand out a bit, lol.
I meant the Sydney harbour bridge effort. Im not sure what bridge you are talking about.

How much iron do you think went in to those tracks? more than we have mined I think :)

and yeah, those massive structures are ugly, especially the admin built ones :p
agreed, i have actualy removed all item spawning commands now, and they wont get used for anything. Which is why I wnat to start a fresh new map!
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Terrific post Stud.

If I hadn't put so much work into the cavern and bike, I would have moved out of town too. But I have been slugging away for a fair while now and the end is near for my creation. All I want to finish is the floor and the few rough out crops of rocks. I would also love to be able to fill in the holes in the walls that are there, but I cant as I cant place blocks outside my cavern.

If there is a new town, I think there should be some strict rules applied. And one of them is no asking for stuff every five minutes. I am happy to help where I can, but seeing a request pop up every 5 minutes does my head in.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

I been thinking about this a bit, one thing i am worried about with resetting the map is having to reset it again in a weeks time because a new material has come out that we cant get to.

In BETA its a bit of a catch 22, do we reset to get new stuff and risk having to reset next week... or continue on without some of the new things...
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

NeilPearson wrote:I been thinking about this a bit, one thing i am worried about with resetting the map is having to reset it again in a weeks time because a new material has come out that we cant get to.

In BETA its a bit of a catch 22, do we reset to get new stuff and risk having to reset next week... or continue on without some of the new things...

What about we make the 1st of each month a new map? That way every one gets a good 4 weeks to build and then it is on to a new world.

Who knows, there may be an editor later that lets you combine maps.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

It all depends on what gets released though. Something really awesome could get released and we would need to reset the map before the month is out. its pretty hard to judge with it atm.

If we set a schedual for 1 month rotations of the map as norbs has suggested, However when each build comes along we can decided if its "awesome" enough to warrent a reset.

Frankly I dont think a reset if warrented for Blue dye, I want it reset to remove all the hax I have done, and im gathering most of you feel the same?
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Another glitch since the update with existing maps.
Trees in old maps have 'random' data bits in their leaves, so the textures are wrong
Source jeb
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

LOL the game is saying 90% bug free at startup now.

I like norbs suggestion of a 1 month rotation. Mind you, if you build something epic is it easy to let go and start over?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

The 1st of each month crossed my mind too - but if there is no need to change, then I say we dont.

But at the same time, I think we should be ready and willing to change at a moments notice simply due to the nature of a game in development. New stuff appearing etc should be making us want to move. If we only last a week, so be it. If a map stays for 2 months, so be it.

Neil - Im with you on your reasons for wanting to reset. If we really wanted the new dye or the new trees, we could get a party together and head into the wilderness, find new stuff and bring it back. Im all for resetting back to a total DIY environment, like we had on the first map where we lost your castle.

I dont have anything against item spawning, its just not my style of gaming. Some people want a building game so item spawning is for them. I'd rather hunt n gather. :yes:
--------------
Stu
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Voted for new map - learnt a lot in the past week or so that I'll put into practice for the next map

I'll also be putting extra stuff in the store for other people to use
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

So another question - probably for Neil or Astro - is there a need for mods like cuboid etc to be installed?

If we went to a new map, knowing that stuff gets updated often, is there a genuine need for the mods or do we just go with a vanilla server??

Was mainly thinking of simplicity.
--------------
Stu
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Bauer wrote:So another question - probably for Neil or Astro - is there a need for mods like cuboid etc to be installed?

If we went to a new map, knowing that stuff gets updated often, is there a genuine need for the mods or do we just go with a vanilla server??

Was mainly thinking of simplicity.
Thats a good point, the only reason cuboid was even put on was because of the "thefts" that we had, and Sids/adam's house's being burnt down.

with Mcmyadmin hmod/bukkit isnt needed as it gives enough control, with the /ban commands and setting people up in groups by itself and it seems that doesnt need to be updated everytime minecraft gets updated.

We could just run a vanilla server with Mcmyadmin and thats it, and have a free for all, with no specific town laid out, so everyone can do what they like.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

No mods makes my life easier.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

AstrO wrote:No mods makes my life easier.
that was my thought. Especially if updates make mods unuseable. My minecraft has updated twice in 2 days. Id rather not cause any more work to the admins than necessary. :yes:

So lets go vanilla, find a new name and go for it. Vote is pretty one sided :)
--------------
Stu
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I think protecting each others lots was a good thing. That was what cuboid did? Is there a way to protect our places or are we really gunna rough it and not have a central point to mingle and show off out impressively large erections?