Recommendations of MTB

CyclARSEts talk in here.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Recommendations of MTB

Post by DexterPunk »

I used to ride a lot, completed two great Victorian bike rides, and would go off road as often as possible. Basically in the end i put my old Giant MTB through more than I think it was designed for, and it has stuffed rims and stuffed gears. The frame is probably quite outdated now too (bought in about 94).

Anyway, should I decide to get back into riding, I'd want a bike that can take some punishment. Mainly cross country rather than downhill. And something that could be used on the roads well enough as well.

I went into a shop that deals with bikes called 'Specialized'. And although i hadn't really heard of then he assured me they have been huge for many years. He also said that with today's tech, rear suspension is fine for road riding as well as off road, and that it knows the difference between rider input and a bump.

I want to spend sub $2k really. For someone that only wants to ride recreationally i don't see the point in going overboard, but I want something that will last with some heavy treatment. Any recommendations of brands etc??
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: Recommendations of MTB

Post by wobblysauce »

well depending on the condition of the frame, you could retro fit and fix it up, or you could get a new one like some of the other Arse's have done, look in the other big topic there are quite a few good recommendations for all sorts of riding, most if not all are sub $1500 I think also.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I'm reserving this place til tonight. I'm in the process of looking for a bike of the same genre. I'll fill I in what I have found tonight.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

My MTB is a Specialized! (as is my single speed!) and can't really fault it (see the bike gallery thread for pics!)

It's a 2009 model Pitch Pro and i got it for $2000 :) marked down from a ticket price of $4500 :vibes: it's not a XC bike, rather an All Mountain bike so it can probably take a bit more punishment than a true XC bike, at the cost of a bit more weight and a loss of maneuverability. Can't complain about the build quality or overall feel for the bike.

Giant and Avanti are usually excellent value. The ones Miss V and i were looking at were hardtail XC bikes which were going for about 1300- 1400 and were pretty well spec'ed.

Miss V's Scott (Dual suspension XC) is also a well put together machine, spec'ed well enough etc. That too was a run out model so we got a substantial discount on it :) If you're not fussed about having a slightly outdated bike, it pays to look/ask for clearance and run out stock. Many shops are only too happy to rid themselves of older machines :D

In my travels i found that for an equivalent price point Cannondales were very underspec'ed.. but they look very slick :D

I'm really just a MTB novice who has gone though the MTB purchasing jungle recently so i thought i would give you my experiences :)

Cheers,
CLP

DexterPunk wrote:I used to ride a lot, completed two great Victorian bike rides, and would go off road as often as possible. Basically in the end i put my old Giant MTB through more than I think it was designed for, and it has stuffed rims and stuffed gears. The frame is probably quite outdated now too (bought in about 94).

Anyway, should I decide to get back into riding, I'd want a bike that can take some punishment. Mainly cross country rather than downhill. And something that could be used on the roads well enough as well.

I went into a shop that deals with bikes called 'Specialized'. And although i hadn't really heard of then he assured me they have been huge for many years. He also said that with today's tech, rear suspension is fine for road riding as well as off road, and that it knows the difference between rider input and a bump.

I want to spend sub $2k really. For someone that only wants to ride recreationally i don't see the point in going overboard, but I want something that will last with some heavy treatment. Any recommendations of brands etc??
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Recommendations of MTB

Post by DexterPunk »

Thanks mate, and cheers to Hz too for his future post hehehe :)

I certainly don't care about run out models... It's gunna be better than my old run down bike from 94 hehe.

How are specialized priced relative to their competitors?
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

DexterPunk wrote:Thanks mate, and cheers to Hz too for his future post hehehe :)

I certainly don't care about run out models... It's gunna be better than my old run down bike from 94 hehe.

How are specialized priced relative to their competitors?
can't really comment on specialized prices too much since 1 of my specialized was a runout (pitch pro) and the other was an ebay buy (Langster). maybe have a look on bike exchange. That's usually a good place to get a feel for prices.

If price is a huge limiting factor, then a hard tail XC Giant or Avanti would probably be your best bet i would think.

One bike that was on the radar for Miss V also was a Merida Dual Suspension bike. that was about the 1500 mark too i think. Can't recall the specs though. Was significantly heavier than the Scott Spark 35 that she ended up with.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Ok, i could not be bothered editing the above post, So i'll just go here...

My thoughts on Specialized......... ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!!... very underspec'd

but, and there is a but, Their pricey stuff is awesome..lol.

So much so, I am personally looking at a Specialized for my next bike. The Stumpjumper FSR Elite, again, a runout model, dropped from $4999 down to $2999, and thats before I start haggling. That's the thing you need to do with bikes, keep haggling, and plan to visit the shop a few times before you commit. My downhill bike dropped from $3499 to $2000 just by pretending I was indecisive and shopping around. I wasn't, but they didn't need to know that.

to clarify my specialized slagging, anything from them that retails under the 2k mark is normally very underspec'd compared to say like a Giant, I think Giant really spec their lower end bikes out with superb gear. But the dearer stuff from the big S is generally spec'd well.

Something Like CLP's pitch would be pretty awesome as a All rounder, same with the Stumpjumper FSR's, I dunno about the pitch but the Stumpjumper has 3 adjustable travel lengths, 120mm/140mm/160mm.. This bike would be fine for XC, and even be quite capable at tackling the Downhills. I am buying this next bike to ride in Enduro races, so the extra travel is mainly for comfort. But a 100mm XC bike would be better suited for your average 1 to 2 hour XC races and whatnot. But do yourself a favour, go a dual suspension, you'll enjoy your riding so much more as you will be a wee bit more comfortable in the anus at the end of the day. Plus it helps with traction.

Ok, so I will run you over some basics of what to look for...

firstly, know your Travel Ranges and what they are for:-

80mm - Primarily Dirt Jump Bikes, I suggest if you want to go for decent length rides, avoid these, most DJ bikes run a 100mm adjustable fork with a 80mm rear.
100mm - XC - Stiff, durable, perfect for fast 1 hour sprints around the scrub, and good for on road also.
120mm - Enduro - similar to XC but made for a more comfortable ride, excellent for all day riding.
140mm - Trail -a sort of Do it all bike, starting to lose efficiency when pedaling on the flat, and not quite up to hitting the big drops either, but perfect for a bit of everything.
160mm - All Mountain - The Idea for these bikes really stemmed from a Downhill bike that you could ride back up. But they still like descending more than climbing.
180mm - Freeride - These are basically Downhill bikes, but with shorter Travel so they pop off of jumps higher, generally ride stiffer.Normally Single Crown Forks.Non climbers.
200mm - Downhill - Triple Crown Forks, purpose built for going down only. Super Plush.
220mm plus - Mental..and not very common. Like a big cushy lounge chair on wheels.

Ok, so that's your basics in travel, there are a lot of bikes on the market that are adjustable between them, like the Stumpjumper I mentioned, but with this adjustability this also means, ofcourse, that they are not as good as a dedicated Travel bike.

There are a few things with Shock brands too.. Fox Forks are the be all and end all, Rock Shox are very close behind. Marzocchi are next in line but are better known for their Dirt jump forks and big hit forks. Try to avoid Suntour, RST or any fork that is branded the same company as the frame..lol. Apart from Cannondale's Lefty shock.

With Rear Shocks, well, it's Fox all the way, if you can get a good fox shock on the rear you're laughing. They are a top bit of kit. then in order of preference, I'd go DT Swiss, then Rock Shox. In saying all that, all of those brands make quality shocks, just some do it better.

Fox Shocks have a thing called Pedal Pro, it essentially locks out the rear suspension, but, unlike other lock out systems, will still activate in the case of a big hit. So it's great for road riding, the bike will feel like a hard tail, but when you ride over the speed bump you get a bit of cushioning. The Fox pedal pro lockout system seems to be that bit ahead of their competitors version. Within that price range, you should be able to get one of those shocks on your bike.

Ok, moving on from Shocks. Frame sizing is crucial, Sit on, and test ride, as many bikes as you can, learn what feels nice, listen to peoples advice with bike fitting. If a store has a bike you want in stock in a medium, but you really need a large, for christ sake, wait for them to get it in for you, impulse buying will just lead to you being uncomfortable and hating riding. Don't be afraid to get that seat up either, even if it doesn't look "cool", it saves your back, and a shitload of energy on a long ride.

When you do buy, if the bike has Clipless pedals, invest in some flats. until you are comfortable on your bike on singletrack with flat pedals, Clipless are a no no. But I do suggest trying them sooner rather than later, just make sure you are riding within your abilities.

Ask questions on here about bikes that tickle your fancy, between all of us we will be able to give you a lot of feedback.

Don't just look for Brand names you have heard of, although, the fact you didn't know the specialized brand makes me wonder if you have any Brand influence when it comes to bikes anyway..hahah. perfect position to be in really. There are heaps of littler known brands out there making kick ass bikes. for example, this company:-

http://www.silverbacklab.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My mate bought a Mercury 1 from these guys about 4 months ago, fuck it's a good bike, awesomely spec'd, he picked up the runout '10 model for under 2k, it retailed at $4999 if I recall correctly. Runouts are the way to go.

that's enough for now. Oh, just thinking, maybe check out the Giant Anthem as well, they are decent duallies which you can normally talk down to under 2k. Worse come to worse though, for 2k you can get a pretty insane spec'd Hardtail..lol

So, the key things are:-

Don't Rush in to anything
Research
Haggle for price
Then once a price is agreed on, Ask for freebies, you'll be surprised what they give you.

Hope that helped, I'll browse around later and put up some suggestions.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

My bike cost $400. I thought I spent a lot.. it works for recreational use and isn't overboard.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Recommendations of MTB

Post by DexterPunk »

kwijibo wrote:My bike cost $400. I thought I spent a lot.. it works for recreational use and isn't overboard.
True kwiji, but when you decide to take it up the high country and ride it In anger, it may not do the job.

Thanks heaps for the input Hz. Most helpful indeed. Seems with what I'd be thinking about spending, I'm pretty much on the line between getting something good from specialized, or something over priced depending on run outs and haggling.

I want to give it some proper thought, last thing I'd want is to buy a nice bike and not get the use out of it.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

well you could go for a cheapy, it isn't like there bad bikes.. just not in that same category of riding you require as in your description.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote: Something Like CLP's pitch would be pretty awesome as a All rounder, same with the Stumpjumper FSR's, I dunno about the pitch but the Stumpjumper has 3 adjustable travel lengths, 120mm/140mm/160mm..
the travel length on the Pitch Pro is dial adjustable between 95 and 140 mm in 1mm increments :) that sounds really good in theory.. in practice it's a bit of a pain in the butt :P
Hz-Lab wrote: But do yourself a favour, go a dual suspension, you'll enjoy your riding so much more as you will be a wee bit more comfortable in the anus at the end of the day. Plus it helps with traction.
i was skeptical at first about getting a dually, but the first few rides convinced me that it was the right choice. Though, if it's a choice of a cheap dually vs high end hardtail for the same price at the lower end of the budget spectrum, then without question the hardtail would be the way to go.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

What Hurst says makes sense. You do get what you pay for most of the time. But, and this is only my experience, so take it with a grain of salt, you may not need to spend big dollars Dex. The big dollars will get you a lighter bike and probably a better specc'ed bike, but will you know the difference?

Example 1. Holly, my original MTB. Bought in 1989. Full steel frame. ChroMolly (phonetic spelling FTW) forks. Low end groupset. Rigid front and back. It got belted off the road when I first got it. After hurting myself too often, I promised wife #1 I wouldnt take it off road. I put high pressure slicks on it and a whacky Scott aero bar and then put nearly 30,000kms on the old bastard thing. I pulled it all apart today to learn a few things and it is still in surprisingly good nick. It cost me $299 or $399, I can't remember. It was about as cheap a MTB as you could get at the time. It wasn't fast. It wasn't flash, but by fuck it did the job, and did it with out fuss.

Example 2. Miriam, the current bike. (Just realised I must sound like Schuey!) I got loads and loads of advice when I bought it. Again, it wasn't anywhere near the top of the line. It cost me around the $900 mark. Aluminium frame, lockable front shock, the groupset is nothing flash, disc brakes and flat bar again. It has just rolled over 8000km. I have just had my first real problem with it, but I have to put that down to my lack of skills. I reckon Flinty in the same situation wouldn't have broken a wheel at all. I am on the 3rd set of tyres and 2nd chain. Thats not bad for 8000kms in my book.

Something else to consider. Accessories! You might spend $2000 on the bike, but then you'll go through another $500 in no time. Lights, knicks, pumps, bottles, saddle bags etc etc etc. So keep that in mind.

What ever you do, I hope you get half the pleasure I have from cycling. I am not hard core like Flinty, Mr Leisure, CLP or Hurts, but by jesus I enjoy it.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

DexterPunk wrote:
I want to give it some proper thought, last thing I'd want is to buy a nice bike and not get the use out of it.
This is a bit of a Catch 22, You can buy a lower end bike, and sometimes, not always, but sometimes it is the cause of you straying away from riding. A higher end bike can sometimes be that much better to ride that it crosses that line, and makes you all the more eager. But in all cases there are exceptions.

I'll just talk Hardtails for a second, if you decide to go that way, you can save a shitload, Look at bikes around the $1600 mark in store, and you will probably talk them down to $1000-ish, and it should be well spec'd. To be honest, $1500 would be my stopping point with a Hardtail though, unless it was a 29'er.

oh, by the way, How tall are you?
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

norbs wrote:
Something else to consider. Accessories! You might spend $2000 on the bike, but then you'll go through another $500 in no time. Lights, knicks, pumps, bottles, saddle bags etc etc etc. So keep that in mind.
yeah, it adds up in a hurry, so as I mentioned before, try and get as much of that thrown in with the deal on the bike.
norbs wrote: What ever you do, I hope you get half the pleasure I have from cycling. I am not hard core like Flinty, Mr Leisure, CLP or Hurts, but by jesus I enjoy it.
me? hardcore? lol....i wish.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Recommendations of MTB

Post by DexterPunk »

The specialized guys said the larger wheels are the way to go. 26" being the older size? I'm about 6'1" Hz.

Cheers for that norbs... As I've done big rides before, I know I do like it. The issue would more be around finding someone to go riding with. I'm sure I'd go lots at the start by myself. But would hate the motivation to drop off over time If I've spent a bit. Also don't want to spend $700 and trash it like I did when I was younger and lighter. That's just as big a waste. But this new bike thing has been lingering in my mind for a few years now, I thought I may as well do some research. Thanks again for all the info. I reckon I really need to go ride a few.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I would avoid a 29'er as a 1st bike to be honest. They do have advantages, but there are also disadvantages.

They roll quicker, but have slower acceleration.
They handle rough terrain better, but they suffer in cornering

for every positive there is a negative. at 6'1", you don't need a 29'er, sure you are good size for it, but you won't be cramped on a 26"... 29'ers are a shitload dearer too, they are trying to upsell.

having said that, I want one..lol..
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

I think mine is a 29er. 700C wheels?
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

29'r + 700C.. you need to watch the pot holes norbs.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Hz never does anything half assed, and he speaks the truth... But, I spent $700 and I can't fault my bike at all, does everything I want it to on the trails and I've only used all of my 100mm travel once. If you want to do jumps and big drops and all that fancy stuff then spend up but then you gotta be prepared to fork out for all the safety gear too. For pretty decent fun trail riding you can spend a grand and get bloody good value in my opinion.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

that being said, your bike was reduced wasn't it? if not, it was a shitload of a bargain. Your bike's spec'd out alright is it not?
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

$1300 when it hit the market but yeah dropped down to $800 when the new model came out and then haggled to $700. I couldn't find any other bikes at the time near that price with matching gear. I haven't ridden anything else on trails though so I haven't really got anything to compare it to so maybe I'd be amazed by a $2000 hardtail but if I'm gonna spend that much I'd save a little more and go a dualy purely so I can tackle the downhills aswell
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

Yeah I reckon you did alright, Avanti, like Giant, are another brand who spec their lower end bikes out really well. For example, when we were shopping for the missus's bike we compared a rockhopper to the Giant Talon. The Talon we ended up getting for 1100, had hydraulic brakes, XT driveline and crank, Rockshox Tora lockout forks. The supposed "equivelent" Specialized Rockhopper still had Mechanical Brakes, had Basic shimano driveline, and RST shocks. And they wouldn't take any less than $1400 for it.

Actually, the Avanti Torrent is a pretty awesome Trail/all mountain duallie floating around at the moment, I rode one at Life Cycles the other day, it felt veeery noice!
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Hz-Lab wrote:Yeah I reckon you did alright, Avanti, like Giant, are another brand who spec their lower end bikes out really well.
agree.. Miss V was looking at the Avanti Agressor 2.. very nicely spec'ed i thought
http://www.avantiplus.com.au/products/a ... ggressor-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if she hadn't been offered the Scott at a reduced price then we probably would have walked out with one of those.