Guitar Tabs - WTF?

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Guitar Tabs - WTF?

Post by smithcorp »

My son wants me to send him the liyrics and "guitar tabs" to The Jam's That's Entertainment. A search on Google and I'm stumped. Every site I find seems to click you off to who knows where and dodgy scam sites.

Is it a file, or sheet music looking thing I need to download; and can anyone tell me where I can find a legit one - a music store?

thanks

smiss
petey

Re: Guitar Tabs - WTF?

Post by petey »

...Use to be really popular year or two ago however music labels did their best to stop people 'tabbing' their music. Best I can suggest would be something like http://www.ultimate-guitar.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Search the tabs ?
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i always use ultimate guitar for tabs. It's there but it seems it's mostly just a chord guide rather than actual tabs. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.p ... type=title" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Ta guys - I'm still confused as to what to send him. Do I copy and paste the sort of text file that displays on the screen? In one of the versions, there's these little blue-coloured letters like Em7, which if I click, open this little image file - is that needed?

cheers

smiss
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
petey

Post by petey »

Well that would depend on whether he has memorised chord charts :p

The thing you need to know about guitar tabs is that it is very limited in expressing time. So if you send someone just a guitar tab without them hearing the music first it can be impossible to tell how long to hold each note etc.

However if you have the music, it is as simple as just listening and reading the tab. Each line represents a string same as in the chord fingering pattern you have there. The numbers on guitar tabs though refer to which fret you should play.

So, if he has heard the melody before and would like to know the phrasing and notes to play just save the tab page in html and email/print. If it is just a chord chart which only gives you the chord progression without melody then it might not be what your after?
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Post by smithcorp »

Thanks Petey.
Dr. Pain

Post by Dr. Pain »

I use http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finding tabs for it can be a bugger but they are accurate. This is a good program :yes:
Minister for Religious Genocide.