At last! A simple phone.

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

At last! A simple phone.

Post by Big Kev »

I've been saying for years that there's a market for a simple phone for people who don't want games or apps or anything fancy, they just want a phone.

Say hello to the Vodafone Emporia RL1, a 60 quid handset designed solely for voice calls and texting - and none of that app nonsense.

And with large, clearly labelled buttons, the RL1 is not only geared toward the smartphone-phobic but also folk whose eyes and motor skills might not by up to touchscreen navigation.

The 92g phone has a OLED screen, and only connects over 2G networks - on the 900MHz and 1800MHz bands only, we're afraid, making it less useful as a low-cost phone you can take overseas without worry too much about dropping it in the pool or having it nicked.

The RL1's two nods toward smartphone functionality: a calendar and an alarm.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Re: At last! A simple phone.

Post by bengatta »

Great News... There is hope still that one day I might be able to get a new phone... I have hung on to the old nokia for a while now. :)
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

hell, yeah! and I bet it costs far less to put together, it has barely anything in there :D
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

Don't fight technology you old fuddy duddy's. It leads to depression!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Santaria wrote:Don't fight technology you old fuddy duddy's. It leads to depression!
your depression, that is :lol:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

i like that phone.. but i like my 6300 also.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

didnt the dude who "invented" *see below* cell phones announce some new Motorola phone that even had a dial tone when you pressed the green button? Some simple solution to aid the elderly.

*invented with guidance from Wobbly.
--------------
Stu
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

At last! A simple phone.

Post by w00dsy »

I don't really understand the phobia with smart phones. Out of the box an iPhone doesn't really do a whole lot, so you're not forced to do fancy stuff. It's just extra apps that turn it into a toy. Even the keypad is one of the most basic I've seen, and text messaging is a standard qwerty keyboard and not predictive text or having to hit each number 3 times to get the right letter. My work mate hates smart phones yet his is one of the hardest phones I've ever tried to use. I think iPhones have become popular due in part to their simplicity.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

People hate change, Woodsy. That's all it is.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk while on the toilet.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

w00dsy wrote:Out of the box an iPhone doesn't really do a whole lot, so you're not forced to do fancy stuff. It's just extra apps that turn it into a toy.
But it costs £600.

I think Apple have missed a trick that a lot of the other companies do. The pay as you go market usually has all the old tech at knock down prices. If you're not bothered in paying big bucks for the latest nokia, just wait 3 years and it'll be £100 on PAYG. It's still a perfectly good phone, just old tech. Apple could easily sell iphone 3's cheap on PAYG but they still cost hundreds.

But, one problem now is that virtually every new phone is a smart phone. So people who just want something simple are almost being forced in to having these big complicated things that they don't need. They just want a phone. And that's what this does.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

you said it, Kev.
I don't need a toy, I need a PHONE. Small, light, simple & cheap. It's for talking, and telling me what time it is. Nothing else.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Same.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

ysu wrote:you said it, Kev.
I don't need a toy, I need a PHONE. Small, light, simple & cheap. It's for talking, and telling me what time it is. Nothing else.
Stupid tech companies adding weird features to a simple device, I mean don't you know that's what a watch is for? People just want a PHONE, not some time-telling function...
:teach:
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

VTRacing wrote:
ysu wrote:you said it, Kev.
Stupid tech companies adding weird features to a simple device, I mean don't you know that's what a watch is for? People just want a PHONE, not some time-telling function...
That settles it, I am going start work on a unit with a rotary dial... :)

That has gotta be a big market...

bugger... http://www.concept-phones.com/samsung/s ... phone-pen/ :D
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

You know one day in the future, when mobile phones have long moved on from our current position, there will be a thread like this saying "At last, a simple phone!" And it'll be a newly released one which is just like the iPhone 4 :D

"I don't want a phone which reads my mind!"
It's been nice, chaps.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

one day phones will be an implant in ones head!