Best ways to share pictures?

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Best ways to share pictures?

Post by Big Kev »

[I might have asked this before but I can't find the topic]

So, now I'm taking a few more pics and I'm planning on going to some places over the summer, what do you guys think are the best ways to share pics?

There are a few options out there.

Flickr/photobucket/picassa accounts
MobileMe
Buy some cheap hosting and add a gallery script

All are perfectly decent.
Flickr is simple and pretty cheap (£15 or so for a year) and offer good enough grouping and displaying of pics although I've always though the thumbnail panel is a bit clunky.
I looked at picassa when it was launched and the interface was terrible but it might be better now.
Never looked at mobileme but being a bit of an Apple fan that might be a good one to look at.
Cheap hosting is easy enough but the gallery scripts tend to need a lot of TLC whereby all the pics have to be sized and thumbnails made and code added for each image so they're a bit too hands on I think.

Any other suggestions?
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Re: Best ways to share pictures?

Post by Gougoodthing »

reading something the other day that flickr is just about to go thru a major face lift.

O use flickr (a lot), (have never used the other ones), and i think its perfect for my needs.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Flickr is good, but it seems to have gone down hill lately. Well, ever since Yahoo took over. My renewal is due in April and I am seriously considering not paying up for another year. Problem is, there will be a lot of photos go missing. :(
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Google+
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

does anybody still use that?
Chris Bloom

Post by Chris Bloom »

I still think Flickr is the best option. Maybe not as flashy or trendy as other services but does the job of storing & displaying photographs very well.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Funny no-one mentioned Facebook. More photos are shared on Facebook everyday than all of those combined.

You can set galleries to be public..

#justsayin
eek
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Facebook is a decent option mainly because you have unlimited storage, and if you are happy to have max resolution up to 2048 then its worth considering.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

That is higher res than most monitors.. who often looks at pictures larger than the screen?

Since Facebook greatly improved their photo section recently, I've been transferring all my sets from flickr over there using this site http://export.goyaka.com/facebook-login" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it can take awhile but does it all automatically. You don't even need your pc on once you've set it to go. Now people actually comment on my photos :) I don't know if i'll renew flickr pro or not when its up.
Speed

Post by Speed »

As far as I know the largest viewable resolution on Facebook is 960 pixels.

Also & not that I lose any sleep over it, Facebook have rights to use every one of your images on their page. They love you to upload images in the highest possible resolution.
Someone was telling me last week that by uploading images to Flickr & then sharing that link on Facebook means that they have no rights to them.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

That has changed recently, Speed. I can now view full screen on my 1920x1200 screen

You might be right about the usage rights.. but with the amount that get uploaded every second, you'd be unlucky to have them use one (or lucky? Good exposure :))
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i've always had the theory that once you've uploaded it to anywhere on the internet, anyone could end up using it. It's just a question of if you find out about it or not. If you don't want people to nick it then don't upload it.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

That is true. Thats why I let Getty license my flickr images. The other week they sent me $80. Wasn't sure what for, then my face appeared on the front of BCF catalogue holding a huge snapper hahha.
Speed

Post by Speed »

kwijibo wrote:That has changed recently, Speed. I can now view full screen on my 1920x1200 screen
Thanks for the info Kwij.....congrats on the BCF cover. :yes:

Yeah I know what you mean Woodsy.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;