The Artist (2011)

Chat about stuff you've seen
J.D.
Rat

The Artist (2011)

Post by J.D. »

Anyone here see The Artist?

I was a bit late on the scene with this one. It was recommended to me by a friend but I was too slow to catch it at the cinema.

George Valentin is an acclaimed silent movie actor who, through motives of his own, launches the career of an actress called Peppy Miller. Peppy goes on to become a star of the new talkies but George, too proud and unconvinced of the new technology, disappears into oblivion.

Peppy tries whatever she can to persuade George to make the switch to talkies but George won't do it. He's convinced that real artists just need to be seen rather than heard. Time passes by and the Great Depression ruins him so, in the company of his amazing dog and faithful manservant, George sinks further into an abyss of alcohol and unhappiness.

Oddly enough, this film is almost as much comedy as drama and it's all the more engaging because it's silent.

A mix of fantastic quality and a bit of schmaltz make it very enjoyable.
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: The Artist (2011)

Post by wobblysauce »

Of what I remember about it, I don't recall it being bad.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

watched this the other day, it was excellent. really enjoyed it. First silent film i have ever watched.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Bored 50 shades of shit out of me. Should be no surprise to anyone that knows my film watching form.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Been meaning to see this. Should be good. Black Swan on the other hand was utter rubbish.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Yeah, I was lucky there. I smelt a stinker...
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.