Nice track day car?

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Nice track day car?

Post by DexterPunk »

http://carsales.mobi/private/details/su ... 9-13852755" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Basically no mods as well.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Re: Nice track day car?

Post by VTRacing »

It's on its second gearbox...that's not a good sign.

I don't know what the regs are with wheels in Vic, but the car came standard with 16" wheels so I don't know the legality of 19s.

In terms of track day fun, a WRX is quick but they don't feel that nice on a racetrack until you modify the crap out of them. The standard brakes will fade within a few laps, in my experience.
:teach:
petey

Post by petey »

I would think, replacing clutch and gearbox in a wrx of that age - the diff(s) would be fairly had it? Pure speculation but that would be my first guess.

The question would be, what sort of track car do you want. I would think if you want a reliable track car - that's not a good option. If you want a straight line fast drag car - it's not a good option, if you want a track car that will be fast around turns - it might be good, but it will mostly come down to the tyres you put on it and making sure the suspension is in reasonable nick. The brakes would be another thing.

In short, sounds fairly thrashed.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Not really for me, don't have the cash spare for such things. Actually if I was looking I'd probably be interested in something like autocross or some amateur rally. But I wouldn't know the first thing about how to get involved, and probably couldn't afford to sustain it either. It would probably help if I had mates who were mechanics, or interested in such things.

Anyway, I should have chucked in a bit more info, but it's a mates car. He just bought a new Renault Megane (turbo of sorts). I doubt it would be trashed too hard, he's not an idiot driver and seemed to take it easy when I've seen him drive. He would have owned this car a good 5+ years I'd think. Just saw it posted on Facebook and thought it might be a good option for someone else out there with more spare coin than me.

VTRacing
Team Pedant (c)

Post by VTRacing »

Clutch change with those kms I can live with, I did 220,000 km on a MY98 and I needed a new clutch or two and a couple of throwout bearings because it was on dirt all the time as a recce car. Mine still had the original gearbox though, and if this guy's broken his then he's been trying to do quick upshifts with big throttle %.

The standard diffs are open anyway. If you test drive it, make sure it's from cold and see what the synchros are like on 2nd and 3rd with a cold gearbox.

In terms of performance per $ it's pretty good. So long as the engine oil has been changed regularly the engine is pretty indestructible. Wheel bearings are a weak point if it's been trackday-ed, and the bigger wheels won't have helped.

Am I being helpful? :D
:teach:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

You're always helpful, VT.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Clio 172 with mods for that price. 'sif you wouldn't.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

The only people that blow wrx boxes are those that drive the car like they stole it.

Yes, they are a known weak point. But driven 'normally' they are fine.

My old wrx had 220kw atw on the standard box for nearly 12 months before I replaced it with a 6sp.
Even had 2 track days and 3 skidpans. Didn't blow it.

The guy that replaced the box with a 6sp bought it off me as it was still good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Steve
---