Region free Blu-ray. How I did it.

Chat about stuff you've seen
J.D.
Rat

Region free Blu-ray. How I did it.

Post by J.D. »

We all remember what it was like with first generation DVD players. That is, until the likes of Pioneer said "why should we make 6 or 7 different players just to protect the big movie houses?"

Region-free Blu-ray is another ball game altogether. It's a much more difficult system to crack.

Since I get the majority of my Blu-rays from overseas, it made sense to check it out before I bit the bullet.

When I bought my current TV, it actually came with a "free" Blu-ray player but I had to prove the purchase and wait 8 weeks or so for it to arrive.

At exactly that time, Clive Peeters advertised a Blu-ray player called an "Allure"* for the then-unheard of price of $99. But by far the most compelling thing about it was the ability to change the region for both DVD and Blu-ray simply by punching a code into the remote.

I found it very difficult and the first few times it only worked sporadically. In fact, the first few times it didn't work at all because I was using the wrong codes. All this was predicated on NOT updating the firmware.

A couple of months ago, a shop I patronise notified me that Ridley Scott's "The Duellists" was coming to Blu-ray but it would be Region A only. Big disappointment. I couldn't live without that one.

I watched it on my desktop and yes, it looked fine but not ideal on the computer.

Eventually, last night I dragged out the old Allure, which I hadn't used since the arrival of the Panasonic. After a few attempts, I actually got the bloody thing to work. It's a piece of piss really. Open the drawer, punch the code in with the remote and close the drawer. Then open it again, put in the Blu-ray and close it. From there it should play.

There are alternatives too. Kogan make a "Region Free" Blu-ray player at about $129 and there are others which can be fooled. The Kogan system is easier to use than the Allure. But if you really want to know what is and is not regionally coded, have a look here:

http://regionfreemovies.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Also sold as "Momitsu" and "Sherwood".
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Re: Region free Blu-ray. How I did it.

Post by AstrO »

I remember buying one of these, but I lost it when I split with the ex. These days I use my HTPC with AnyDVD HD and media centre with the current powerDVD addon.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Yep, a good alternative.

The only reason I didn't go that way was that I already had a player which could do it.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Gougoodthing
Call me Nancy

Post by Gougoodthing »

Off Topic:

I've got a cheapy Blue-Ray player too (with a very good TV and Surround sound system)

Works fine.

Only problems i get is it can take ages to load/start, pause etc, and the sound isnt as good as i'd like. Picture quality is sparkling, i doubt a more expensive one would improve picture quality.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I didn't think Blu Ray was region locked.. My kogan player isn't..
eek
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

No but you'd have to change the region if you want to play a Region A disc in it. It isn't automatic.

AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

J.D. wrote:Yep, a good alternative.
It a bloody expensive option, I can tell you that! ;)
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

AnyDVD?

Yep. Overpriced to buggery, IMHO.

richo

Post by richo »

It's available at most "stores" for next to nothing.
[]D [] []v[] []D
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

J.D. wrote:AnyDVD?

Yep. Overpriced to buggery, IMHO.
Was in reference to the entire setup ;)
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Ah...sorry.

Actually, the price of AnyDVD was a factor, believe it or not!