Suggestions for stopping my wife from chipping my car paint

Chat about cars, motorbikes and all other transport
Montey

Suggestions for stopping my wife from chipping my car paint

Post by Montey »

Hi Guys,

So, I just got myself a new car (Volkswagen CC V6 FSI). My previous car had a row of paint chips down both sides from where my wife (she says kids, but I'm not convinced) liked to throw open her car door and slam the corner of it into the side of my car. I'd really like for this not to happen on the new car.

So, does anyone have any suggestions (besides giving my wife a frontal lobotomy) of what I could stick on her car so that when she slams her doors in to my car they don't chip/dent my paint?

Her car is a VW Tiguan. As you can see from the image below, the rear doors have a very sharp point above the rear wheel which is perfect for knocking the crap out of a parallel car.

Any tips?

- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
Crowella

Re: Suggestions for stopping my wife from chipping my car pa

Post by Crowella »

I was going to suggest a new wife but you can get some foam protectors for the points where the doors poke out. They won't look the best but could save the paint.

I don't mean the hideous massive foam strips down the side, you can get (or probably make) some thin foam pads that fit on the edge of the door.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

You can get the rubber strips also, and the ones with the reflectors.

What about parking space itself, is there room to not hit the other car with a full door open, and you are just parking to close?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Montey

Post by Montey »

The parking space is in a "2 car" garage, so the space is somewhat restricted.

I have purchased some door bumper things, but they are designed to stick on the flat part of the car door and don't cover the actual pointy corner at all. There is a type of door edge protector strip that is supposed to protect the door itself against being banged in to walls, but I am not sure how effective it would be.
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Lambo door hinges.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

--------------
Stu
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

LOL
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Stuff like this.. http://www.bumperdefender.com/bumper_pr ... uards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or...

Pool noodle your car..

Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Montey

Post by Montey »

wobblysauce wrote:Stuff like this.. http://www.bumperdefender.com/bumper_pr ... uards.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great find... that looks like it might be worth a try. Thanks. :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

So the 330i finished its lease (or was that ages ago)? Did you go for a new CC?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Montey

Post by Montey »

Exar Kun wrote:So the 330i finished its lease (or was that ages ago)? Did you go for a new CC?
Yeah, the 330i was paid out a while ago. It was 8 years old, this year, so whilst it was still a great car with solid performance and no issues it was just getting to that point where things start to break and get expensive.

I have replaced it with a VW CC V6 FSI. It has more performance than the 330i (VW is 0-100kph in 5.6s), with a larger cabin capacity and more advanced features.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Nice. We've got the same engine in our Skoda albeit detuned (only 191kw although torque remains the same as the VW). I wouldn't mind liberating those extra 30 odd kw in the Superb. It's not slow as it is but could always do with more power. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"