2014 Winter GT Series - Race 1 - Monza

Racing league forum for all different games.
Shaun

Re: 2014 Winter GT Series - Race 1 - Monza

Post by Shaun »

yeah norbs it works, proper chaos lol
Hello :aussie:
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

ysu wrote:
dvestate wrote:In terms of TS I could not be bothered using this for some communication method within the race. For me it would be full of nothing that I want to here in the race so during a qual or race session it would be switched off so telling me to go "left" isn't going to help you. I would agree it is better for pre/post race issues

What needs to happen if you can't pass people of all skill levels cleanly without being told which way to go or telling someone you are there is learn some race craft......

In my opinion if there is a pass for position happening it is more the guy passing's responsibility to make sure it is 100% clean, AMWArrior can tell you that when it is for position I am definitely not going to roll out the welcome mat and hand you the spot :)
You completely misunderstood me I think. But this tells me you never actually used such a comms method, so it's a small wonder you can't appreciate it.
You tell people to "go left" when you want them to be able to pass YOU safely. Not when you want to pass.
Altho a warning that "I'm on your left" helps a lot too - not everyone has 3 monitors, using rift, and it's easy to overlook that someone has sneaked up on you.

Can you do without it? Certainly. Is it a bad thing if this opportunity exists? Hell no. It's like a spotter, if everyone uses it in hairy situations it can save a lot of aggravation.
I have used it before, and I hated it in a race situation so basically it is off. I really don't want to hear what is going on in the back ground of everyone's room that the mic picks up.

The last time I used it in a real world serious situation I would only have the "Admins" live for any important info. Any example would have been in Div B last night based on the pick's half the field blowing up, I don't want to hear that if I am driving off in the distance due to missing it. The only time I enjoyed it was back in the LFS/MPR days when we did not take it serious and the team talked crap the whole race!!

It all comes down to being aware of what is going on, there are nice little Red arrows that indicate where are car is so as that moves to the side of you in a passing situation so it is pretty clear that someone is making a move on that side of your vehicle. While you may not see the car there you now exercise some caution, if someone is racing and has no idea where the trailing car is then they need to not race. (or turn the little map on that shows the black blobs chasing you)

So please understand that while you my like it, others don't.

Also please don't assume it just makes an ASS out of U and ME
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Hylas were you braking the whole time after the hit?? If not based on the pics if you had of hit the gas you may have been able to cut the track and be first and maybe not hit anyone :p :lol: :tilt: :vibes:
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

DarrenM wrote:If people need brake lights on the car in front to tell them when to brake, what do they do when they race a car without brake lights?
dvestate wrote:In terms of TS I could not be bothered using this for some communication method within the race. For me it would be full of nothing that I want to here in the race so during a qual or race session it would be switched off so telling me to go "left" isn't going to help you. I would agree it is better for pre/post race issues
I've only heard that sort of crap in oval races on iracing. As you say, you can mute it when racing/qualifying if it's too distracting. On iRacing I usually have text and voice off when in car for qual and races but leave them on for practice. Having a general rule to keep chat to a minimum also helps.

It just makes it vastly easier for people to know what's going on when things go wrong with the server, and to chat during practice and post race.
Did you just say a very similar thing to what I said but worded a bit differently...... With both said we don't like it for Qual & Race and both agree pre and post race it is fine

PS - Stuck at work till 6pm, been here since 7:45am.... bit cranky, might be time to close the forum while I wait until something doesn't break and I get to sit here doing not much
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Righteous wrote:Out of curiosity, what do you feel was miss communicated YSU? We had an issue when we realized the race was 5 laps longer than we thought, but we restarted the session and everyone fueled up no problem. Other than that it's all pretty automated and clear I would have thought? Not having a go, I'm curious.
Sure no problems.
I think I have not said that there was miscommunication, if I did, it was by mistake. Rather a general lack of communication, and this is in comparison to what I am used to.

Mind you, when the session did not start and we restarted, I was pretty confused about what's going on. But figured it out.

I had no calculations for fuel - I know, my mistake - but with a verbal comms channel this could have been sorted out in a second, too. ( I've measured the fuel usage in praccy, carefully comparing it to the estimation and found it nice & correct. But I had to log out quickly at the end of qually to try and fix some frame rate problems, and forgot to note how much it was estimating... :melt: )
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Smasha D
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Smasha D »

good to be racing again :tilt:

so a moment to thank pix and all involved, its early days for AC and it will only get better

had a good start and was looking down the inside of se1z before putting on the mist wipers and falling back in line ... glad I did looks like I would have been collected :melt:

a bit nervy for first few laps and let the recovering group thru on the last turn before settling down and getting into the groove, giving pix and then se1z a good chase. sitting in 3rd I made it to lap 13 before the inevitable happened, 1st spin cost me the spots, 2nd spin cost me a ton of time and 3rd spin cost me the front end lol

I wasn't going to make it on fuel so no biggie. I did get caught out with the lap change, blindly thinking the restart was going to adjust the laps, tho may have missed something in the one line chat. ts would have helped here for sure, tho im not a fan of the comms during the race having seen a history of screw ups ... I do hope everyone uses push-to-talk.

looking forward to the next race :yes:
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Hey guys..

Some good (and some a little heated) discussion around last nights race. Keep the constructive suggestions coming.. we read them all and are taking it all on-board and will make some changes for the next race..

AC have just updated the server code with fuel/damage rate options so we need to get our head around that too.. Once we do we will post outlining our suggestions and invite comment.

Practice Server updated to 0.21.6!

Race One Points
We have looked at the results and awarded the points as follows.

If you got kicked due to network or PC problems points have been awarded.. if you rage-quit.. you got nothing.

If you would like to appeal these points PM ME.. don't post here.. PM ME before 5pm Friday (EST) outlining why they should be changed.

1. Darren 60pts
2. dvestate 55
3. Nutty 50
4. Amwarrior 45
5. Boxhead 40
6. AstrO 39
7. Shaun 38
8. Viper 37
9. Righteous 36
10. Flinty 35
11. Rots 34
- Neil 0
- Crowella 0

1. huyest 40
2. waywardtoaster 35
3. Cursed 30
4. SE1Z 25
5. Hylas 20
6. Todd 19
7. Davo 18
- Brett 17
- Norbs 17
- Ysu 0
eek
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

Lol mine wasn't a rage quit. I just felt better knowing I wasn't going to screw up anyone's race.

Ah well. Next time. Maybe someone can beat Darren by the end of the series?
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

We need Chaz, Sam and Scottie back to give Darren some competition ;)
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by dvestate »

Nah they can stay away so the rest of use can fight for podiums ;)

Anyways, could not help myself I was going to have a night off but after an hour of TV AC was calling :D burned off some sighting laps for Imola and got myself a clean lap to submit once entries open.... Just not sure if it is Div A fast enough
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

Crowella wrote:Lol mine wasn't a rage quit. I just felt better knowing I wasn't going to screw up anyone's race.

:D There's no way to police that, but it just makes your move all the more noble doesn't it?
hylas

Post by hylas »

dvestate wrote:Hylas were you braking the whole time after the hit?? If not based on the pics if you had of hit the gas you may have been able to cut the track and be first and maybe not hit anyone :p :lol: :tilt: :vibes:
That would of put a smile on my face but wouldn't of lasted for long. The best I could manage was 1:51 :-(

This idea of an official VoIP setup is one I also share. It's all muted during race and qualify though (I would chat to say a team mate during a race but not the entire field)

I would prefer to see online practice with comms used in the week leading up to events. And post race rambles :-)
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

I've been ignoring TS as I find it too distracting.

Back in the LFS days, MPR would have a TS channel for each div we were in and only the MPR boys would be online - so no chit chat.

I'd be ok with free for all during prac, but muting everyone for the race.
Steve
---