Fetch TV - ditching cable TV?

Chat about stuff you've seen
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Fetch TV - ditching cable TV?

Post by smithcorp »

I signed up for the Optus unlimited broadband deal few weeks ago and it included Fetch TV with an Entertainment Pack, 30 movies (per month I think?) and a trial Netflix account. The box arrived yesterday along with a couple of passthrough adapters I can use if I don't want to trail an ethernet cable between the router in my office and the TV in the loungeroom. I hadn't given the Fetch box much thought when I ordered the broadband package. I have Optus basic cable TV and figured this Fetch might be something I wouldn't really use.

However, reading up on it, it seems to me I could ditch my cable TV and hook this thing up. I have the 100 Mb/s speed pack so I figure I probably have enough bandwidth to run the TV via internet. Anyone else got one of these and what are your experiences?

smith
pixelboy

Re: Fetch TV - ditching cable TV?

Post by pixelboy »

Depends on what you watch mate. Live sports would be the main difference.

I would love to have 100mb/s internet and would consider moving house to get it :)
eek
smithcorp
Occasional Visitor
Occasional Visitor

Re: Fetch TV - ditching cable TV?

Post by smithcorp »

Yeah, I don't really watch a lot of live sports on cable - I don't even have the sports channels in my package. The kids love Nat Geo for animal shows and cartoons (which Fetch has). Mostly on cable I've been watching History (not on Fetch), Boxsets and some other channels like BBC (which Fetch has). It's looking likely that Fetch will be a big improvement. Can record two channels and watch one, set up series recording and have Youtube, SBS on demand etc.