Heidfeld Bags Williams Seat

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Heidfeld Bags Williams Seat

Post by Exar Kun »

Well, Nick Heidfeld has the seat. Good to see. Pizza boy must be crushed. :tilt:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

good

nuff said
--------------
Stu
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Whats with all the wacky looking front ends this year? We should start a "ugliest front wing poll" soon :D Although I dare say Ferrari is winning atm.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Rots wrote:Whats with all the wacky looking front ends this year? We should start a "ugliest front wing poll" soon :D Although I dare say Ferrari is winning atm.
The front wing has to be 50mm higher this year than it was last year. But the centre section can stay at the same height as it's always been (it was already a bit lower than the rest in recent years). So now we get all these bizarre looking noses. :tilt:
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Have any of the teams gone twin keel this year? I know Williams were going back to single, did McLaren stay with twin? And Sauber also had twin last year.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Exar Kun wrote:
Rots wrote:Whats with all the wacky looking front ends this year? We should start a "ugliest front wing poll" soon :D Although I dare say Ferrari is winning atm.
The front wing has to be 50mm higher this year than it was last year. But the centre section can stay at the same height as it's always been (it was already a bit lower than the rest in recent years). So now we get all these bizarre looking noses. :tilt:
Oh ok. I got a better idea... revert back to the glorius racing of the 1960's... no wings... :D :D

Wonder who would win/die first?

Not sure on the single/twin keel situation, but it certainly has grabbed my attention - especially with Ferrari's mini me front wing.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

You really think Bernie will agree to take all that sponsor space off a car? pppfffftttttt :D
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Sauber were single keel last year but twin a few years before that. McLaren are the only team I know of that are still twin keel. :tilt:
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

w00dsy wrote:You really think Bernie will agree to take all that sponsor space off a car? pppfffftttttt :D
Me and a mate had the genius idea to have the cars painted blue then you use fancy technology like they do in footy matches putting the team logos on the pitch and athletics puts the runners names onto the track, to 'project' ads onto the cars. Thus you wouldn't need wings, you just change the ads on every lap :D
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

Exar Kun wrote:Sauber were single keel last year but twin a few years before that. McLaren are the only team I know of that are still twin keel. :tilt:
The advantage of the twin keel is to get better airflow under the car.
Williams "opened" up the nose with the Walrus whereas McLaren went with the needle nose last year.
The MP4/20 doesn't look like it would allow the same airflow so maybe they've abandoned it as well.
Just my speculations though, no proof.

For a cool little 20 min video of the Williams launch go here
http://www.f1racing.net/en/video.php

Pizzonia looks absolutely devastated when they interview him. :yikes:
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

Bacchulum wrote: The advantage of the twin keel is to get better airflow under the car.
Williams "opened" up the nose with the Walrus whereas McLaren went with the needle nose last year.
The MP4/20 doesn't look like it would allow the same airflow so maybe they've abandoned it as well.
Just my speculations though, no proof.
yeah your right, pretty much everything on an F1 car these days is about directing airflow from the front to the back wing. The down side was it was extra weight, so they had to gain a fair bit from the air flow to offset the disadvantage of extra weight over the front wheels. It would be great to sit down with an aerodynamiscist and have him explain the design of an F1.