Selling my car (advice saught)

Buying or Selling stuff? Here's the place to do it.
Forum rules
The admins take no responsibility for goods sold, bought or swapped on the forums. This forum is purely for making others aware that you have stuff to buy, sell or swap. Please make all transactions of money and goods via PM or email.

Sellers must have a reasonable number of posts on this board to advertise. If you register and advertise straight away then your post will be viewed as spam and removed. Please contact one of the admins, however, if you think your ad warrants special consideration.

Thanks.
Montey

Selling my car (advice saught)

Post by Montey »

Hey all,

This is more of a seeking advice at this stage...

I am planning to sell my car in the not too distant future (next 2-4 months), and am not familiar with the best way to achieve the best price / easy outcome. What advice can you give for someone about to sell their car.

Car Details:
  • Nissan 200SX S15 Spec-R (Purchased 2002).
    1 driver only, purchased new.
    Australian model (i.e. not an import).
    The car is an Automatic, so it aint been thrashed by some weenie who thinks he's cool. Haing said that, if you know how to drive an auto you can still get some great performance out of it.
    No mechanical failures with the car ever, the only part replaced is the battery and spark plugs. At time of sale I will also have put some new rubber on its wheels.
    Small scratch at top of A-pillar by drivers side, but does not penetrate any further than undercoat (about 2" long, made from accidental key scrape).
    Panel rub on left-rear quarter-panel made from a 4-wheel drives rear bumper.
    Some wear on carpet in foot-well on drivers side.
    Boot lid creaks slightly when opened and closed.
    Otherwise in perfect condition.
    Just over 33,000 K's done.
Redbook suggests I could expect somewhere over $29K. Drive.com.au shows 2nd-hand cars of a similar ilk, but more K's going for as much as $36K. I know I can't expect that, but...

Any thoughts?
- When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.
- If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!
pogo

Post by pogo »

Panel rub on left-rear quarter-panel made from a 4-wheel drives rear bumper.
Aah, you should have given him racing room... :)

Sorry mate, nothing else to add :p
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Ballparking only, but you can expect somewhere between $25-30 thou, although you're going to have to advertise it towards the younger ricer racers to get that.. it's unfortunate, because I quite liked the 200SX's style and go-power.. good little engine/drivetrain package.
It'd be a shame to see it get riced up and driven into the ground.

Good luck if you go ahead with the sale dude.

(FYI, try selling it on a Nissan forum, you might get closer to what it's worth rather than one of those car sales websites or what have you.)
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
Mark Taubitz

Post by Mark Taubitz »

I would recommend fixing the little things - is easy to ask money towards the higher end of the price range for a flawless car - gives the impression it has been meticulously maintained. Get it detailed, fix the creaking boot and the bumper where the 4wd rubbed you - might only cost $400 -$500 all up, but might help you get an extra grand or two.

DOn't forget, just because people have $36000 on their car doesn't mean they will get it!!! there are lots of dreamers out there - find what a car like yours is selling for at a caryard. Deduct a couple grand for their margin, and a couple grand for what they need to leave to cover any warranty things etc and you have an idea what you should be asking.

I found a QLD dealer with a manual car, same k's as yours for $29,990, and an auto with about 70,000 k's for $27,990 - probably indicates you could try asking around $29,000 yourself and see what happens. You would probably get around $21-$22,000 from a dealer as a NET trade in. As someone else mentioned, your best bet is to find some young cashed up p plater - but they will want a car that looks he part - hence my earlier comment.

Good luck

Mark Taubitz
#74 RRE