Minardi planning on something a bit different

Chat about Formula 1, V8's, Indycar etc
Forum rules
Please be careful about posting results in threads discussing current sporting events.

Where possible can the first person to start a thread on an event add *spoilers included* (or similar) to the thread title so that all discussion on the event is kept in one place and readers are aware that the content may contain the results.

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Minardi planning on something a bit different

Post by Big Kev »

Minardi team chief Paul Stoddart claims the 2005 Minardi F1 car will feature radical aerodynamics. The team will start the 2005 season with last year's car and introduce the new car in time for the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola. It is thought the new car will have a radical nose and engine cover concept.

"Our preparations are going really well," Stoddart told Autosport. "The new car is due to be ready in time to race at Imola and it will be a radical change - you haven't seen a Minardi that looks like this I can tell you. It is vastly different to anything we have done before and you'll struggle to find anything in F1 that is the same."

"I'm pretty confident we'll be able to give Jordan a good run for their money," he added. "We will have sixteen races with the new car and engine to try to get something but we have to be realistic that if the front guys do their job and have reliability then we're not going to get a point."
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

something i look forward to seeing this season definately :)
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

They reckon they won't have much room at all on the engine cover for sponsors... not that that should be a real problem for them. :p

:tilt:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i heard on the radio today that Ferrari is saying Minardi will be in breach of the rules because they are planning on running an updated 2004 car at the start of the season. Anyone know more about this? Considering Ferrari themselves are doing exactly that.
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

Minardi can't afford to update the PS04B (all their budget went on the new car :D ) so they want to run 2004 specs for the 1st 4 races.
All teams have agreed to this except Ferrari! :yikes:
I can't see Minardi, even with 2004 downforce figures, troubling Ferrari so it seems rather petty and bitchy to me.

Stoddart has said, however, that if it doesn't pass scrutineering he'll protest and while it's under protest he can still run.

My question is, are Ferrari intentionally trying to become outsiders from the other teams or are they just pig-headed stupid??
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I know Stoddart is a good guy, but seriously if you can't afford to update your cars then you shouldn't be in F1.
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

i feel sorry for sayin it... got a soft spot for stoddy... but I agree with Jas on this
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I know Stoddart is a good guy, but seriously if you can't afford to update your cars then you shouldn't be in F1.
Yep, kill off another team :yes:

Just what boring F1 needs, less teams.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I agree Norbs, F1 aint quite boring yet but it could be.

They gotta ensure that they dont loose anymore teams.

And WTF is going on with Ferrari / Fiat. I read today that Fiat are almost broke and bleeding cash. But yet the insist in spending stupid amounts of money on their F1 team..

I vote to keep Stoddy and Minardi. Give him a rev limit if they think hes gunna win.
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

pixelboy wrote:I agree Norbs, F1 aint quite boring yet but it could be.
If it isnt now, I'd hate to see what boring is. Granted, there is the odd very good race, but overall, it is a race to pole, a race in the pits and very little racing on the track.

Take the fucking wings off them, throw huge rubber on and watch it then. :D
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:

I meant Stoddart, not Minardi. He has done a great job so far keeping the team afloat, but they haven't made any progress since. What they need is someone with loads of money that can grab sponsors and key people. I agree with Bernie about Stoddart though, why would a sponsor give money to a guy that keeps saying he might not be here in a few months. Stoddart is rich, but sadly not rich enough, he's trying to do it as a one man show, he has kept Minardi's head above water, now it's time to look at some bigger fish for the sake of the team, otherwise Bernie will get rid of them in a flash.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

pixelboy wrote:And WTF is going on with Ferrari / Fiat. I read today that Fiat are almost broke and bleeding cash. But yet the insist in spending stupid amounts of money on their F1 team.. .
FIAT are barely paying anything to the Ferrari F1 team. Ferrari is mostly financed by sponsors, a little by the road car division and a little by FIAT and a bit by TV revenues, of which they get a larger chunk than anyone else. Ferrari are currently searching for ways to cut costs that don't lose them their advantage. The recent sweetener from Bernie for them to sign up to F1 until 2012 was actually much needed for Ferrari to go on spending as they currently do.

And Norbs - the word is that the regs for 2008 and beyond will involve massive changes including cutting back downforce to only 10% of current levels and reintroducing slicks. So, you may yet have your wish.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote:
And Norbs - the word is that the regs for 2008 and beyond will involve massive changes including cutting back downforce to only 10% of current levels and reintroducing slicks. So, you may yet have your wish.

Cant happen soon enough. Rod and I were chatting about it a couple of weeks ago. He knows motor racing like I know wanking, and he reckons steel brakes would be good to. Im for no pit stops, no wings, huge rubber and completely manual gear boxes. Feck, any sheila could drive an F1 car these days. Not fast, but you could drive them.

And the sooner Bernie and Max drop off the twig the better. If Rod and I were running it, then there'd be a bloody spectacle. :D
Jamo

Post by Jamo »

Norbs you can run my F1 anyday. Hell give me a job as consultant.
I drink a great deal, I sleep a little and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two hundred percent form - Sir Winston Churchill
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

norbs wrote:
Exar Kun wrote:

Cant happen soon enough. Rod and I were chatting about it a couple of weeks ago. He knows motor racing like I know wanking, and he reckons steel brakes would be good to. Im for no pit stops, no wings, huge rubber and completely manual gear boxes. Feck, any sheila could drive an F1 car these days. Not fast, but you could drive them.

And the sooner Bernie and Max drop off the twig the better. If Rod and I were running it, then there'd be a bloody spectacle. :D
That sounds like my sort of F1... I'd watch it then for sure :D
Bacchulum

Post by Bacchulum »

w00dsy wrote:
norbs wrote:

I meant Stoddart, not Minardi. He has done a great job so far keeping the team afloat, but they haven't made any progress since. What they need is someone with loads of money that can grab sponsors and key people. I agree with Bernie about Stoddart though, why would a sponsor give money to a guy that keeps saying he might not be here in a few months. Stoddart is rich, but sadly not rich enough, he's trying to do it as a one man show, he has kept Minardi's head above water, now it's time to look at some bigger fish for the sake of the team, otherwise Bernie will get rid of them in a flash.
I think that's the reasoning behind Stoddy's decision to spend nothing on the PS04B.
He's trying to break the catch-22 Minardi are in, not enough money to move forward and can't get any more money as a back marker.
Putting all eggs in one basket is very risky but it seems all that Minardi can do these days, try and build a car that can compete (with at least one other team :melt: ) to look more attractive to sponsors.

I hope it works. :aussie: :kangaroo: :yes: