So what server are you normally on? I might log in there for a run
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Rust

Post by ysu »

It's called "Multiplay Australia PVP Sleeper friendly admins : D"
It's a sleeper server, mind you! So your body will be around while you're off.
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

found it. lots of wood shelters on the road :D
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

that's the one :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

has anyone ever built a shelter, maybe added a foundation and then found out you are stuck cos you tried to be too sneaky with placement?

:D
--------------
Stu
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

time for a story about greed

Its getting dark and by my own error, I had a fire going inside my shelter. Might as well have a sign out saying that Im home.

nekminnut, this dude is outside with an M4 shining its torch in my house. Im inside shitting myself. 1st night on this server, just got myself enough metal for a revolver and some ammo.

Little did I know, my furnace was accessible from outside and said dude says through his mic "hey thanks for all your metal. I can access your furnace from out here LOL" (he actually laughed out loud). I thought, you bastard. I checked my furnace and all was gone.

Then, and this is where greed kicks in, he decides to set a campfire on my roof and gets his axe out and starts hacking away at my house. He knows Im in there, why wasnt all my metal enough for him to move on. No, he wants everything. I know he has a machine gun and if he breaks down my door Im fucked. So I fling the door open while he is hacking away with his axe and before he can change weapons I pump 6 rounds into him and take him down. ho, ho, ho, now I have a machine gun :D and kevlar boots and shirt and 10 large med kits, some blood needle machine thing. Oh and I got my metal back :)

Then I moved house in case he came back

Good night :up:
--------------
Stu
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Haha excellent.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

nice! you might want to put the furnace farther from the wall next time, though :)
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

LOL nice.

Ysu, Loki and I found some bandits. I killed one and got his full kevlar gear, M4 and ammo. The other 2 we nearly killed and they ran away. We suspect one of the bandits lives on Ecko Mountain - south of Hanger. We got attacked while checking the base out. Not well defended so should be easily raided... unless they make it bigger of course. We plan to raid it next time we are on.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

This was pretty funny.

[youtube]in4zdlJhxdM [/youtube]
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

"Toby you're doing it wrong!" :rofl:
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Alpha
Zombies Were Removed
Yep. We did it. We decided we couldn’t hold off any longer. The longer we keep zombies in – the more complaints we’d get about removing them. We are forcing ourselves to deal with it. We are no longer a zombie survival game! They’ve been replaced with red bears and wolves. You hate them. We know. They’re just plugging a gap for now. All will be revvvealed.
Wildlife Was Improved
no longer exploitable by walking backwards
fears hostile wildlife
reacts to gunshots
hostile wildlife retreats if it cannot find a path to you
wildlife should not jump up and switch to random angles anymore
removed white wolf
Resource Objects Were Improved
added new models for wood & stone resources
wood & stone resources change model to indicate their quantity
added another stone resource – contains mostly stone
Other Changes
fixed bugs with the level (such as rocks intersecting buildings)
the ‘oil tank’ area has been modified with cover
workbenches make you craft faster when standing next to them
added new player animations
improved melee attack animations
added locked backpacks and lockpicks test ( off by default )
when you die your backpack is locked for everyone else but you for a time
someone else can use a lockpick tool to bypass this time
lockpick tools are a default blueprint
you can’t use lockpicks on doors
the amount of time the backpack is locked for is per-server and can be set to 0
footstep sounds will never play the same sound as the one previously played
grass textures have been improved
wondered why bears were red today :)

Good to see zombies gone. No longer am I playing another zombie game
--------------
Stu
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Apparantly at Next Valley there is a horde of Red Wolves... should be fun!
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The move

We got some hackers (and no admin presence) on the previous server, I've decided to skip. AusRust seemed like an idea, it's damn busy, too, ~80ppl on. Something else.

On the new server it took me a few attempts to find a place to get somewhat established (most chaps shot me on sight, they call the behaviour "KOS" aka kill on sight, hehe).

Once I've spawned near the tanks, sauntered off to the south as there's a nice forested area there with some resources...who knows I may get lucky. Few huts around the place, thankfully not many. All naked guys, so I probably have a chance. Good. My luck lasted throughout the first day, and gathered a few stones immediately, made a stone axe, and gathered some more, found a few wood piles, and even managed to hunt down a couple of pigs. I had enough now to put a hut down and make a sleeping bag so I'll respawn there on death.
I've even had enough to make a bow and a few arrows. Good huntings ahead!

After carefully selecting a hidey-hole, laughing at the guys camping in the middle of the field (inexperienced chaps!) I 've built my hut, wooden door on, and settled in. Cooked a few meats as I was getting really hungry - in fact I've nearly died of hunger; it took me so long to select the site.

Then I went out to continue gathering throughout the night - it's safer as visibility is minimal. Plus it's better to do the cooking in the day, that way the fire does not give your position away that bad. It was a tad tricky to hunt, mind you, I had to grab the torch, sneak close enough to the game to get a clear bow-shot, aim, take the bow out and fire blind, then grab the torch quickly to see where the game went. Still, managed to bring a few deers down.

The next day some people were having a bit of run-and-gun fun (well it was probably fun for the two chasing down the running guy, not sure about the hunted :) ) so I was really careful, not going out, just watching from the rocks where my hut was hidden. Once they were safely away, I've carefully gone to gather more.

This went on for a few days, carefully out when it's clear, avoiding people with any armor, and gathering/hunting.

I've gathered enough to really settle in, workbench, smelter & a small storage box all jammed into my tiny hut, smelter happily smelting my iron away.

At this point I've called on the friends to join in.

...to be continued...
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Bandits!

Few more days of gathering with my friend, Hootz, we met a few neighbours, they were friendly. Avoided a couple of bandits (phew) and I've raided the (fuel?) tanks area a couple of times for some leather pants & helmet.

Got enough metal to make a pipe shotgun - unwieldy piece but very effective at close range among the rocks.
I was getting rather pleased with myself.
And then came some more bandits.

I heard shots outside, went out to have a peek. Some chaps running around and terrorizing the populace, they were well equipped, I've heard the rattle of an automatic weapon, even. It seemed like the 'resource gathering' run of a more established group via taking it from the weaker ones.

OOps, one guy have spotted me, and took a shot at me with his bolt action rifle. I ran in the rocks to hide, bandaged up my bleeding wound, quickly, and was deliberating waiting it out here, going for another peek or hiding completely when another chap (previously unseen by me) came around the rock. I've lifted my trusty pipe shotgun to blast the guy into nothingness, but he took two quick shots at me with his pistol, which, in my badly hurt condition was enough. Good-bye cruel world. And leather pants. And shotgun. *sigh*

...to be continued....
Last edited by ysu on Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

The battle

It was getting weird huddling in that small hut of mine the three of us - with Rots and Hootz - butt naked...so we started on a bit bigger house - with metal doors for added safety - and some cloth armor for modesty's sake!

We were guiding a fourth prospect-member towards our hidden base. It's not easy to navigate with only the sun and a few landmarks to help you find your way!
He was close, now.
We went out to the main road near the tanks to meet him. Heading back, quick raid on the resource near the barrels (where I've found my leather pants earlier). Nothing there dammit! Someone must have cleaned it out recently.

Only a hundred or so meters to the base when 3 chaps appeared to the left of us, scantly clothed and firing arrows. We met them with pistols and and bows ourselves. We spread out when I got gravely wounded while trying to run behind a tree (damn those arrows can be deadly!). Bandaged myself up quickly, took a few shots with my hand-made revolver, (two connected, too!) but got another arrow for my troubles and that took me down. Luckily our base was near, respawned & grabbed a shotgun for myself and run back outside into the fray.

Amids frantic shouting on the TS channel, blood running fast, Rots took the guy down who shot me, then another. Rots is pretty good with weapons :)
And by the time I got there Hootz was chasing the wounded third guy of towards the north. I've joined the chase. The poor sod could not run too far with all the wounds, he bled out before we could have finished him properly :)

We quickly took our slightly wounded fourth member - Mason - quickly back to the base, just in case, since a firefight often draws in opportunist looters. He was a tad overwhelmed, knees shaking an all, it was a very harsh lesson about reality in Rust right on the first day of his stay.

But we were victorious!

We've looted the corpses for some bows, arrows, hatchets, some other resources, and a few small med-kits and a research kit! Really good value from a few not too well equipped bandits.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

great story. I will type up one for you in return soon. Was my first use of in game comms. Great fun

Anyway, Im still on the hackers server. Havent died for a while (that is part of said story) but have found blueprints and have traded so can now make bolt actions, 9mm and proper shotguns as well as the ammo for them
--------------
Stu
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

from this map, are you near civilian hangar?

--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

http://rustmap.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :) I've used it often, still keep it open for reference. It has the 'real' names of places as far as I know. They're very similar, mind you.

Anyway, we're huddled at the south-most point. Past the hangar. The hangar is N of the road, the tanks are S of the road to the east of hangars, where it says "civ desert" - that's not a desert anymore, mind you, but signature of the place - the two tanks - are still there. We're in south Ecko valley.

Oh and the in-game comms is a godsent. Especially on a busy server like this.

Tips: don't trust people who say "help me" - even if they're chased by bears. You take the bear down, the take the hatchet to your head. Yes, unscrupulous opportunists are everywhere. Better to take the guy down, then the bear, then run off quickly with all the loot :)
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

haha yes, better to not trust the randomns you encounter. Someone will lead you into the their house offering free gear, only to trap you for the lol's.

We've had a good run, but it's getting chaotic lately.. so many bandits around and being raided hinders progress!

Also, over 4,500 hackers have been banned over the weekend from the Official servers. Not sure if the server we are on runs the new Cheatpunch hacker detection yet, hopefully does.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Rots wrote:Also, over 4,500 hackers have been banned over the weekend from the Official servers. Not sure if the server we are on runs the new Cheatpunch hacker detection yet, hopefully does.
If I read correctly, it's now installed as part of the last patch - on every server. Hence the copious amounts of bans :)

Even though they've announced they'll only release it on the 'official' servers only for testing. Hehe, good move. Lots of people are getting caught, and by the looks the false positives are absolutely minimal (if any).

p.s. have we been raided again, Rots?
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

Oh good, might have to return to the older server were we are kings lol.

Not sure if we have been raided, haven't logged on today.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Rots wrote:Oh good, might have to return to the older server were we are kings lol.

Not sure if we have been raided, haven't logged on today.
well, if the old server has no admin presence it may not be updated either...but it's tempting. :)
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

if thats the server Im on, Ive got a shed load of bits now :)

well maybe not now, havent logged in today
--------------
Stu
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

LOL, yeah, ausRust is the latest server we're on, it's really-really busy.

4 of us walking around with shotguns today...we had a ball. The neighbours...not so much. :D We raided the hangars, killed a bunch of mutant bears/wolfs, a few guys too, one of them looked at us funny, so we shot him in the face. The other was gathering resources - easiest way to get resources is to harvest it from a body, eh? Raided Radtown Factory as well, but we still haven't found a bolt action. Nor kevlars. Nor a leather pants. Bit of a bummer. And that research kit in one of our chests is really hot now.