Chris Cornell - Scream

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
pogo

Chris Cornell - Scream

Post by pogo »

Just acquired it, having a listen, this space left intentionally blank :) (quite dig it so far, good on him for doing something different)
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Re: Chris Cornell - Scream

Post by Hz-Lab »

hmm, i might need to get this. I am still at a loss with Cornell. Liked him way back when. Then when Audioslave started I couldn't help but dislike it purely cos it was the death of Rage. In hindsight, what they did was quite good. I just checked out the "Part of me" song. Again, I am 50/50. I like what he is doing, stepping away from the norm. But god dammit, why the hell get Timberland involved. The man is a cum stain on the face of Entertainment.

I'll get it, listen to the whole thing then comment again.
pogo

Post by pogo »

5 songs in, the title track is still the most easily enjoyable so far.

I thought RATM and Cornell were an strange collaboration... this is the musical equivalent of a meatsicle. Dunno if I like it or not just yet.... but fuck my dog, it sure is odd.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

thanks for the heads up, getting it now. Here's the video

[youtube] [/youtube]
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

ok, after hearing that Scream song I am not sure I am going to like this. But i'll still give it a go. It just sounds a little too forced. The songs (the only 2 i have heard so far mind you) and cornell himself seem OK. its just the hip pop style music that is putting me off. I know its meant to be different. but I just cant help thinking how much better this could of been had it had some gritty glitch electro behind it, somewhere between an aphex twin and a trent reznor.

Mike Patton flowed over into the pop genre well with Peeping Tom, mainly because he still brought his quirk with it. I think Cornell should of brought more than just his voice to this.

I'll try to get it over the weekend and give it a propper listen though. it's still might have something
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I think after Badmotorfinger and Superunknown, things have progressively gone downhill for me with Cornell. I've liked the odd song but things haven't grabbed me overall. Might have a listen to this tonight and see what I think.

And thanks for the reminder on Peeping Tom, hertz. I never did listen to them despite being a big fan of FNM, Bungle and Fantomis - I've always meant to give them a go but kept forgetting. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
petey

Post by petey »

Don't know about the album but the song posted is very un-inspiring.

Sounds nice, well produced. But very 'meh'; lyrics aren't brilliant, the classic hip hop beat, over produced vocals, boring progressions.... I get the feeling it doesn't know whether it wants to be a ballad or a dance floor song. Oh and of course very repetitive.

EDIT: just to note, I say well produced then call the vocals 'over produced' but that is because this style has overproduced vocals as standard. :tilt:
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Fucking awful.
pogo

Post by pogo »

I'm going with 'sonically-challenging', until I listen to it a bit more.............. :melt:
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

I've gone off it. It was fun while it was new, no replay value at all.
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

pogo wrote:this space left intentionally blank :)
You're not a pilot, are you?
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i finally had a listen, i think it competes with Morello's Nightwatchmen album for disappointment. I know people change but when one of the icons of the moody grunge rock era goes mainstream with Timbaland it really does make you want to vomilante.
pogo

Post by pogo »

J.D. wrote:
pogo wrote:this space left intentionally blank :)
You're not a pilot, are you?
No, but I am a peruser of appliance manuals.

I've forced myself through the album a few times (though never from start to finish in one sitting) and there are a couple of songs that are OK. Ground Zero is actually quite good I reckon.

But I definitely agree, it's very disappointing. I can't help but think sometimes it's better when they die at 27 :scratch: instead of just fading away into whatever this album is supposed to be.

But hey, maybe his best work is still to come.