Jailbreaking iphone

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Jailbreaking iphone

Post by DexterPunk »

has anyone here done it??

Im looking into it now.. theres a hell of a lot of info around about it, but seems theres many different ways, and programs. Does anyone know the best method for jailbreaking? My goal is to be able to run multiple apps (in the background), use my iphone as removeable storage, and do proper blue tooth file transfers.
wabbit

Re: Jailbreaking iphone

Post by wabbit »

Something about Blackrain then cydia & winterboard should be everything you need. Just be careful of OS verison before starting. I haven't done it myself but i know a few that have :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote: My goal is to be able to run multiple apps (in the background), use my iphone as removeable storage, and do proper blue tooth file transfers.
You mean the stuff the iphone should already be able to do? Good luck with that :p
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

why good luck with it kwiji?? are you saying it wont work?

even without these features, its still the best phone ive ever used or seen.
Last edited by DexterPunk on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

wabbit wrote:Something about Blackrain then cydia & winterboard should be everything you need.
yeah thats the prob... i hear all these names, and i dont know really what any of them are.. or do..

Blackra1n isnt working for me at the moment... i just get a connect to itunes logo and never jailbreaks it. I posted on whirlpool, hopefully someone will help.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Nar I have no idea lol. Seems like Apple don't want people doing stuff on the iphone that they don't permit though. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes :D
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Okay without me researching anymore;

Blackrain = jailbreaks the OS. Allowing you access to the file system.
Cydia = Like the AppStore app, easy access to lots of apps.
Winterboard = Allows for a fucking shit load of customisation on nearly anything.
markus

Post by markus »

DexterPunk wrote:has anyone here done it??

Im looking into it now.. theres a hell of a lot of info around about it, but seems theres many different ways, and programs. Does anyone know the best method for jailbreaking? My goal is to be able to run multiple apps (in the background), use my iphone as removeable storage, and do proper blue tooth file transfers.
Easy. Do you want to just jailbreak or jailbreak+unlock ?
Which OS version ? And 3G or 3GS ?
Much cycling such kilometers.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Heya Markus... I'm quite stuck. I don't need to unlock, just jb. I have a 3gs. Now all the info I have found suggests that you have to do a tethered jailbreak if the 3gs is a week 40 or newer phone. The 4th and 5th numbers of the serial number give what week the phone was manufactured in 2009. Mine is week 31. This is all to do with what version bootrom the fone is shipped with. The bootrom that won't let u jailbreak is 359.3.2... You can also check that by putting the iPhone into recovery mode and doing a few simple steps... I found out mine is 359.3 without the .2... It should work! But it doesn't. I try to run blackra1n and it tells me it's jailbroken etc but the fone never restarts itself, just gets stuck on the connect to iTunes logo... I've searched everywhere and even posted on whirlpool with all the iPhone hacking boffins there and no one seems to be able to help. Even if I have the evil bootrom, I still should be able to jailbreak it, it would just require a new jailbreak everytime I re boot the phone. But I can't even get that far :(

oh, the OS is 3.1.2 and I was using blackra1n rc3.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

markus

Post by markus »

DexterPunk wrote:Heya Markus... I'm quite stuck. I don't need to unlock, just jb. I have a 3gs. Now all the info I have found suggests that you have to do a tethered jailbreak if the 3gs is a week 40 or newer phone. The 4th and 5th numbers of the serial number give what week the phone was manufactured in 2009. Mine is week 31. This is all to do with what version bootrom the fone is shipped with. The bootrom that won't let u jailbreak is 359.3.2... You can also check that by putting the iPhone into recovery mode and doing a few simple steps... I found out mine is 359.3 without the .2... It should work! But it doesn't. I try to run blackra1n and it tells me it's jailbroken etc but the fone never restarts itself, just gets stuck on the connect to iTunes logo... I've searched everywhere and even posted on whirlpool with all the iPhone hacking boffins there and no one seems to be able to help. Even if I have the evil bootrom, I still should be able to jailbreak it, it would just require a new jailbreak everytime I re boot the phone. But I can't even get that far :(

oh, the OS is 3.1.2 and I was using blackra1n rc3.
If it's the same thing that with redsn0w, what they forgot to tell you is to unplug and reconnect the phone when it seems frozen.
Much cycling such kilometers.
Robbo

Post by Robbo »

How'd you go with this Dex? I'd be keen to know what you think once you've got it working. I spent a few days reading info from Whirlpool and some external links before I bit the bullet. I have 3G and followed all the pre-requisites with regards to firmware version, software etc. I used Blackra!n and it worked quickly and painlessly. Next was Cydia and then Winterboard. I really liked the way Cydia used 'repositories' to access apps and Winterboard was amazing. Some of the ready made themes are brilliant and then I spent about 4 hours configuring the phone so that it basically wasn't an iPhone anymore. My problem was that is did slow the phone down (because it is working harder). The game breaker however was that my wifi access became unstable. The novelty of it all wore off and I restored back to 'prison' mode in a week.

I'll keep an eye on the whole jailbreak thingy and one day, I might give it another crack.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Perhaps I am getting older, but I have had no real desire to jailbreak my iPhone at all.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Robbo, I have given up for now. I'm going to have to use pwnage tool to do it, blackra1n for what ever reason hates my phone. I think i'd be a bit like you, there sounds like there's some nice features... But at the end of the day I want a stable and reliable phone.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i got an iphone today, used blackra1n and now have a jailbroken phone with tom tom maps on there, swoit. The only issue is when you turn it off it won't boot back up again unless you run blackra1n again. But i doubt i'll have my phone off. I usually have them on 24hrs.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah thats the issue (for now) with 3Gs' made after week 41 iirc.. i mentioned it all in this thread... ive kinda jailbreaking it aside for the time being. Im sure it will happen at some stage.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Thinking about doing this soon as my contract runs up in may and ill just get a new one then. Ive got the old 3G 16GB. Has anybody succesfully done this and liked it? Any decent links/walkthroughs out there?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Have u read back through this thread???
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

DexterPunk wrote:Have u read back through this thread???

So the whirlpool link is the best link to use? Thats all i wanted to know.....
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah well... whirlpool has all the info you will need.. just read up a bit on it first. As far as i can see there are two ways to jailbreak it.. with blackra1n and with pwnage tools... with a 3G you may as well used blackra1n its easy as... but theres some do's and dont's on what combination of software to install on it first, and in what order.. i can't remember now.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

the blackra1n i used i just downloaded, ran it and it just did the whole thing, it was really just one click and wait for it to reboot. Simple as that really.
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

yeah blackra1n is easy.. but I wouldnt jailbreak an old 3G.. too slow.. 3GS would be better I imagine
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

whens the new one out?? June?? i wonder what improvements it will have.

I kinda figure by the time my contract is up (the gen after the next) ill be able to choose between an iphone and the droid/android phones, which should be settled in by then.
TIMMY30

Post by TIMMY30 »

Is there really ANOTHER iphone scheduled for release? My girlfriend works for Vodafone and she was saying all these people we're coming in asking when the new one was out. Nobody with vodafone knows anything about a new iphone yet.
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

Didn't they only just release the 3GS?