Biffy Clyro - Only revolutions

Chat about stuff you listen to or play
petey

Biffy Clyro - Only revolutions

Post by petey »

I'm not sure if these guys are well known, I have googled abit and seems they have been around a while. Anyway I heard a song on nova the other day and thought it was worthy of checking out again, so I got the whole album. Then I realised the song was pretty much tame compared to the rest of the album, the whole thing is tops in my opinion.

Someone mentioned they are the foo fighters of scotland, so thats your "sounds like". I think their slower/softer songs are a bit more snow patrol however.

Heres a few tracks off it.

This is the one I heard on the radio.
[youtube] [/youtube]

First track off the album, which I thought was pretty sweet. Little bit anthemic, but I like the brass.
[youtube] [/youtube]

[youtube] [/youtube]

Just went on a new music spree... never really listened to gyrscope or pendulum either and they're sweet. The temper trap is alright too.

The videos are incredibly uninspired and just rushed to get some airtime I think. Don't do the songs justice.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Re: Biffy Clyro - Only revolutions

Post by w00dsy »

i can hear a bit of Snow Patrol and Elbow in them, sounds pretty good. While i was listening to the first song my son said 'that sounds like Biffy Clyro'. He's heard The Captain and picked their sound. I'd only heard a bit of The Captain on a footy ad.
petey

Post by petey »

ah well there you go haha.

To be honest I don't like the album anywhere near as much as the others I have got. However I just thought it might be something people haven't heard - could be completely wrong ^ ^ Evidentally most likely am.

It's not bad at all, just a little bit average/mainstream.

EDIT: Actually the songs I liked on first listen, not so much anymore...however the songs I initially didn't like I do now.... haha. No idea why.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Hz-Lab
Magoo
Magoo

Post by Hz-Lab »

They've been around a long Time. Their song "Mountains" got heaps of Airplay here in Aus... to the point where it got sickening..lol.

They've never really appealed to me in the whole, There has been glimpses which I haven't minded, but they seem to fit in that Safe Rock mould to me. To be honest Woodsy's comparison to Snow Patrol fits better than the Foo Fighters one. Although Biffy Clyro tend to rock it a bit more than Snow Patrol.

Overall though not my cup of tea, but good for what it is. If you have played Dirt 2, their Mountains track is used for the McRae Tribute vid.
petey

Post by petey »

Yea I got a bit excited when I heard a few tracks that seemed alright.

His singing is what lets it down 9/10 times... they have some good intros then it will just soften up for a verse of vocals... then back to anthemic chorus. Pretty samish.
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

I saw them supporting Muse last night and were a real surprise. Much more rock than I expected. A big thumbs up from me.
9ra55h0ppaH
Master artist
Master artist

Post by 9ra55h0ppaH »

What did you think of Muse last night Woodsy? turns out i was there too :p
Now with Added Flickr
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

they were terrific, much better than i expected. My son is a fan so we went for his birthday. I like a few of their songs anyway but the stage show was really good. I saw Linkin Park on sunday night(free tickets) and they lacked atmosphere, they were really just some guys on stage playing their songs, but Muse put on a proper show.

This is much closer to the Biffy Clyro live show, including no shirts and low cut pants, except for the 2nd guitar player who wore a suit. The singer reminded me a bit of Justin Hawkins the way he was dancing around.

[youtube] [/youtube]
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

w00dsy wrote: I saw Linkin Park on sunday night(free tickets) and they lacked atmosphere, they were really just some guys on stage playing their songs, but Muse put on a proper show.
I have heard some really bad things about linkin Park playing live, cant play there instruments, sound nothing like the albums, no stage presence. etc etc. Least they fixed some of there issues since they started out
w00dsy

Post by w00dsy »

they could play good, quite a few were multi-instrumentalists. Mike Shinoda plays guitars and piano, Chester also played guitar on a few songs and some drums, same with whoever the main guitarist is, he was on some drums at one point. They just lacked entertaining ability. But it sounded good.