Minecraft

No witty remarks yet.
Takumi

Minecraft

Post by Takumi »

Has anyone else played this? My cousin got me a dodgy copy (although I think you can play it free online). I hated it at first but after watching some tutorials on youtube it all made sense. It's basically a sandbox game where you can build anything or mine anything you want, and craft items using the materials you mine. At night time you have to get indoors and somewhere light, as monsters spawn in dark areas and come to hunt your ass down.

Ever since I managed to survive the first night by going to chop wood & mine some coal in order to make some flame torches, then digging out a little cave in the side of a mountain and boarding up the entrance with rocks, I have been completely hooked on it.

It's like human evolution from there - I went from living in a cave, to living in a slightly bigger more luxurious cave, to living in a small hut on top of a hill, to living in a tree house. And now finally living in a half constructed multi-storey mansion complete with pool area, all lit up to keep the monsters out.

The graphics look pretty pathetic but it is a java app - some of the monsters look lame too, but when you're walking through a field at night, or digging in a dark cave underground and suddenly come across one of them, nothing could scare the shit out of you more!
It's been nice, chaps.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Re: Minecraft

Post by ysu »

yep, it's fun for a while.
I hope the beta will be even better
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
c.j
Midget Wanker

Post by c.j »

One of my mates has disappeared from existence since the game came out.

And he was almost already transparent from living in his room for 6 years doing his degree. I would check it out if my laptop could handle it.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198089849481]Image[/url]

;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

its awesome. the halloween update just came out, havent tried it yet but im going to soon :D
Mr.Ferret

Post by Mr.Ferret »

Its crack cocaine...AND I LOVE IT!
iRacing Name - Joshua Brown2
pogo

Post by pogo »

just paid for it.... thanks Tak.... I think :p
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

pogo wrote:just paid for it.... thanks Tak.... I think :p
Haven't heard back from you in 2 whole days, how's it going? lol
It's been nice, chaps.
Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

I tried this game with Chaz. God almighty it is bloody addictive. Just goes to show it doesn't need to look good - it just has to be fun to play!
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

I showed this to my 14 year old a few days ago.
An hour later he asked for 9.99 pounds, havn't seen him since.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Sambo
Horse
Horse

Post by Sambo »

This game has done so well that Paypal froze his account under suspicious circumstances as they thought it might be a scam. Apparently in the first few months of the game he had over 800,000 pounds in the paypal account!
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

Been giving this a hiding over the weekend. Really enjoying it.

$14.50 aus has been a bargain for the time and enjoyment even just from this weekend.

Though I must say youtube and wiki were needed to help me understand the basics. :)
--------------
Stu
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

The Wiki has saved my ass quite a few times, even just figuring out how to make things :)
Here's a video I put on youtube a few days ago taking a minecart ride around my map

[youtube] [/youtube]
It's been nice, chaps.
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

I was just thinking, my map has changed so much even since this video. There's something so satisfying about mining and building things in this game :yes:
It's been nice, chaps.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Takumi wrote:I was just thinking, my map has changed so much even since this video. There's something so satisfying about mining and building things in this game :yes:
I'm still waiting for a proper multi-player release with monsters and stuff.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

It has that now, it's just everyone turns them off so they don't get hinderd with there building, I was on a very laggy server 2 nights ago that had monsters :)

Until the block respawn bug gets fixed multiplayer isn't worth it right now

edit to fix the auto correct from iphone... LAGGY NOT KATHY YOU DAMN PHONE
Last edited by NeilPearson on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pogo

Post by pogo »

nice vid, a hell of a lot of work there Tak! What texture pack is that?
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

NeilPearson wrote:It has that now, it's just everyone turns them off sonthey don't get hinderd with there building, I was on a very Kathy server 2 nights ago that had monsters :)

Until the block respawn bug gets fixed multiplayer isn't worth it right now
Nice, thanks!
What's the block respawn bug?
Edit: nvm, googled it :)

by the way I'd run a server either locally for the two of us here; or maybe put it on one of my servers - if there's a linux version ;)
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Id love to get a server going for us! :D I think we should wait until the block respawn bug is gone, its just no fun with that. I have a feeling it should be in the next few days. Well im hoping anyway.

Um not sure on the server stuff myself, but this is whats on the downloads page, so it can be done in linux.... but youd have to figure out how

If you're running on windows and just want to set up a server easily, download Minecraft_Server.exe, place it anywhere you want, then run it.
If you want to run the server on any other OS, or want to run it without the gui, it's a bit more involved.
First, make sure you can use java from the command line. On linux and mac, this should automatically work, but on windows you might want to set up a PATH system variable.
Then download minecraft_server.jar to anywhere, then launch it as:
java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
Copyright 2009-2010 Mojang Specifications. Terms and conditions. Credits. Support / FAQ.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Sambo wrote:This game has done so well that Paypal froze his account under suspicious circumstances as they thought it might be a scam. Apparently in the first few months of the game he had over 800,000 pounds in the paypal account!

I just worked it out, theres been 653456 Purchases, times by 9.95 euro's

6,501,887.20 EUR.

Converted to australian,

8,901,067.42 AUD

FUCK ME :|
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Guys!

if anyone is thinking of BUYING minecraft now is the time to get it. if your umming and arring, get it now regardless.

From Notch's blog,
Minecraft Beta: December 20, 2010
The next epoch is upon us! The skies are trembling, pigs are growing wings, and the nether is turning awfully cold, as Minecraft slowly crawls out of Alpha..

Minecraft will reach Beta status on December 20th, 2010.

With Beta comes a larger focus on polish and content, and we’ll start early on with adding proper modding support with a stable API, and we’d love all input we can get on this from the modders out there. We’ll also add some kind of non-intrusive narrative to the game to help drive the game experience early on, and to provide some kind of late game goal. There will be a bigger focus on testing and stability as well, with more time between updates.

When the game enters beta, the price will rise to 14.95 Euro.

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.

Soon, you will be able to buy gift codes for Minecraft, perfectly timed for the holidays! Even better, if you buy those before December 20, accounts created from these codes will count as alpha accounts, and will receive all future updates for free.

And the next game update (with server-side inventory) is coming next week, before Beta

Merry holidays happy! :D
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

There is an interesting article here...

http://www.gearfuse.com/unevenly-distri ... ust-build/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Guess Notch is about to get another massive influx of funds, not sure if it's well deserved or not as I haven't played too many games in the last 12 months but in 2010 Minecraft was the best for PC Gamer UK, as well as myself.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/31/pc-ga ... -the-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

server down?
It's been nice, chaps.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Looks like it.
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

just gobbled up Astro's last MB of quota.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.