Performance Fixes

No witty remarks yet.
tehsid
forum fairy - in a gay way!
forum fairy - in a gay way!

Performance Fixes

Post by tehsid »

Optimine - Improves performance, gets rid of blackscreen bug and much more. A MUST HAVE!

http://mod.ifies.com/f/110113/Optimine_1.2v2.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scaevolus wrote: New features:
- Rewrote the core rendering class to not suck. TNT explosions no longer lag you to hell, you can look at a lot of particles without horrible slowdowns, and chunk updates are faster.
- Fix a bug that can cause black screens.
- Eat OpenGL errors instead of going to a black screen. There's no need to eat saves because of poorly written rendering code.

v1 Features:
- Fixed FastRender.
- New text renderer.
- Simplified chunk rendering.
McRegion v5 (Optimized Saves)
WARNING! This will convert ALL SAVES to a different format. While there is a conversion utility, its best to backup you're saves just in case.
Q: What is the #1 cause of Minecraft lag?
A: Chunk updates.

This mod optimizes how chunks are stored on the disk, meaning pauses to load or save a chunk as you move around a world become much shorter and less noticeable.

The improvement is most noticeable on systems with slow disks, such as laptops. I have also had reports that it decreases memory usage of SMP servers.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic ... 5&t=120160" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---------------

I'll add more as I find them, but if you need any help with them feel free to hit me up. I'll be away in about an hour from now, but I'll be back asap.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Performance Fixes

Post by NeilPearson »

When you install the Optimine make sure you Delete the META-INF folder in the minecraft.java file. (copy the contents of optimine into there and delete meta-inf) otherwise it wont work!
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I haven't had any issues with the game so far... with lag though the highest I have gotten my 6cores was about 49% CPU usage and GPU has never been at 100%.

but I will try it and see what I find.

well I made a TnT building 64x64x64.. and didn't notice a difference with or with out the mod.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

49% you say? I'm guessing the max you ever really see with 6 cores is 16% since Minecraft isn't multi threaded, I really hope one day it uses multiple processors but I'm not sure if that's notch decision or a java limitation.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

SHoNKY wrote:49% you say? I'm guessing the max you ever really see with 6 cores is 16% since Minecraft isn't multi threaded, I really hope one day it uses multiple processors but I'm not sure if that's notch decision or a java limitation.
well... yes it Minecraft is only single core atm and of that single core, normal playing it is around 10%-16% with multiplayer as we are just placing bricks/looking at other peoples creations. But when we were going nuts with TnT that it is the highest I have seen it go up to is 49%. Though if you are looking at the cores as 1 core instead of the individual cores it is lower and shows up at around 10%-16% when going nuts with TNT and barely nothing at all when not but that isn't that case on Avg, because I run other things in the background eg Music and other things hence why I have a few cores, I will say this I haven't had all 6 core max to 100% other then Bench/Stress testing. 1090T BE @ 4ghz(a nice little stable OC I have had is 4.6Ghz on Air. But I don't need the extra power for daily use+ it uses A LOT of wattage for that OC think it was 280w thereabouts)

When I watch the Process Explorer(More detail then WTM) using dual monitors, Minecraft is a Java application, it will show up as the highest Working memory set JAVA(TM) Platform SE binary, you can see how much it uses in quite fine detail, to the point of knowing the IP and the ISP you are connected to while playing Multi and a lot of other good stuff.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Last night I put Optimine on my laptop which has ATi X1300 graphics and it made a fairly substantial difference to its performance, on the laptop I didn't have a frame rate issue but more of a memory leak problem, over time it would start to chug and lag behind mouse input, the fix was to change the view distance by 1 notch, and then continue on continuing with this each time things lagged again.

Before the mod I'd have to do this every 5-10 minutes, after the mod this has increased out to about every 30 minutes which is great.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Which type of memory leak. GPU or System?

I have a 4870 1gig, which is the slowest thing on my system as bottle necks go.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

No idea really wobbly, you know as much as I do, I've only done this on my laptop which is an ATi card, my desktop which is a GTX460 doesn't suffer from the same problem, maybe Nvidia has a better OpenGL driver than ATi does.