LA Noire

General game chat
mrleisure

LA Noire

Post by mrleisure »

It has been mentioned in another thread , looks awesome , hope it comes out on PC .

[youtube] [/youtube]
"There is a grey blur and green blur . I try to stay on the grey one...." Joey Dunlop IoM TT Legend

"You work for the line.. you own the line .. you defend that hard fought line." Steer
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Re: LA Noire

Post by wobblysauce »

It does look good.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

The facial animations are fantastic and the way the voices have been recorded has grown on me also, It's almost like watching a movie! The engine they're using still looks good... But I simply don't have any faith what so ever in Australian dev teams.

I'm also guessing this won't be coming out on PC. The last of these sort of games that Rockstar released on PC was GTA IV, it was filled with bugs, glitches and everyone pretty much said it was un playable. It's only recently seen sales for PC with the recent steam sales also, sadly it's not worth Rockstars time releasing these games on PC.

I'll be grabbing this day 1. I can see the bigger picture when it comes to the games Rockstar releases, this will come out buggy as hell and will run with a shocking frame rate but it's the stories that get me. I only recently grabbed Red Dead and damn that was a great game! Great story and a fantastic enviroment to go with it.

And with all that said, as the great man Sir. Wobbly of Sauces said... It does look good.
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

I never had a major issue with GTA4, only that my video card was 3years old at the time, but that was a easy fix lowering the distance and less shadows. Now with my new Pc.. Gpu is about 60% used with everything at maximum, only slightly laggy in built up areas in fast moving cars.. tho if there using the same game Engine-with tweaks, they should be fine as the cars wont move as fast.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

Wow The Rage Engine looks even better now.

Looking forward to this!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

LA Noire

Post by DexterPunk »

Never had an issue with GTA:IV here.

I'm still waiting for red dead for PC, so I don't hold much hope that this will come out anytime soon. I really just don't find console gaming as engaging.
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

oh yeah apart from windows live sign ins and sign in for the social club i never had any issues with GTA4. Took me about 4 restarts to get the games for windows crap sorted 3 days ago however...

I like the controllers with console gaming, Especialy with GTA style games. It feels more natural to have a xbox360 controller (dont like ps3 controller much). i can look around drive shoot a bit easier. On PC GTAIV i have to Drive with my left hand (WSAD) and move aronud with the mouse. Id rather have WS and arrow keys for driving, that restricts my views
Woodee
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Woodee »

I am looking forward to this game. A new take on the open world genre, and the face animation is just awesome! I hope this leads to greater games of this type advancing this technology.
My Fundraising Journey

Raised over £1000 for the Scoliosis Campaign Fund from 2011-2013.
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

Almost here! Anyone else pre-order it?

Getting pretty good reviews too, seems like one of those must play games.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I bought it today... But can't play it because I am 2500 k's from my Ps3 :(
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Picked up my pre order today! just starting now ill report in later
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Looks great - will be getting it for PS3 this weekend.
It's been nice, chaps.
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

Played it for about 4hrs straight last night.

I really enjoyed it!
Time flew by :)

I actually found it quite hard to read some of the characters....

It's a game you have to pay attention to, ie: no playing on your phone during cutscenes - you really have to watch, as well as listen, to what is going on.

It's sucked me in, that's for sure!
Steve
---
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Im with SE1Z, its a great game.. like nothing like I have played before, sat down put a few hours in last night. Loved it!

Once again rockstar has done a brilliant job. With LA Noire they have walked a fine line between being really intuitive without making the game tedious
I guess my only complaint is that it feels a bit restrictive early on, but now im a bit further into the game you have a bit more freedom/control of interviews/cases.. The gamespot review also felt the same way.

[youtube] [/youtube]
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

About half way through the game already and I still feel very mixed towards it. I went in expecting "GTA IV" or "RDR", 1947 style, but that is VERY VERY far from what this delivers. That was 100% my mistake though. THIS IS NOT A GAME, ITS AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE!!!!!!!!

*** SPOILERS ***

Its a great story / Noir, made freakin' awesome by the facial animations and sound track, but it feels extremely linear and simplistic in the normal gameplay sections. Everything is heavily scripted again like the good ol days (car chases, shoot outs, etc). Feels like all the polish went into the interview stuff while the rest (i.e open world) was just put in the game to pad it out.

Driving is rubbish. Vehicles turn on the spot and just feel numb to drive (overly sensitive). Every car feels EXACTLY the same, including the three wheel ones. Half the time it feels like the vehicles are on fast forward too. And they drive exactly the same in the wet. GTA IV had the driving nailed I think for the console market, so I dont understand how this can be so broken using the same engine. There are also invisible walls all throughout the map. THANKFULLY you dont have to drive, you can make your partner drive so you can almost avoid this entire aspect of the game (yay).

I've had all sorts of bugs so far; people randomly dieing at scripted events, cars spawning in each other, falling through the map, cars just disappearing, doors falling off cars, people flying off stairs.

Anyway the game is a modern day 3D Police Quest / Phoenix Wright. A little less pixel hunting for clues (although some would argue) but still all about finding evidence and using it to find the "truth". The interviews are the reason this is a must play game.

One trick I picked up is when your in an interview you can goto your notebook and see the % of people who 'guessed' right. That usually tells you if the obvious answer is the real answer. Sometimes you think your about to nail the guy but the writer has gone on a different tangent, so if you present logical evidence (but not the right evidence) you fail. But thats always a problem with these sorts of games. Its amazing how different Phelps reacts when you 'doubt' someone as well. Sometimes he will almost flat out accuse them of lying, sometimes sympathise, it makes it even harder to pick because his reaction is unpredictable!

Not being able to skip cutscenes you have seen before is also a bit annoying, but I can appreciate it as that IS the core aspect of the game.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

This game didn't really interest me when I first read about it.. but I'm getting more and more keen. Thankfully a few of my friends purchased it, so hopefully they finish it soon and pass it on :lol:
Takumi

Post by Takumi »

Some may call it an interactive movie, but what exactly is wrong with that? It actually does such a good job that my wife will often watch while I play, because it's just as interesting! I am loving it so far, I don't know how far I am through the game but I am guessing not much - just got promoted from traffic.

The handing on the cars did feel sensitive to me at first, but I guess you just have to re-program your GTA control style and just go a little more easy on the stick - they handle a lot better when you are delicate. I guess the driving was never meant to be the highlight of the game - simply a tool to get from A to B. The interviews are very challenging and it is pretty satisfying when you're stumped on whether or not they are telling the truth, lying or unsure - then get it right :D

Bugs? Well the only one I saw was during a cut scene when a whole lot of hit men were arriving to try kill some guy, two of their cars were stuck together as they drove in. Was pretty funny to see one of them break free and fly across the parking lot :p

I think Studio Bondi have done a great job - games like this don't come along that often and it's definitely worth the money. Just don't expect a GTA4 style game - because it definitely isn't.
It's been nice, chaps.
Dan
Wobbly2.0

Post by Dan »

Just finished the game, the ending seemed a bit empty but the rest of the game was fantastic. I'd love to see another game like this from Team Bondi based on another era. I didn't think an Australian dev could do it, but they did!

I had 1 bug in the whole game, walked up to a gamewell to make a phonecall, he picked up the whole gamewell and put it next to his ear lol

The cars were cool but handle like shit, for some reason all FWD :/
The Todd Norbury appreciation society
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

I played it a bit last night... reminds me of the original Police Quest game but without typing and awesome graphics and sound. Love it so far!

Like RDR, such an epic game... a must have I reckon.
ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

Ive had a few more bugs, mostly cut scene related. To be honest I actually enjoy the glitches, make for a good laugh... invisible people in cutscenes, floating guns, cars driving down the road sideways, doors swinging around in circles, partners falling off 3 story buildings, ... always something different :D

Finished the story in 16 hours, 70% total completion. Pretty good value for money relative to most games. Lol at the twist, I didn't realise until 15 min in that THAT was the twist everyone raved about. Still a bloody enjoyable game! It's amazing how many actors you can recognise through the game as well.

Cant wait till they do a zombie version :) la noire zombie nightmare dlc??
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

THe only bug I've encoutered was finding the cab in a homicide case. I took to long going to its locality as I did one of those random missons on the way. I had to google a solution as I didn't want to restart the case. Turns out the cabby stops his car on Garland Street and stands on the cabs roof waiting for you. I lol'd.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Reppoh, if you enjoy glitches, you should try out AFL Live. The commentary is hilarious just due to how much it stuffs up lol
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

ReppohC

Post by ReppohC »

kwijibo wrote:Reppoh, if you enjoy glitches, you should try out AFL Live. The commentary is hilarious just due to how much it stuffs up lol
Hahaha that game is all class. The never ending rotating camera so you can't tell which direction your running, and the fact you can tackle a player who took a mark without getting penalised!! I actually had a hoot playing that with a bunch of mates just because its so laughably bad at times :D

The best part about every glitch I encountered in LA Noire, I never saw the same glitch twice! Honestly I don't mind those sort of glitches though as they are always good for a laugh :)

PS: Anyone want to buy a cheap copy of LA Noire?
Fandango
Rubber Rooter

Post by Fandango »

How much Reppo? and is it the PS3 version? PM me if u want... I'm keen to try this one out.
Fandangas,Fang,Fangas,Bangas,Fanny,Fan,Fandsy,Fandangdiddlyo........