Tour de France 2011

CyclARSEts talk in here.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Tour de France 2011

Post by norbs »

How is there not a thread about this yet? Or did I miss it?

Starts this weekend. SBS Saturday night at 10PM. here comes 3 weeks of sleep deprivation. :)

This is possibly Cuddles last real chance of a win. I hope he can do it, but I am not all that confident. I don't think anyone can beat Contador to be honest.

Links you will need.

Official site : http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/us ... cours.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steephill TV : http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loads of Live links of video, audio and tickers : http://www.cyclingfans.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jens Voigt's blog : http://bicycling.com/blogs/hardlyserious/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I dont think he blogs much during the TdF, but worth a read anyway.)

Stage 1 : Passage du Gois Mont des Alouettes 191.5 km

The Passage du Gois looks terrific. Check this out.

[youtube] [/youtube]

I can hardly wait, despite the fact that Contador is riding, it should be a good race. Fingers crossed.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Re: Tour de France 2011

Post by bengatta »

I am wondering whether we can get from July 2 all the way through to July 24 without any Lance Armstrong drug accusations??? he is not in it, yet somehow he will attract substantial media attention again... a jilted ex team mate will provide verbal evidence yet again... :)

Other than that, I am looking forward to a good race... if cuddles doesn't win, I just hope he is in some decent form. He does deserve better than last year...

For those who have it, there is a bio on cuddles on fox (ESPN 8pm tomorrow... )
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

WOOT..

Come on webber.. err Cadel.. well they both come second more often that first.. :/
eek
norbs

Post by norbs »

No Haussler. :(

Garmin Cervelo

Tom Danielson
Julian Dean
Tyler Farrar
Ryder Hesjedal
Thor Hushovd
David Millar
Ramunas Navardauskas
Christian Vande Velde
David Zabriskie
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Umm not sure Haussler was ever penciled in for the TdF for this year, his goals were the Spring Classics which he failed miserably at after the injury's last year.
Their GC leader will be Christian Vande Velde but it realy looks to me as the team has been setup to try get Thor the green & keep it off Cav's shoulders, if that's their strategy then it's another reason Haussler is not there in my opinion.

Also notice how none of the young Aussie guns of Jacky Bobby & the Meyer bro's are included either.
I suspect it is because they are still very young but it could be seen that Green Edge may already have their hooks into them and Mr Vaughters is none too pleased.
Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:Umm not sure Haussler was ever penciled in for the TdF for this year, his goals were the Spring Classics which he failed miserably at after the injury's last year.
Their GC leader will be Christian Vande Velde but it realy looks to me as the team has been setup to try get Thor the green & keep it off Cav's shoulders, if that's their strategy then it's another reason Haussler is not there in my opinion.

Also notice how none of the young Aussie guns of Jacky Bobby & the Meyer bro's are included either.
I suspect it is because they are still very young but it could be seen that Green Edge may already have their hooks into them and Mr Vaughters is none too pleased.

I thought he said in one of the "Behind the peleton" episodes he was keen to do the TdF this year if his injury permitted. Hmm.

Yeah, 6 aussies in Garmin Cervelo and none got a ride. I reckon the Meyers and Bobby are to young Duke. Cam rode a good Giro, but Travis and Jack B are both neo pro still i think.

No Lancaster or Wilson. That is to be expected. I wasn't expecting Cam Meyer to get a ride either. Lancaster, maybe.

So I think that makes it 6 Aussie riders in this years race.

Cuddles (BMC)
Renshaw and Goss (HTC)
Gerrans (Sky)
O'Grady (Leopard Trek)
Porte (Suxobank)

Did I miss any?
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

Nope I make it 6 as well. But what a quality 6 it is.
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:Nope I make it 6 as well. But what a quality 6 it is.
Yep. Would have been good to see McEwen, Rogers and Hausller in there as well. That 9 would make a good "Greenedge" team. :)
norbs

Post by norbs »

A pretty good article on Cuddles in the paper today.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/the ... 1gvd4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a little infographic.

norbs

Post by norbs »

And a challenge I have been set by the guys at work.

http://cycling.norbtech.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ride at least 1 hour for every day the TdF is on. :)

A $100 Wiggle voucher if I can do it. I take them to the pub for lunch if I can't.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:A pretty good article on Cuddles in the paper today.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/the ... 1gvd4.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What a good article, tks for sharing norbs
This comment is just so true & provides a bit of insight into why Cuddles is the way he is;
“Chiara's Italian, we're living in Switzerland and I'm Australian riding for an American-registered team sponsored by a Swiss company,” he exclaims. “Life's already too complicated!”
Dukester

Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Post by Duke »

norbs wrote:And a challenge I have been set by the guys at work.

A $100 Wiggle voucher if I can do it. I take them to the pub for lunch if I can't.

Good Luck Mate,
So what you spending the $100 on, cause you have it in the bag if you were to ask me. :nod:
Dukester

norbs

Post by norbs »

Flinty72 wrote:
norbs wrote:And a challenge I have been set by the guys at work.

Good Luck Mate,
So what you spending the $100 on, cause you have it in the bag if you were to ask me. :nod:

I think they are going to hold me to the white tyres I told them I would buy the other day as a gag. It isn't in the bag though. I will have to stay motivated, that's for sure.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Sounds pretty good norbs :) pretty sure you can do that.. assuming you stop breaking spokes! :melt:
norbs

Post by norbs »

All set.

norbs

Post by norbs »

Another 200m and Cuddles would have got Gilbert.

Off to bed but very interested in the time gaps tomorrow morning.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

I missed the last quarter of the race :faint: That breakaway looked pretty dominant in the first half of the race but I didn't expect them to hold it until the final times of the stage :eyepop:

Anyway, come on Cadel :aussie:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Tour de France 2011

Post by w00dsy »

I watched some of it for the first time last night. I guess I'm not into cycling enough to enjoy watching the riders but I'm finding the scenery and what's on the side of the road fascinating. I loved that mock bike they made out of hay bales and quadbikes.
norbs

Post by norbs »

w00dsy wrote:I watched some of it for the first time last night. I guess I'm not into cycling enough to enjoy watching the riders but I'm finding the scenery and what's on the side of the road fascinating. I loved that mock bike they made out of hay bales and quadbikes.

Yeah, that is what most people say. The French country side is stunning. And the French farmers make all sorts of weird and wonderful displays out of all sorts of things.

Once you have watched it a few more times you'll start to understand the intricacies of the racing. Some of the highlights for me from last night.

- Greipel dropping it in the neutral zone. :rofl:
- Matt Keenan talking about oysters 4 times in 45 minutes.
- Vanendert's failed bunny hop and subsequent heavy stack about 70kms into the race.
- The intermediate sprint. That is really going to shake things up for the green jersey this year.
- The peleton playing with the break away. When they decided to reel them in, it happened damn quick.
- The mayhem when the spectator got cleaned up and slowed up Contador.
- Team BMC getting to the front to protect Evans
- Gilbert's finish
- Evans finish

Great stuff.

Edit : Terrific interview with Jens The Cult of Jens: http://ow.ly/5vy2h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
norbs

Post by norbs »

The crowds are giving it to Contador. :D
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

What's the team time trial thing for?
Speed

Post by Speed »

w00dsy wrote:I watched some of it for the first time last night. I guess I'm not into cycling enough to enjoy watching the riders but I'm finding the scenery and what's on the side of the road fascinating. I loved that mock bike they made out of hay bales and quadbikes.
Cycling is a lot like Nascar, you have to watch it a bit before you really understand it. :D
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

Speed wrote:
Cycling is a lot like Nascar, you have to watch it a bit before you really understand it. :D

I'm like the opposite of Norbs, he loves racing cars, but doesn't really watch it. I like riding bikes but not really into sitting down watching it. I'm the same with golf, i like doing it but watching it is not my thing. But i certainly understand it more now that i ride. I just don't have that passion for it like some guys do.
Speed

Post by Speed »

w00dsy wrote:I'm like the opposite of Norbs, he loves racing cars, but doesn't really watch it. I like riding bikes but not really into sitting down watching it. I'm the same with golf, i like doing it but watching it is not my thing. But i certainly understand it more now that i ride. I just don't have that passion for it like some guys do.
Oh ok. I just hear it a lot that people who try to watch the tour don't get it & assumed you fitted in to that category.
I know I had shit loads of trouble getting my head around it the first few times I watched....riders seemed to do what seemed like really dumb stuff that didn't make any sense.
I've been watching it for a few years now & I love it. The Tour de France is enough for me though, I can't be bothered with any others.
http://500px.com/Warren_Joyce" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

How awesome.. Evans almost 2 mins in front of Contador already.. He's going to need every second of that when they get to the mountains!

Schlecks are right on his hammer though... cant wait for the mountains to start on the weekend :)
eek