Thoughts on this?

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
thornz

Thoughts on this?

Post by thornz »

The wife wants a new camera, and a decent one, not a pocket type camera.
Can anyone offer any thoughts or feedback on this deal here?

http://www.grabonestore.co.nz/canon-1100d-dslr-camera" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Worth a go, or are there better options out there similar money?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Thoughts on this?

Post by DexterPunk »

Just make sure it has IS lenses/lens like the one you posted.

Also check out the Nikon D3100 Single lens kit. It's a good entry camera.
thornz

Post by thornz »

DexterPunk wrote:Just make sure it has IS lenses/lens like the one you posted.

Also check out the Nikon D3100 Single lens kit. It's a good entry camera.
Okay thanks.
So that lense is a decent one? I know absolutely zilch about cameras. I thought maybe that might be a cheap no named copy or something seeing as the price for lense and camera on that link is cheaper than the camera body on its own normally.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Thoughts on this?

Post by DexterPunk »

Nah it will be genuine. Price seems about right for a single lens kit. We don't do a single lens kit at work for that camera, but I know the Nikon D3100 single lens kit is $777.

Take another 15% off that tonight at JB stores. Kit lenses are ok for getting started, the old canon 18-55 like the one you posted except not IS (Image Stabilised) was rubbish. The one there on that link is the better of the two, not just because it has IS, but the overall image quality is improved.

Be careful of o/s websites or even Aussie ones if they don't have an Aussie warranty, a lot of them grey import from Hong Kong or similar.
thornz

Post by thornz »

Thanks Dex.
This one is aparently a parrelel imported model from the US, same as the normal one sold in NZ (1100D), just labelled as a Rebel T3(US model). Only comes with a 1 year warranty, but I know Canon are one the best names in cameras, so dont know if thats to much of a big deal or not?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Thoughts on this?

Post by DexterPunk »

I'd pay an extra $50 if it meant I got an Aussie warranty. Canon Aust won't help you out should anything go wrong with that camera. I made sure I did with mine, and it ended up paying for itself. A girl at Uni tripped over the USB lead while it was tethered to a laptop and broke the USB plug in the camera. I found out the main board would have to be replaced to fix it which was going to cost well over $1000. I took it to canon and told them I'd never used the USB port as I always used a card reader, when I went to it didn't operate. They fixed it for me under warranty, and while they were at it, cleaned the sensor and mirror box. :)

You may be fine and have no issues, but is it worth the risk?