Waterproof point n shoot

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Waterproof point n shoot

Post by kwijibo »

Anyone got one?

Thinking of getting an Olympus TG310, mainly because its cheap and I don't want to spend much. The missus lost our old point and shoot and wants another to chuck in her bag for parties etc. I figure we have a DSLR for high quality shots, so not too concerned about image quality - be good to get some 'different' shots underwater or at the beach.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Re: Waterproof point n shoot

Post by DexterPunk »

NONONOOONOONONONONOOOO to Olympus. Get the Lumix FT10 if you wan't something a little cheaper... we get more olympus coming back than anything else. The only TG310 I've sold came back after leaking... I replaced it with a new one and that had issues. The guy ended up just buying a decent Lumix. I pretty much won't sell people any low end Oly cameras because I don't want to have to deal with them complaining at me.

I'm buying one for my o/s trip by the way... I'm getting the Sony TX10.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

DexterPunk wrote:NONONOOONOONONONONOOOO to Olympus. Get the Lumix FT10 if you wan't something a little cheaper... we get more olympus coming back than anything else. The only TG310 I've sold came back after leaking... I replaced it with a new one and that had issues. The guy ended up just buying a decent Lumix. I pretty much won't sell people any low end Oly cameras because I don't want to have to deal with them complaining at me.

I'm buying one for my o/s trip by the way... I'm getting the Sony TX10.
Thats funny - I keep reading about the panasonics leaking and to get the Olympus :) The TX10 gets the best reports, but I really don't want to spend that much
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Nah Olympus is pretty much terrible across the board. dpreview has done some good comparisons of all the underwater cameras. Quite often if a Lumix has leaked its because the user hasn't followed the directions properly and checked all the seals before using it underwater. Gotta make sure they are all sand/grit free.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Cheers! Good thing I didn't pick up the Olympus the other day whilst haggling at Myer :)

Can you tell me what kind of price I could haggle this down to? http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital- ... sku-64866/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Can't really recall what the mark up is on them.. but ill find out tomorrow for ya and post back. I know they have just had a price drop from $294, so not sure if there's much left in it. The only time JB staff will go under 'cost' is if they are price matching or beating a price. Check your other local stores... office works, good guys, clive peeters, teds, camera house, etc and see if you can find it cheaper, print the page out and take it in. Generally they won't match obscure online websites as there's too many that grey import or that don't include the postage prices on the site till you proceed through the checkout... but the big name stores will convince them to match or beat it.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

thanks dex. Hopefully I'll be able to get it just as cheap from Myer.. simply because I have a $100 voucher there :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Good Guy just advertised the Panasonic FT10 for $198. I took the brochure in to Myer to see about a price match but the lady just laughed and said no. Guess it was under cost for them :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

yeah Myer doesn't really do that kind of business I don't think.
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

They're usually really good. Saved loads on my TV and Tivo. I guess they wont go a far as to sell at a loss though