Magpies

CyclARSEts talk in here.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Magpies

Post by w00dsy »

it's magpie season and i've been swooped a bit already. What do you do to stop them? Cable ties on the helmet, go alternate routes? Have a look at what these guys did.

[youtube] [/youtube]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Re: Magpies

Post by norbs »

Excellent. I have been telling a few people about that of late and keep forgetting to look for it. I think I might have even spoken to Flinty about it the other day.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

it is only a temporary thing... obviously the magpies have become used to helmets with stupid cable ties now... and have seen through the scam... but it has been years since they have seen wooly noggins...

For that to actually be true that would mean that no helmet would have worked all the time.. like even when back before helmets were even invented... which is not the case, I had many a magpie planted in my skull before helmets were made like they are now...

Fuck I hate Magpie season, I was in Mackay that other day and got up and went for a walk along the foreshore before breakfast... Quiet peaceful, until some clicking and wind rush woke me up from my trance... bustud was lucky I did not get my hands on it...
They say, any day you wake up not dead is the start of a better day than it could be...

You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice...

You're never too old to learn something stupid....
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

I've only had them hit my helmet from behind so I've never been bothered by them all that much.

There was one that used to swoop me on a road near my house. I used to just sweep one hand above my head when I heard it getting close and it wouldn't come back for a second try.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

GO GEELONG!
Hazelb
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Hazelb »

lol @ Dex...first half has been music to my eyes..I hate Collingwood...
love the look on Eddies and Joffas faces...I reckon they could be brothers!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Haha yeah im not even a Geelong fan.... But I am tonight! Fingers crossed it continues in the second half.
pogo

Post by pogo »

I've worked as a postie. Some blokes tried eyes on the helmet, feeding them etc, nothing seems to stop them though. Well, nothing other than a well-timed backhand ;)

Particularly nasty ones won't just go for the head, they'll "land" on your shoulder.... like being attacked by a squawking rat /shiver
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

pogo wrote: Particularly nasty ones won't just go for the head, they'll "land" on your shoulder.... like being attacked by a squawking rat /shiver
I can relate to this. descending a hill at about 70km/h (Fox Creek) and a magpie swooped at me and grabbed my helmet and gave it a fair twist. :fall:
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

i got done again today too, bastards.
CLP
C grade super domestique

Post by CLP »

Anyone cycling in Adelaide might be interested in this map:

http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/adelaid ... yclist-map" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;