Best do-it-all non dslr camera?

ARSE's photographers and arts forum
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Hey guys

I'm after a simple yet quality camera to use both for xmas happy snaps, scenic shots and sporting events (car racing & cycling etc). I'd like an SLR but I dont have the cash, the nouse nor do I really have the time, patience or interest to learn!
So I'm thinking along the lines of...

CANON SX40 (as posted by JD in another thread)
or
NIKON P500

Am I on the money?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Lumix Fz100 or Fz150 in my opinion.

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Enforcer-J

Re: Best do-it-all non dslr camera?

Post by Enforcer-J »

Thanks Dex. I think its going to come down to the best deal of those 3
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The Lumix is a more expensive camera, might be able to get the Fz100 cheap though, as it's a run out model. Careful of grey imports if buying online.. Just because the site is aussie, doesn't mean the camera is. From my experience, it's worth paying the extra dosh to have the support of Panasonic Australia, or Canon Australia etc if something should go wrong. I can vouch for Canon Australia when I had issues with my dSLR. They were great. Im also biased though, working in the dying retail sector.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Yeah i'll be buying locally :)
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

Depends how cheap you can get the grey import really. My mum bought a canon superzoom thing.. forget what model it was, but it was $600 in store here, $300 on d-d-electronics. If it breaks... just buy a new one and you're still even in that case :)
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I bought a $740 flash for under $400 delivered once. That was from B&H though. I tend to still use known online stores if I buy online.

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Ive got a Canon G12 and its awesome.. arguably the closest to a DSLR you can get..

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonG12/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

The G12 is great. But not sure it would have the reach EnJ would be after for sports/motorsports etc. I would also say that the micro 4/3 cameras (such as the Sony NEX and Olympus PEN) are closer to an SLR. Although at the price point they are at, no idea why people wouldn't just go with an entry SLR.

The G12 to me is the photographers compact. And I may be wrong, but I got the impression from EnJ's post, that he would prefer something more automated. If you don't use the manual capabilities of the G12, or take advantage of the RAW capabilities then it's a bit of a waste in my opinion. It is a fantastic camera though, for sure.

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

Your right on all points Dex but the G12 would give him the chance to branch into manual photography at some point if he felt adventurous...
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah... and everything right at your finger tips... even the ISO settings. He could still shoot manual on the superzooms he's looking at. just that the settings are more buried in menu's etc. A big annoyance for us, who would use those settings a lot, but if he only wants to shoot on auto 99% of the time, then it's fine. The option still is there if he did get adventurous.

I'd rather a G12. But I think for EnJ's purposes, the cameras he's been investigating would be well suited to his needs. With only 4 ish x optical zoom, the G12 would get nowhere near close enough. The Lumix FZ100 and FZ150 also do some pretty impressive burst mode shooting.
macca
Founder
Founder

Post by macca »

I thought the G12 would be a good recommendation, but like Dex, I got the impression the EnJ wanted something with more zoom & more automated. I have a G9 & have always been impressed with the results & the fact you can use manual function.

I would have thought the G12 was more expensive than the other options mentioned.
I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zedmacca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

I've seen G12 for not much over $500 lately.. the one thing it lacks is a long zoom
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

If it had a long zoom it wouldn't have as wide an aperture.... If it still did have as wide an aperture it would cost $1000. It's usually always a trade off. The superzooms mentioned aren't going to take as good an image. But you sacrifice a bit of quality (and low light performance) for the extra zoom.

This is why SLR's have different lenses. Because no one lens can do it all while giving optimal quality.

DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

PS. I would rather this than a G12...

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... fications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's an X100 as well which is even better (and very retro and sexy) but it's too bulky. Love the size of the x10.

pixelboy

Post by pixelboy »

very nice.. doesnt look like it's got granular flash output control (or it does and its not in the specs).. thats a deal breaker for me
eek
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

What is this? Off camera flash setting of sorts?

It has a manual shutter release doover though! Awesome. That's a deal maker for me because of its awesomeness.

J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

Lots here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... mera.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like Gordon agrees with you Dex:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... DMC_FZ150/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then there's this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.
Enforcer-J

Post by Enforcer-J »

Thanks for a bit of insight guys.
DexterPunk wrote:Yeah... and everything right at your finger tips... even the ISO settings. He could still shoot manual on the superzooms he's looking at. just that the settings are more buried in menu's etc. A big annoyance for us, who would use those settings a lot, but if he only wants to shoot on auto 99% of the time, then it's fine. The option still is there if he did get adventurous.

I'd rather a G12. But I think for EnJ's purposes, the cameras he's been investigating would be well suited to his needs. With only 4 ish x optical zoom, the G12 would get nowhere near close enough. The Lumix FZ100 and FZ150 also do some pretty impressive burst mode shooting.
Yup, spot on I will enjoy a bit of mucking around with manual settings but on the whole I want something relatively automatic. I really dont think I'm going to get right into it as I'm not a really visual person and what I think is a really cool photo, some of you blokes would pick the shit out of :tilt:

Decent zoom is a must. I probably wont need over 20x but definately more than the 4x that the G12 offers.

Probably going to have to go for the cheaper preffered option being the P500 considering the missus washed my iphone today.... :fall:
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

oops!

The P500 is still quite a capable camera. :yes:
J.D.
Rat

Post by J.D. »

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP500/CP500A.HTM#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
сначала мы убиваем американского лося и белку.

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell.

Proudly never a mod or admin at RSC from 2001 - 2009.