First things to do with a new smartphone?

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

First things to do with a new smartphone?

Post by ysu »

Ok, got my paws on a couple of these Galaxy S2's (well only one is mine, one for wifey).
Now, being a total n00b in this area, I thought if you guys feeling generous with advices, I'd be more than happy to listen. :)

I'd like to know if there are any things I should do, get, not get, keep my eyes open for, etc...
eg how to avoid getting pinged with data overuse, etc. (we've got the Crazy Johns $35 plan with 750MBs data - should be ok generally)
So far I haven't got the faintest idea about anything, I've not even found out how to check my data usage, hehe.

Many thanks in advance for any and all good advices!
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
Sarsippius

Re: First things to do with a new smartphone?

Post by Sarsippius »

I'd say just have a play with it, explore all the settings options (hit the menu button in some for the advanced options), cover your launcher screens in widgets, delete them all again :p
It's a bit like telling someone who's never used a pc what to do, except that there's not much you can do to totally screw up a phone and if you do mange it you can easily do a factory reset.
You'll need an app to monitor your data usage like 3G Watchdog or there might even be a Crazy Johns app or widget that will access your account for that.
Just about anything on your phone can be replaced by an alternative, the launcher, keyboard, dialler, calendar, sms, you name it.
Then after a few weeks (or maybe less) you'll start wondering about these apps you see that require root access. That's when the real fun starts and next thing you know you'll be flashing custom roms etc.
Last thing is like anything these days there's tons of info on the net, search around and read, read, read!
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

For the wife, setup a gmail account for sync and just let her use it. For yourself, go silly, play with it, get all the novelty out of your system, make sure all your sync stuff is setup for backup purposes, and when you are ready for your phone to be a tool instead of a toy, factory reset and install what you need and nothing more, or start playing with custom roms, but that is another kettle of fish. :D
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Switch off all of the battery sapping things you won't need on all the time like bluetooth, any kind of push syncing, DST time checking, stuff like that.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Thanks guys - 3G watchdog is installed now. I've been messing around with things a bit, you know widgets, few apps, etc.
gmail acc is up, too ;)

I'm bloody amazed that when you go for books, there's this place/app "kobo" I think, where you can d/l a bunch of real classics for free, Dumas, Victor Hugo, you name it. I'm very impressed.
I'm also amazed that I've seen some very poor categorisation - in both music & book stuff. The Hobbit is in the same category as something like "The wet thighs, deep throats" and to add insult to it, the dirt costs real money... :lol: that's the real human mind for you.
Rots
DiscoStu
DiscoStu

Post by Rots »

hehehe

Dunno about that phone, but I assume it has the ability to connect to Wi-Fi. I use my home Wi-Fi and any free Wi-Fi I can find to limit my data use.
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Rots wrote:hehehe

Dunno about that phone, but I assume it has the ability to connect to Wi-Fi. I use my home Wi-Fi and any free Wi-Fi I can find to limit my data use.
hell yeah, I've read up on that and that was the first thing to do; to connect them at home :)

Now I've tried a few apps, widgets, managed to connect it up with my google map (which interestingly wasn't working with the default calendar on it!), and tried a racing game.
Man, that's a fucken disaster. But the ability of this phone to do stuff in real-time 3D...wow. Just wow. I mean I've a 20kg box for this shit next to the desk, and this little thing can do it ;)

But the best thing so far is the "angry rudolf" ringtone :lol: :D
here it is: http://www.zedge.net/ringtones/0-6-1-rudolph/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (first one)
NSFW! but I've been having a good laugh at this point while browsing :D
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

Guys, can you tell me if there's a way to set the stereo balance on android?

I like listening to good music but sadly my right ear is heavily damaged, so I need to set the balance usually fairly far right. And I can't find it...

by the way what do you guys use for music playing? The default thingo seems to suck balls big time...
Santaria

Re: Re: First things to do with a new smartphone?

Post by Santaria »

ysu wrote:Guys, can you tell me if there's a way to set the stereo balance on android?

I like listening to good music but sadly my right ear is heavily damaged, so I need to set the balance usually fairly far right. And I can't find it...

by the way what do you guys use for music playing? The default thingo seems to suck balls big time...
I use poweramp for my music. This also has a balance and tone controls. It's the best player I've used and the only one I've paid for.

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

thanks! works like a treat! :)