Microsoft Surface

Computer and electronic gizmo support.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Microsoft Surface

Post by Big Kev »

Microsoft’s home cooked tablet is a very thin cookie: the non-Pro version is only 9.3mm thick (a little less than the iPad), 680 grams (a little more than iPad), and packs a 10.6-inch, 16:9 “ClearType” (think Retina) display, available with either 32 or 64 GB of storage. It’s got tablet standards like front and rear-facing cameras and a full-sized USB port, along with some neat tricks: magnesium casing, HDMI out, Gorilla Glass, a kickstand (hmm) and a subtle groove around the entirety of the device to help keep the Pro version cool.

Surface, like everything Windows, will come in two flavours. The aforementioned super-skinny variant runs Windows RT on an ARM processor (like the one in your phone, or most other tablets), while the Pro copy runs an Ivy Bridge Core i5 x86 processor and “ultrabook specs,” whatever that might mean! It’ll be a little thicker and heavier, though not by much. The Pro Surface will be available with either 64 or 128 GB of storage.

Surface is designed specifically for Windows 8′s best tricks: it’ll support semantic zoom (awesome!), a stylus (not awesome!), while providing a perfectly superflat frame for the perfectly superflat Metro UI. It’ll also run the standard Windows desktop, meaning requisite software like Office and Photoshop are on the go with you, plus tablet standards like Netflix.

The Surface can be paired with a magnetic cover, just like the iPad’s. But the Surface’s cover also doubles as a full, extremely thin keyboard and multitouch trackpad, whereas the iPad’s is just… a cover. This is a brilliant move on Microsoft’s part—one of the most clever things it’s ever squeezed out, and something that instantly makes Surface one of the most exciting devices we’ve eyed in some time.

Unfortunately, no word on pricing (beyond a meaningless claim of “competitive”) or availability.
Doesn't look too bad. I suspect the little stand will snap off very quickly but the wafer thin keyboard/cover is a very clever idea. I think their big problem right off the bat is that they've announced it but you can't buy it. Apple are very good at building the hype, here's out new product, you can order it TODAY and it'll arrive in 2 weeks. You then show your new cool thing to your friend who also thinks it's cool and they buy one as well.

Microsoft have shown us a tablet but there's no spec on it, no price, no mention of where and when you can buy it. Big mistake. However it'll live and die on the app store.
ARSE Biscuits! Driftu Kingu!
My Flickr Stream
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Re: Microsoft Surface

Post by NeilPearson »

there arent many apps in the app store for windows phones atm. friend of mine works in a phone shop and is forced to use a Nokia for a bit, hes not a fan of the lack of apps.
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

depends on what apps you need. Package it with the ms office sweet and I'll take 10 thanks :yes:

well I wont take 10 but my boss will take 10 and I will have 1 of them
--------------
Stu
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

NeilPearson wrote:there arent many apps in the app store for windows phones atm. friend of mine works in a phone shop and is forced to use a Nokia for a bit, hes not a fan of the lack of apps.

The thing is, if you run RT you will have those problems, but with the Pro its x86 runing a i5, so you can use it for anything!

Im really looking forward to this! They will plug into systems center so we can manage a fleet of them at work
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

I don't quite get why they're complicating things with two different operating systems. Surely it's far simpler and less complicated for the users to just have one. Then they know all the apps in the store will run on whatever they bought.
My Flickr Stream
petey

Post by petey »

Excuse to charge more for the one with "more features" ?

*hasn't researched this, pure throwing of words
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

The fact that you'll be able to chuck the full Autodesk suite on the Pro version is pretty awesome. Could be amazing for building sites.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Exar Kun wrote:The fact that you'll be able to chuck the full Autodesk suite on the Pro version is pretty awesome. Could be amazing for building sites.

You should hear the radio engineers frothing at the mouth at work about them. They have been using iPads for some testing business because some fucktard told them to. They are going berserk looking at this the other day.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Couldn't they use the Slate? Aside from being quite pricey, that would have similar functionality no?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

I keep hearing Microsoft are using this "teaser" hoping companies will hold out for the Pro version.
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

Gotta tell ya, I'd bite.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

[youtube] [/youtube]
My Flickr Stream
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

I want one, even though I have an iPad and I don't use it for much other than browsing and task management at work.

What are we becoming? lol
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Big Kev wrote:[youtube] [/youtube]

These big announcements are using tactics the politicians have been using for years. Talking at us like we are fucking stupid.

Exciting, exciting, exciting, exciting.

Amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing.

Revolutionary, revolutionary, revolutionary.

Great Big Tax, Great Big tax, Great Big Tax, Great Big tax.

Fuck me dead.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

DexterPunk wrote:Couldn't they use the Slate? Aside from being quite pricey, that would have similar functionality no?
I own a Slate and it almost does everything I require. In fact, I use it far more than my desktop just because it functions so much like a PC. This is while running Windows 8 preview, which is a bit 'meh' but has potential. Wish I kept Windows 7 on it in the mean time.

If the Surface is more powerful graphically and behaves like the Slate does, it should be a killer in my opinion. It makes all the iPad guys jealous at Uni when I run my CAD programs while using a stylus, or connecting up a HDMI cable or presentations. Heck, I do audio recording on this without issues, was a great choice over the iPad and worth the extra expense, since it saved me from getting a laptop.

Only thing that will piss me off (referring to Windows 8 ) is the social/email side usually needing links to a live account, which is shit. :(

EDIT: One interesting thing about Microsoft now is that they seem to be more tight on what Manufacturers put in hardware wise. I can't say I've had this tablet PC crash, which after using PC's for many years, is actually astounding.
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

A full OS on a tablet is very appealing. I been close to buying an eeepc a couple times. This device might be what I've been looking for. Especially if I could install any existing windows software rather than being limited to whatever is on a shitty app market.
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

[youtube] [/youtube]
My Flickr Stream
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

More info released and you can now pre-order.

Specs here
http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/ ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit disappointing I think.

Entry level model is 32Gb and without the keyboard cover thing. $499 US.
The keyboard is an extra $99 :eek:
32Gb with cover $599
64Gb with cover $699

At first glance the screen resolution is the same as an ipad 2, it's a bit heavier and the battery is only 3/4 the watt hours but it has twice the storage.
Surely if they wanted it to be a winner it at least had to outdo the old tech of the ipad2.

Yes there's a 'pro' version coming but from the prices of this entry level model, the pro one will be very pricey.
My Flickr Stream
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I agree - too pricey. I wanted a pro but the price will be insane.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
DarrenM

Post by DarrenM »

Someone at Sony must have thought this was a legit road map

[youtube] [/youtube]
Big Kev
Clean as a Whistle
Clean as a Whistle

Post by Big Kev »

Their big problem is that they announced it in JUNE and it's only now just going on sale so they've missed the hype boat. People have already forgotten about it or they think it's old tech.

On the same day they announce it's on sale, the BBC tech news page has a story on Apple releasing the ipad mini next week, not that the Surface has gone on sale.

I think they're going to struggle with this, just like they did with the zune.
My Flickr Stream
NeilPearson
Prize Winning ARSE

Post by NeilPearson »

and the zune was a really good mp3 player. I had one, until it got bricked by the new years day bug....
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Al Borland?
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Has anyone ever seen a Surface device used is portrait mode? I'm really not bullshitting here.
Crowella

Post by Crowella »

You can use it in portrait but it is a little stupid.

I've used my tablet PC (with similar specs to the surface, screen wise) in portrait mode to read some PDF files when space has been tight on a desk. It borders ridiculous but it means you can at least throw the menus above and below the document and they don't crop the bottom of documents. Still though, it's just the wrong shape and I assume Apple probably would have sent them to court if it was more reasonably sized. That said, I do like the width of the screen for landscape use.