Now this is a Gun

ARSE Aviators Airways.
Duke
Dukester Maldonado
Dukester Maldonado

Now this is a Gun

Post by Duke »

I received this as an email & thought a few of you would appreciate it also.

First there was this gun ...

It was developed by General Electric, the "We bring good things to life" people.
It's one of the modern-day Gatling guns. It shoots very big bullets. It shoots them very quickly.
Someone said, "Let's put it in an airplane."
Someone else said, "Better still, let's build an airplane around it."

So they did. And "they" were the Fairchild-Republic airplane people.
And they had done such a good job with an airplane they developed back in WWII called the P-47
Thunderbolt, they decided to call this one the A10 Thunderbolt.
They made it so it was very good at flying low and slow and shooting things with that fabulous gun.
But since it did fly low and slow, they made it bulletproof, or almost so. A lot of bad guys have found
you can shoot an A10 with anything from a pistol to a 23mm Soviet cannon and it just keeps on flying
and shooting. When they got through, it looked like this ....

It's not sleek and sexy like an F18 or the stealthy Raptors and such, but I think it's such a great airplane
because it does what it does better than any other plane in the world. It kills tanks.
Not only tanks, as Sadam Hussein's boys found out to their horror, but armored personnel carriers,
radar stations, locomotives, bunkers, fuel depots. Just about anything the bad guys thought was
bullet proof, turned out to be easy pickings for this beast.

See those engines. One of them alone will fly this puppy. The pilot sits in a very thick titanium alloy
"bathtub." That's typical of the design.
They were smart enough to make every part the same whether mounted on the left side or right side
of the plane, like landing gear, for instance.
Because the engines are mounted so high (away from ground debris) and the landing gear uses such
low pressure tires, it can operate from a damaged airport, interstate highway, plowed field, or dirt road.
Everything is redundant. They have two of almost everything. Sometimes they have three of something.
Like flight controls. There's triple redundancy of those, and even if there is a total failure of the double
hydraulic system, there is a set of manual flying controls.

Capt. Kim Campbell sustained this damage over Bagdad and flew for another hour before
returning to base. But, back to that gun .....
It's so hard to grasp just how powerful it is.

This is the closest I could find to showing you just what this cartridge is all about. What
the guy is holding is NOT the 30mm round, but a "little" .50 Browing machine gun round
and the 20mm cannon round which has been around for a long time.
The 30mm is MUCH bigger.

Down at the bottom are the .50 BMG and 20x102 Vulcan the fellow was holding. At the bottom right
is the bad boy we're discussing, the 30 x 173.
Let's get some perspective here: The .223 Rem (M16 rifle round) is fast. It shoots a 55 or so grain
bullet at about 3300 feet/sec, give or take. It's the fastest of all those rounds shown (except one).
When you move up to the .30 caliber rounds, the bullets jump up in weight to 160-200 grains.
Speeds run from about 2600 to 3000 fps or so.
The .338 Lapua is the king of the sniper rifles these days and shoots a 350 grain bullet at 2800 fps
or so. They kill bad guys at over a mile with that one.
The .50 BMG is really big. Mike Beasley has one on his desk. Everyone who picks it up thinks it's
some sort of fake, unless they know big ammo. It's really huge with a bullet that weighs 750 grains
and goes as fast as the Lapua. I don't have data on the Vulcan, but hang on to your hat.
The bullet for the 30x173 Avenger has an aluminum jacket around a spent uranium core and
weighs 6560 grains (yes, over 100 times as heavy as the M16 bullet, and flies through the air at
3500 fps which is faster than the M16 as well).
The gun shoots at a rate of 4200 rounds per minute. Yes, four thousand. Pilots typically shoot
either one or two-second burst which set loose 70 to 150 rounds. The system is optimized for
shooting at 4,000 feet. OK, the best for last.
You've got a pretty good idea of how big that cartridge is, but I'll bet you are like me and you don't
fully appreciate how big the GA GAU-8 Avenger gun really is.
Take a look ....

Each of those seven barrels is 112" long. That's almost ten feet. The entire gun is 19-1/2 feet long.
Think how impressive it would look set up in your living room.
Oh, by the way, it doesn't eject the empty shells but runs them back into the storage drum.
There's just so dang many flying out, they felt it might damage the aircraft.
Oh yeah, I forgot, they can hang those bomb and rocket things on 'em too, just in case.
After all, it is an "airplane"!
Like I said, this is a beautiful design.

Dukester

norbs diplomacy lesson 101: "If I was putting words in your mouth, you'd know."
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Re: Now this is a Gun

Post by Exar Kun »

Yep, love the A-10. The gun slows the plane down when fired too and can also cause a yaw moment since it's slightly offset.

The A-10 was the winner out of a competition between it and the Northrop A-9 which was a much more conventional design although it also carried the GAU-8. The A-9 kind of got copied by the Russians to end up with the Su-25 which is the closest thing the Eastern block has to the A-10.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Great plane.. do you think that there going to replace it with the F-35 Lightning II, seeing as the rise in price for the F35 is going up or that the purposed dropping of 10 squadrons are going to going go through the budget cut?
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I don't think they can replace it with anything in current or near future inventory. The A-10 has moved to an armed forward air controller role and there's nothing slow enough whilst being heavily armed and armoured. It's why it's hung around for so long - they ceased production, what 30 years ago?
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Cutter
Legend in his own lunchtime
Legend in his own lunchtime

Post by Cutter »

What do they do with the shell casings?

Edit - didn't read it all above, bloody hard on my little phone.
Last edited by Cutter on Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cutter ~ Carl Rickard

ysu
Smooth Lubricator.

Post by ysu »

it seems the belt goes back into the box, so prolly the empty casings travel back with it?
Surprise, no sig. Now there is. Or is there?
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

That is right, as far as the casings possible reuse.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Amazing plane, and gun :yes:

Went to US last year and visited the bone yard in Arizona (PIMA). The airfield next to is home to one of the A-10 squadrons so I was able to see a few flying around while we took the tour

I was so hoping they would do a live fire exercise, but it didn't happen :)
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Brett_S wrote: Went to US last year and visited the bone yard in Arizona (PIMA).
Awesome - how much do they let you see and how long does it take? That place is freakin huge!
Brett_S

Post by Brett_S »

Exar Kun wrote:Awesome - how much do they let you see and how long does it take? That place is freakin huge!
It was damn good, there's 3 main exhibits - the indoor hangars, an outdoor area where they have single examples of planes and equipment and then there's the bone yard itself which has to be seen on a guided bus tour

So you dont get to walk among the rows of aircraft, but the bus tour was pretty good - just driving by a row was quite impressive

I didn't get to see everything as we ran out of time. It would take the majority of a day to run around and look quickly at everything
This is the way the world works, if you want want to find some quality friends you have to wade through all the d**ks first - Eric Cartman