Sleeping Dogs

General game chat
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Sleeping Dogs

Post by DexterPunk »

Awesome game. It's similar to your GTA games, but less guns and more martial arts. The storyline is great, and the missions fit in well. You play as Wei Shen, who has returned back home to Hong Kong after living in the US. He's trying to infiltrate the triads as an under cover cop, and often struggles between his loyalty to his friends in the triads, and the police force. Some of the fighting is brutal, and I would often spend ages finding thugs to fight rather than going through the story. There's quite a few side missions to keep you busy as well. I uploaded a video to youtube of some of the fighting. There's a lot of moves you can master and im yet to get to grips with all of them. Around the map there are these sort of fight clubs that you can jump in and fight in. You start off with one or two opponents and each round it gets more difficult with more guys, and tougher fighters. I don't know why the video keeps rendering out in 4:3, but you get the idea.

[youtube] [/youtube]
kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Re: Sleeping Dogs

Post by kwijibo »

Well, this thread deserved more attention. Been playing it the last few days and its bloody awesome so far! Better than GTA4.

And right now you can get it for a bargain.. http://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/88764" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On steam is has full controller support so works well in 'Big picture' mode too
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yep, I plan on playing it through a second time. Excellent game!

Sent from Han Solo using TK-421's phone.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I have been enjoying playing this on and off, its a very easy game to just sit down and waste a couple of hours with mindless fun.
Hello :aussie:
wobblysauce
Seen it, Done it, Invented it!

Post by wobblysauce »

Only did the one full play through not focused on either side got both to max on the way, tried doing another just as police and played something else haven't touched it since.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Would it really change much as far as the story goes?? I played more triad missions if I could.

kwijibo
Squatting Squirter

Post by kwijibo »

I'm just playing everything that comes up.. I wasn't aware you were supposed to concentrate on one side?
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

This is on sale for the next 7 hours for $5... Fucking bargain if you haven't played it.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

I tried to like it, but the driving physics just turned me off it completely.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Yeah it's not one of the games best points.

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

r8response wrote:I tried to like it, but the driving physics just turned me off it completely.
I bought Sleeping Dogs in the last round of sales and this is exactly what happened to me, only wasted $5 so no biggie but I'd be pissed if I bought it retail.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

$5 is the price for it, some of the DLC is good other stuff you don't need to touch.

For story the ones I would pick are.
Nightmare in North Point.
The Year of the Snake.
Zodiac Tournament.
+ Free DLC of Ghost Pig and HD Texture pack.

Others are mainly cosmetic.

When I first played the game, I didn't even play attention to the Cop/Crime scale just getting Skills I liked.
Then watch some one review it, played it again as one or the other, didn't find it as Fun.

Stop gap till GTA V on PC that or mod GTA IV to look better.
Some play it safe on the merry-go-round, others go for the thrills of the roller-coaster.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

I have a joke for you. I have a prediction that you are going to walk into a bar, my prediction was wrong and your wallet is gone.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Shonky wrote:
r8response wrote:I tried to like it, but the driving physics just turned me off it completely.
I bought Sleeping Dogs in the last round of sales and this is exactly what happened to me, only wasted $5 so no biggie but I'd be pissed if I bought it retail.
It's not really a driving game, it's more just to get you around the map. The game itself is awesome. Playing it through for the third time now. I'd not have been at all upset if I'd paid $80 for it.

Shonky

Post by Shonky »

The mistake I made was I came straight off the back of finishing GTA IV from the same sale, Sleeping Dogs felt really weird in both driving and fighting and I couldn't get my head around it, I'll give it another crack one day and it may be a completely different experience.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

The big push of the game is the Non-Gun combat.

Saints Row IV on the other hand makes driving a why bother..

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

petey

Post by petey »

I have never made it more than 10 minutes in any saints row because the driving and the whole feel just didn't sit right with me.

Sleeping dogs had a good atmosphere and I found the driving to be bearable. I did see it as a bit of a chore but the rest of the game did make up for it.
If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you finally have enough horsepower.
wobblysauce

Post by wobblysauce »

Same for the driving for myself, I just used it as a sort of fast travel if the next part was a certain distance away.

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ vs ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ