V8 Factor - Round 3 - Barbagallo Raceway (RaceWrap)

ISI's new sim rFactor
dvestate
Prize Winning ARSE

V8 Factor - Round 3 - Barbagallo Raceway (RaceWrap)

Post by dvestate »

Points etc will be up ASAP, I'll do a detailed report later but had an awesome battle with Viper :)

Points and stats are up, thanks to Acerlyte for get the stats across quickley :yes:

http://home.exetel.com.au/mpr/v8factor/Calendar.html
Last edited by dvestate on Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schmickle

Post by schmickle »

This was my first race without getting disconnected so i reckon i've got that sussed now.

Anyway, qualed 7th .5 off my pb :( finished 7th which was ok considering i spent a good 40 seconds in the bloody sand pit at Kolb Corner (turn 6). Had some outstanding racing, some of the best fun i've ever had i reckon. Great battles with Shaun, Nutty, Righty, Cetram the list goes on.

Got off to a fantastic start gaining 4 places up to 3rd by Turn 1 due to trailing the clutch off the line... god i love that! Thanks to all for an absolute blast tonight, looking forward to the next round!! :yes:
LoudHoward

Post by LoudHoward »

Well, that was awesome fun! Some of the closest racing yet for the first half of the race, then pitstop strategy came into it, really exciting! Really tense! My review:

Didn't try that hard in qually and took P2 behind Mick, then, kept my 100% shootout pole record in fine style if I don't say so myself :lol: (Though I did lose probably 1 tenth on the final corner) It's so tense, and it was really close all the way down the grid! Great stuff!

I made my customary bad start, which I'm going to have to work on! But I thought I might be able to hold P1 into T1, unfortunately I braked seemingly 15m earlier than everyone else (I was really scared of my cold brakes) and R8 got through, I got a heavy smack up the ass at that stage, I was lucky not to spin in front of the pack but saved it and carried on with a little bit of damage.

I was surprised to see Schmickle behind me, but I knew he wasn't quite on the pace this weekend so I concentrated on getting P1 back, thought about having a stab a couple of times on L1 but in the end slotted in behind and waited for a mistake. There were only a couple of tenths in it speedwise, not enough to pass with! Eventually Righteous came up behind me quite quick, I was still looking for a way through past R8, and it got very tense! I was right on R8 and Righty was all over me - I hate being in the middle, you have to be perfect or else you'll cause an accident.

Eventually (Lap 20!!!) R8 smacked over the kerb coming out of T1 and I took the opportunity, there wasn't much room but it was all fair and I got through. It seemed though that R8 got some extra pace, or my tyres started going off, because I couldn't pull away - A little worried I started thinking strategy, I wanted to pit as early as possible, I saw there was a fair gap between 6th and 7th on the track, maybe 10-15 seconds. I really wanted to slot into some clean air so I waited until I thought I'd be able to come out ahead of 7th and dived into the pits on Lap 24.

As it was, it ended up being perfect :nod: I came out of the pits maybe 5-6 tenths ahead of 7th and had about 7 laps of fuel and fresh tyres. I put the hammer down, Righty pitted the next lap and came out behind me, about 4-5 seconds back. I put in a few mid 55s at this stage, and a fastest lap (at the time) of 55.3 - the clear air was really the race winner for me. I pitted for fuel, came out in free air again, and after other peoples problems and some more good laps I ended up about 10 secs ahead of TZ and 20 odd seconds ahead of R8. Eventually TZ pitted and so I had a 25 second lead over R8, I cruised to the finish just trying to keep the gap the same!

I have to say, that was awesome, some really close racing, and the pit strategy really added to the excitement I think! Everyone I lapped was a perfect gentleman too, I love the amount of respect in this league, I hope I'm fitting in alright...

As for the championship, things are looking good! 3 poles, 3 wins, 1 second and a DNF after a computer fault - I'm feeling good and hope to keep the streak going! :)

Anyways, this post is huge lol! I'm looking forward to the next round, sprint races again I presume? Be good for a change, though I like both forms of racing.

Cheers,
Loud Howard
Check Six!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

i must say when i was battlin with u schmick i was confused, i hadnt seen u all race and then all of a sudden u were there, and when u flashed ure lights i thought maybe i should let him thru, then i finally realised im competing with u lol, rest of the race was pretty hectic quallyed 5th after the shootout but rearended LH @ T1 which sent me to the left wall :( and yeh just tried to drive it from there got 13th from basically startin last so alls good i spose
Hello :aussie:
funkdancer

Post by funkdancer »

First online rF race. Awesome stuff.

I had to reformat my machine over the weekend, complications meant I didn't get it fully done - only just got onto MNR on Monday, no time yesterday, and then had some probs getting rF to run properly with my 3 screens when I got home from work (late).

Exited from qual, managed to get it running by trying something different again, and was rewarded with ability to try the race on for size.

Can't believe how much I've gotten used to 3 screens. Might have had something to do with FOV for 3 not being too ok for 1 as well, but... just so much feeling there from the peripheral vision about what the car is doing.

Not much to say about my race except I think I got the record of most pitstop mishap. But that was all about getting experience with the game. I didn't have any offs (other than couple of excursions when trying to let lappers past) - so think I should be able to get some good pace now for the next round. Certainly didn't use any of my tyres.

Oh about them pits, jumped start, served dt. 1st pit ok [fuel only]. 2nd pit [w/tyres], for some reason got a dt. WTH? Need lines on these tracks eh? Then serving the DT for some reason that blue box looked so inviting I just had to stop again. Doh. New tyres again. And still no serving the DT, which I came back to do the next lap. Well, that's a funny story anyway - and a good learning experience.

One big change from LFS - the mirror makes things look like they're much farther away than they are :D Sorry to who I drove a bit slowly thorugh the last corner for, thought there was plenty of margin. Other than that, hope I didn't hold anyone up for too long.

Very nice racing all around the field, must say. Only clean racing that I could see. Greatly enjoyed the experience.

Cheers,
FD
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

My first EVER experence with Rfactor online, and my first time ive raced since mnr xrr.

I agree with Schmickle, one of the best races ive been in.

In first qual, I went 6th, really happy for my first ever race.
Then dropped to 8th after being consertive in the shootout.

Had a great battle with Sterling from the start, me and him traded places a few times, Then he dropped off, and I was chasing down Cetram (I think)

Once passed, I was sitting 2nd, then I had to deal with Exar , we had a 6-8 lap battle but I wasnt letting him past, until he tagged me and launched me into the sand pit.. I lost around 20 seconds.
I was really unsettled for the next few laps, so I pitted, got some new boots and did a few low 56's in a row, came back in for fuel and was going quite well.

I chased down schmickle for what felt like 20 laps, and managed to get past him, I then went all out for 5th, but just couldnt get it.

Great stuff
Last edited by nutty on Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schmickle

Post by schmickle »

Shaun wrote:i must say when i was battlin with u schmick i was confused, i hadnt seen u all race and then all of a sudden u were there, and when u flashed ure lights i thought maybe i should let him thru, then i finally realised im competing with u lol, rest of the race was pretty hectic quallyed 5th after the shootout but rearended LH @ T1 which sent me to the left wall :( and yeh just tried to drive it from there got 13th from basically startin last so alls good i spose
:rofl: That's weird, i never flashed my lights. To flash i have to each over and press 'H' on my keyboard and that just ain't gonna happen mid race. Come to think of it a back marker was flashing his lights behind me as i got passed, maybe u were in fornt of me at that point and thought it was me? Might check the replay to see who it was, but definately not me mate :shake:
EzyRider

Post by EzyRider »

Had next to no practice for this race, so apologies to anyone's race I disrupted.. kept myself out of trouble apart from putting the foot down a little too heavy coming out of T1 and spinning twice, but other than that, just let everyone cycle past as cleanly as I could, and just had some fun lapping around, seeing if I could better my time each lap.

Once again, helluva race, kudos to the podium placers, bad luck to those that disco'd or DQ'd (SE1Z, bad luck on the engine blowout mate), and thanks everyone for another fantastic and well organised race. Look forward to the next one, and I promise to put some time into learning the new track :D
Middle Pack Racing Watch your mirrors!

Norbs on Germaine Greer: "..that crusty old slag can tongue kiss my quivering sphincter muscle, fuck her and the pretentious boat she fucking sailed in on."
LoudHoward

Post by LoudHoward »

I believe it was Tas who was flashing his lights as leaders passed, to acknowledge us saying "ta/thanks/cheers" :)

R8 was flashing in the first stage of the race as we cam eup on backmarkers, we were in an intense battle so I can understand his want to get past! Must've been a bit of a shock for the backmarkers, *flash* "Oh, a leader, I'll just let him through here" *3 people barge past glued together* :D :D
Check Six!
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

Great racing by all. really wasn't expecting 2nd. as for the lights, i never actually flashed them at anyone. i put them on and kept em on until i was right on the tail of the backmarker then turned them off.
Righteous
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Righteous »

My first rF race too. Really fun, I think if I knew wtf I was doing in terms of pit strategy I would have ben hastling LH all the way. I think I understand it now but for the life of me I cant work out why, when I came into the pit, mick was in my bay? I drove through the pits, did a lap and went in again. That pretty well screwed up my race but I still enjoyed the first half heaps.

Really looking forward to sprints as I dont have to think about pits :D
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Righteous wrote:My first rF race too. Really fun, I think if I knew wtf I was doing in terms of pit strategy I would have ben hastling LH all the way. I think I understand it now but for the life of me I cant work out why, when I came into the pit, mick was in my bay? I drove through the pits, did a lap and went in again. That pretty well screwed up my race but I still enjoyed the first half heaps.

Really looking forward to sprints as I dont have to think about pits :D
Hahah tell me about it, I couldnt quite get my head around the stupidity of rfactors fuel.. in the end I finally understood it, but wasnt quite sure how much fuel I would need, I went 45/45 and finished with almost 25L left ;(
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Well, I had an eventful one - for all the wrong reasons.

Couldn't get a handle on the car in qually but eventually figured things out and punched in a PB. Shootout I was waaaay too conservative and ran really wide out of the right hander on the way to the loop. Ended up loosing 5 places.

The start was hectic. I got a good start but had to lift as the car in front wasn't quite so quick. Shaun came through on the inside, spun and I had to lift again, letting a couple more cars through. I was 8th out of the first corner but within a couple of laps I was up to fifth and on the back of Righty and Schmikle. I had way more pace on fresh tyres but misjudged my braking into T1 and decided to take to the grass to avoid hit anyone - that dropped me down 20 seconds. Got out of the sand in 14th and drove hard until I was right back up the field. Was having a great battle with nutty when I tagged him at the bottom of the hill. Sorry mate - I wasn't even trying to make a pass, just misjudged my braking point (again) and went way too deep - your line was out wide so I tried to cut in a bit but couldn't pull it up. That was on my in lap anyway so I pitted for fuel which took a bit longer because of the damage with nutty. On my outlap I hit the T2 kerb awkwardly and spun the car, losing another 10 seconds. Came into the pits for my tyre stop only to find Righty in my bay!! WTF rFactor!! We both lost time because of this stupid bug... So I sat for a while and waited until he finished his stop, got mine done and then drove like crazy. Saw LH was close behind me and I was determined not to get lapped so I went for it. Punched out a couple of fastest laps that were amazingly close to what I could do on empty tanks. I was in 13th I think and ended up in 4th a fair way behind Righty. In the closing laps my tyres were shot so I just tried to keep it on the road.

Had the pace to fight for 2nd at least if I hadn't have stuffed things up.

Congrats to LH for the win and r8 and righty for the podium places. Sorry again to nutty. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to take that corner!!
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

had a shocker... around lap 20 I came off the last corner a little hot and clipped the left hand side ripple strip, this sent me spearing across the start/finish line sideways in a very impressive cloud of smoke before ending up slamming into the wall.

managed to get going again, only with rather severe damage, had another small off a few corners later, tapping the wall and my engine blew out.... plenty of flames, looked rather cool but my race was over. I was going to pit next lap too.... oh well...

sounds like you guys had a great race, well done :)
Steve
---
Sterling

Post by Sterling »

Just couldn't quite get comfortable with this track, I really struggled with a bit of inconsistancy from my setup, the car felt pretty good and nicely balanced on colder tyres and heavier fuel load but after about 8 or 9 laps into a stint the car started to become incredibly loose and I just couldn't get decent power down out of the corners.

Anyway I just battled on and somehow after my first pitstop I'd worked up to 3rd but on about lap 30 I missed a gear on change at the sweeper coming on to the back straight, went wide and ended up playing in the sand for 30-40secs :puke:

Other than that I had a clean run and some great battles in the process , a good passing battle with the nuttster early on, in fact both DJR cars seemed to haunt me. :tilt:

Great racing................I love how these cars really change balance throughout the race. :nod:
tz17

Post by tz17 »

Pretty average race really for myself, dropped my usual 3-4 positions of the start, then spent about 10-12 laps behind 2 cars that were hell bent on blocking me :no:. At that early stage there is really no need to be blocking. So i lost quite a a bit of time there. Pitted about lap 25 or so, then had a long 2nd stint. Then after that it was a pretty lonely race lol.

Gotta say though that the lapped guys done a GREAT job last night. I cant recall once being held up. Good jobs guys :yes:
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

tz17 wrote: Gotta say though that the lapped guys done a GREAT job last night. I cant recall once being held up. Good jobs guys :yes:
Agree with that. I was surprised to be the last on the lead lap TBH after the spread of times was so close in qually but all the backmarkers made it easy to get by which was excellent. :tilt:
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
schmickle

Post by schmickle »

Exar Kun wrote:
tz17 wrote: Gotta say though that the lapped guys done a GREAT job last night. I cant recall once being held up. Good jobs guys :yes:
Agree with that. I was surprised to be the last on the lead lap TBH after the spread of times was so close in qually but all the backmarkers made it easy to get by which was excellent. :tilt:
Agreed on the back markers, well done guys! I was disappointed not to finish on the lead lap. The time i spent making sand castles ruined that for me :(
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

Yep, couldnt agree more, SE1Z even manged to have a massive spin/smoke show without smashing into me who was close behind :p
Shonky

Post by Shonky »

Spewin I couldn't make it last night, looks like it was a corker. :(
SE1Z

Post by SE1Z »

nutty wrote:Yep, couldnt agree more, SE1Z even manged to have a massive spin/smoke show without smashing into me who was close behind :p
haha
glad someone saw it :D
Steve
---
VIPEROSI

Post by VIPEROSI »

tz17 wrote:Pretty average race really for myself, dropped my usual 3-4 positions of the start, then spent about 10-12 laps behind 2 cars that were hell bent on blocking me :no:. At that early stage there is really no need to be blocking. So i lost quite a a bit of time there. Pitted about lap 25 or so, then had a long 2nd stint. Then after that it was a pretty lonely race lol.

Gotta say though that the lapped guys done a GREAT job last night. I cant recall once being held up. Good jobs guys :yes:
I think you are referring to myself and devestate if im correct. If so we were all racing for position and im not going to pull over for anyone, if you are that much faster you make the pass which i believe u finally did at one stage.

That was probably one of the most exciting races ive ever had, i couldnt believe when i finished that i was only in 10th, it felt like i was racing for 1st position the entire race.

Downloaded the track 15 minutes before the race and had no setup or practice for the track. I managed to qualify 12th, which doesnt sound great but we were all so close i wasnt really dissapointed only being a second of the front runners pace with no practice at all and hardly any racing in rfactor in general.

Made a reasonable start, and managed to pass a couple of cars on the first 2 laps. From then on it was a absolutely awesome battle with tz17 and devestate. We were within a second the entire race, with lots of side by side racing, passing each other a few times and lots of rubbing. What i love about ISI games in general and rfactor is that you can lean on cars in corners without punting each other off and racing exactly how touring cars race in real life.

I had no idea what the rules were for the race series as regards to pitstops so after getting a brief run down i pitted halfway through the race back to back, for my fuel and tyres. Im glad i didnt stuff that up!.

Thanks everyone for a awesome race.

I have to say, rfactor absolutely rocks, Its much easier to relate handling in it to cars in real life and as such i find it much more enjoyable then lfs atm, there better be a good update coming for lfs sometime soon or it will be dead in the water.
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

Post by nutty »

VIPEROSI wrote:I have to say, rfactor absolutely rocks, Its much easier to relate handling in it to cars in real life and as such i find it much more enjoyable then lfs atm, there better be a good update coming for lfs sometime soon or it will be dead in the water.
The thing I enjoyed the most over LFS is the fact that little mistakes dont punish soo hard.. in LFS if I miss a breaking zone by a lot, ill loose a few seconds and be struggling with bad tires for a few more laps, loosing a extreme amount of time..
But in rFactor, most things can get srugged off for the next corner, while its prob not as realistic, it makes it bloody fun.

by the way, anyone want to explain how to do the starts, I realised ive never done a start with other people, and I basically dumped it from ~5,000 RPM, I spun first second and a bit of third and lost four places off the line :(
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

VIPEROSI wrote:I have to say, rfactor absolutely rocks, Its much easier to relate handling in it to cars in real life and as such i find it much more enjoyable then lfs atm, there better be a good update coming for lfs sometime soon or it will be dead in the water.
for me personally, LFS is at that stage right now, you can only race the same cars and tracks so much before it becomes stale.
nutty wrote:by the way, anyone want to explain how to do the starts, I realised ive never done a start with other people, and I basically dumped it from ~5,000 RPM, I spun first second and a bit of third and lost four places off the line :(
if you look at my start last night, i pretty much got the jump on 1st and 2nd, sneaking up the inside to take the lead. i find taking off like you would in a normal car works best, ie not a boot full of revs, just ease it off the line using the clutch slip to get you going. this is of course assuming you have a clutch pedal
schmickle

Post by schmickle »

nutty wrote:by the way, anyone want to explain how to do the starts, I realised ive never done a start with other people, and I basically dumped it from ~5,000 RPM, I spun first second and a bit of third and lost four places off the line :(
Get a clutch pedal ;) Before i got my G25 i found V8 starts very tough as the auto clutch disengages at a weird time :S