07-08 Summer of Cricket

Cricket, footy, tennis, whatever
nutty
Spam King
Spam King

07-08 Summer of Cricket

Post by nutty »

Guess there was no thread for the boxing day test, but day 1 of the 2nd test is on now.. and things arnt looking too good for the Australians.

anyone else got the cricket on
Bauer

Post by Bauer »

yeah

ponting was unlucky & I dont like the turbinator
--------------
Stu
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Watching the coverage on cricinfo.com. Hopefully we get at least 200 although that's looking increasinly unlikely. Need some Symonds magic. Haven't heard much about the wicket so will be interesting to see how the Indians hold up once they go in.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Yeah I've got it on. They don't seem to be doing much with the ball but they're taking wickets by the bucket load.

Hopefully the Aussie's can pull themselves together.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

30 minutes with Warnie. Just enough for him to fuck you and SMS his mates about it!
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Reckon India became too confident or is Australia just that strong that any pairing can make good runs and pull them out of the shit?
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Holy crap, what a recovery! They could lose the remaining wickets for 10 runs and still be pretty happy considering where they were earlier today. Awesome run rate too. No matter what happens they just keep piling on the runs.
"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Shame about Hogg, was really hoping he'd get the ton.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

Vilante 11 wrote:Shame about Hogg, was really hoping he'd get the ton.
Yep me too. He lost a lot of strike there whilst Symonds got into gear so maybe he just lost his eye a little?
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

Very true, he did go off the boil when Symonds started scoring freely.

Oh well, his first 50 and done under extreme circumstances, he should be bloody proud.
w00dsy
The Senna of Hoppers Crossing

Post by w00dsy »

norbs wrote:30 minutes with Warnie. Just enough for him to fuck you and SMS his mates about it!
:rofl: i kinda thought the same thing.

Awesome comeback from Symonds and Hogg. Does anyone know the Indian or Paki guy who is on abc radio? He was on with Kerry O'Keefe and he's quite a funny bastard.
r8response
Cry baby
Cry baby

Post by r8response »

w00dsy wrote:Does anyone know the Indian or Paki guy who is on abc radio? He was on with Kerry O'Keefe and he's quite a funny bastard.
That'd be Harsha Bhogle i reckon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harsha_Bhogle
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

w00dsy wrote:
norbs wrote:30 minutes with Warnie. Just enough for him to fuck you and SMS his mates about it!

Awesome comeback from Symonds and Hogg. Does anyone know the Indian or Paki guy who is on abc radio? He was on with Kerry O'Keefe and he's quite a funny bastard.
Last I saw Australia was 6/135 and I was quite pleased. I take it they came back from that ?? Sad really all most looked like there might be something worth watching.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
"There is nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney, Sr.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

fourthof5 wrote:
w00dsy wrote:

Last I saw Australia was 6/135 and I was quite pleased. I take it they came back from that ?? Sad really all most looked like there might be something worth watching.
??

There was plenty worth watching. Lots of run scoring and wicket taking in the same day which doesn't happen too often - at least not by different teams. I was only keeping track online and it seemed an interesting game - wickets were falling or runs were being scored. I want to see Tendulkar, Ganguly and co get into full flight and post a competitive total for their first innings.
bengatta
Ladies Motorkhana Champion

Post by bengatta »

Exar Kun wrote:
fourthof5 wrote:
w00dsy wrote: :rofl: i kinda thought the same thing.

??

There was plenty worth watching. Lots of run scoring and wicket taking in the same day which doesn't happen too often - at least not by different teams. I was only keeping track online and it seemed an interesting game - wickets were falling or runs were being scored. I want to see Tendulkar, Ganguly and co get into full flight and post a competitive total for their first innings.
think Nige was referring to anything to do with the Aussie cricket team winning and the Poms not winning as the issue... :) Strangely at times like this they usually roll out the ol chestnut... "anyone want to hear the name Jonny Wilkinson again???" :D
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

No I mean watching a game that was "in the balance". Wondering who would eventually win. That sort of thing. Watching Australia at 1/600000 and [Insert Team here] 9/2 is boring. Especially if you don't follow Australia.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
matticooper

Post by matticooper »

I'm pretty sure most people here don't mind ;) As long as it's the Aussie smacking them all over the ball park, I'd be watching it :rofl:

But I do know what you mean Nige... but you have to look at it from another angle.. it's not the fact that Australia are playing crap teams... it's the fact that they are bowling them out... and for the past few tests.. without Warne/McGrath.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

Part of the problem is the commentary. In the past the focus has been about the game. Now it seems to be about Australia winning (although it has improved a little of late). That interview with Parky was good. He had some good points about the state of cricket and what has been lost.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
norbs

Post by norbs »

fourthof5 wrote:Part of the problem is the commentary. In the past the focus has been about the game. Now it seems to be about Australia winning (although it has improved a little of late). That interview with Parky was good. He had some good points about the state of cricket and what has been lost.
The best thing to do is mute those fuckers on channel 9 and listen to ABC Grandstand Cricket. World class commentary. And like Rod said, KO'K and harsha are worth listening to on their own. Jim Maxwell is a criket encyclopedia and Glen Mitchell is great as well. Henry lawson and Damo Fleming are also great entertainment. Peter Roebuck some times get on my nerve, bit most times he is good too.

As for it being boring? Nige, you understanding of cricket is obviously lacking. [bill lawry]That was one of the best days of cricket you will ever see my friend! 7 wickets, 350+ runs. Controversy. Good bowling, great rear guard action from Symmonds and Hogg. Some terrible fielding. It had it all. Boring indeed![/bill lawry]

On KO'K, did anyone hear his joke last year about the frog that walked into the bank. Holy fuck, I nearly drove off the road. I just found the bastard. http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200603/r74772_210339.mp3

From that link above.

During a test at the Gabba in Brisbane he once asked the ABC's Kerry O'Keeffe how he could become "more Australian". The reply was "Jeez Harsha. You're a tee-total vegetarian who doesn't bet. Give me something to work with!".
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

I love how O'Keeffe sometimes just descends into uncontrollable laughter. Usually takes him a couple of overs to regain his composure. I agree totally with norbs - mute the TV and go with ABC radio. I love going for drive during the day in the summer just coz I get to listen to the cricket.
Jiminee

Post by Jiminee »

After what those Chasers knobs did to Brocky last year I have been on a boycott of all ABC products and services, given their lack of an apology this continues as well. Has not really bothered me to be honest EXCEPT for the cricket, it was fantastic listening to the Ashes coverage last year, loved every minute of it but I feel like I have to stick to my guns here so I'm continuing to avoid it.
Kerry is gold though and I enjoyed Jim Maxwell's work as well, oh well.
Channel 9 is really becoming a boys club with the new guys in the commentary team, they spend as much talking to each other as they do to the viewers, plus they are getting to an almost American level of stating the obvious. Its funny watching the high lights of the One Dayers from the late eighties/early nineties on Fox though, guys like Ian Chappel, Tony Grieg and of course Bill have barely changed at all.
XLV SPORT
norbs

Post by norbs »

Boycotting the ABC because of a few uni tools is cutting off your nose to spite your face. What the Chaser pricks need is to do some of their stories out in the streets with out the gang of security guards. I would love nothing more than to see a couple of them get the faces belted in.

Give the ABC radio cricket a listen, it makes it so much more enjoyable.
Nigel
Stupid Retard
Stupid Retard

Post by Nigel »

norbs wrote: As for it being boring? Nige, you understanding of cricket is obviously lacking. [bill lawry]That was one of the best days of cricket you will ever see my friend! 7 wickets, 350+ runs. Controversy. Good bowling, great rear guard action from Symmonds and Hogg. Some terrible fielding. It had it all. Boring indeed![/bill lawry]
Re: ABC. good call. Will do.

Re: Bill Lawry. Yesterday was good. It was the rest of the test I was thinking of.
Flickr Gallery
Fourth Photography
Vilante
Master artist
Master artist

Post by Vilante »

What an innings by the one with funny hair.

And how great to see half the indian team shake his hand on the way off the field.

That's cricket.
Exar Kun
Sensible Mick

Post by Exar Kun »

How's that for a wagging tail? 330 odd runs for the last four wickets. I was thinking lucky if they make 200 to 250 with the way they were going.