HD2 on Optus iPhone plan.

All the talk regarding mobile phones, mobile internet access etc etc.
Doso

Re: HD2 on Optus iPhone plan.

Post by Doso »

AstrO wrote:...and that's my point. Netbooks have a crap load more components to make up a device, most of which are far more complicated to produce that those found in a phone running an ARM based processor. Also laptop ram is a package, one ram chip soldiered to the mainboard of a phone can't cost that much to produce.

economics of scale :) and while ARM based processors are not as complex when they have specific code run on them they are equally as fast or even faster (google Nvidia Tegra platform) which can play 720p video completely smoothly which nearly all Atom based netbooks will struggle with.

Laptop ram would be far too big to just whack onto a mobile phone, they would need specifically made chips
AstrO
Help Desk Expert

Post by AstrO »

You know I was just talking about the difference between the size of a SO-DIMM (package) vs the actual memory chips used on them. :p I doubt they use anything as complex as DDRII ram (or that chip package size) on a mobile device. ;)

I don't really rate the Atom processor very highly, but with an nVidia Ion video card at least you can run HD video. :D

Just image how small a modern x86 CPU could be if it wasn't a RISC(ish) processor built inside a CISC... but then the performance would be woeful. Pentium MMX for the win!
Doso

Post by Doso »

AstrO wrote:You know I was just talking about the difference between the size of a SO-DIMM (package) vs the actual memory chips used on them. :p I doubt they use anything as complex as DDRII ram (or that chip package size) on a mobile device. ;)
Yeah I do realise that, you have to understand that since in a mobile phone is extremely limited, for example the HTC HD2 is only 11mm thick! not to mention the power requirements on these phones

anyway I got my HTC HD2 on friday and had a chance to play with it ($816 dilivered to my door by blueflymobile) and I'll write a quick review.

First thing you notice with this phone is the Screen, I mean it's huge! I personally didn't think it was going to be a big upgrade over my old phone (original HTC HD with 3.8") but the 4.3" of the hd2 monsters over the 3.8" of the HD and makes the iphone 3.5" look tiny! The second thing that your going to notice is how crisp the image is with a resolution of 800x480 compared to the iphone's 320x480.

The next thing you will notice is the new 1ghz snapdraggon processor, the HD2 is super smooth almost as smooth as the iphone 3gs except for a couple of minor slow down moments. The new CPU is definitly a BIG step up from older winmo devices running 528mhz quancomm processor. The new UI by HTC called touch flow 3d is absolutely brilliant it's a nice evolution of the earlier version in the first Touch HD and much MUCH better than iphone's basic homepage. Touch Flow 3d's homescreen allows for the weather, calendar appointments for the day, app/contact shortcuts and time all on screen (also animated wallpaper in the back ground). Apart from the home screen with just a swipe on the lower bar of icons reveals contact pages (more on this later), sms, emails, opera browser, full calendar, stocks, photo/video's, music, full weather, geo tags, twitter app and settings.

One thing that I have to really give a thumbs up to HTC for is the integration with social networking like facebook and twitter, for example Touch Flow 3d allows you to fully integrate your contacts with your facebook contacts, meaning that when you associate a contact with there facebook profile Touch Flow 3d automatically downloads there contact photo, there birthday etc right onto your phone! and when ever that contact might changed there details on facebook when your phone next updates (eg every 2 hours) the changes are instantly updated on your phone weather that be there profile photo or there email address etc. Another innovative feature of touch flow 3d is instead of having a huge list of contacts (and having to search for people you call regularly) the contacts tab on touch flow 3d has a 5x3 grid allowing you to place your favourite contacts in there (just there Photo and name underneath) which is really nice and saves you from having to dig through your contact list for people you call on a regular basis.

One of the big developments with this phone is that it uses a capacitive touch screen instead of a resistive touchscreen, this means the HD2 has the ability to multi touch like a iphone with things like pinch to zoom, the only problem with capacitive touch screens is that a stylus can not be used mean that high accuracy can not be achieved. This is not so much a problem when the OS is designed around this like the iphone however the HD2 runs winmo and this is the first capacitive touch screen winmo phone on the market. Now HTC have done an absolutely brilliant job of hiding the clunky winmo interface but it's still there under maybe 3-4 layers of touch flow 3d and honestly you really have to go searching for it to find it, but when you do you soon realise that the lack of accuracy with a capacitive touch screen can make it a bit hard to operate.

One thing I need to mention is App's everyone knows that the Iphone has a great app store (though it is rulled with an iron fist aka at&t vs google) as well as Androids great app store, winmo's app store is a bit of a disinterment in comparison with the number of app's available and the prices involved, this is due in my opinion that the winmo's app store has only been around for 3 months so I expect it to mature in the future. Also the Windows Live intigration/syncronisation is an absolutly brilliant feature alowwing you to sync your phone to an off site server backing up sms's, contacts, photo's, videos etc and allowing you to locate your lost phone or make it ring & display a message even if its in silent and even lock the phone which is pretty nifty feature.

wrapping it up this phone is an excellent package weather it beat's an iphone is I guess up to personal needs, yes it run's winmo if you can get past that this phone is brilliant it offers the biggest screen, in a package size only slightly bigger than the iphone or other conventional phones on the market it offers a super smooth with little slow down UI experience and in my opinion a UI that is FAR better than the iphones, the App store is a little poor but there are plenty of 3rd party places to get app's if needed the Camera/Video is pretty good (far better than the iphone's or the orginal touch HD) and the build quality is top notch (brushed steel battery cover etc) for $~800 bucks it's an absolute bargain of a phone!
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Sounds pretty cool. Only time will tell I guess if any of these phones will knock an iPhone of it's perch. /me sits back to wait and see.

There's a couple of things though that my iPhone does that you mentioned in the review. Facebook updated their iPhone app a couple of weeks ago so that the same thing happens, your contacts are synced with your facebook friends... Pics and info etc. On an iPhone u also don't have scroll through all your numbers to find ones you use frequently. You have two ways of doing it. If u go to the phone icon there's menus down below, 'recent' let's u see all your recent calls which u can organize with a single click to show all the calls made or received, or just the missed calls. That usually gives you all the people you frequently call. There is also a favorites list, just like the way you mentioned.
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

Good review Doso. Pretty much how I saw it.

I think the thing for me was the screen, it is so damned nice. It is amazing that they crammed it into a case not much bigger than the iPhone. That phonbe and Apples apps would be awesome. :p
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I think the thing that would really put me off is the windows mobile OS... after my blackjack, i never wanna go back near that, even if its hidden under fancy dressing. Apple just seem to know how to make a stable and efficient OS.
Santaria

Post by Santaria »

I've had Nokias, Samsungs, HTC's etc etc and I've never had a problem with WinMo. Even my i780 right now running WinMo has an uptime of 47 days without a restart and I use it constantly, like seriously, all the time. So why all the hate Dex? I get the feeling sometimes you're trying to justify your purchase of an iPhone. iPhone OS has the "personal music/games" market, WinMo has the Business market and Android kinda fit in the middle somewhere doing a little of both. That's how I see it at least anyways.

P.s. I can't wait till the 19th.... Stoopid Smelstra.
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561197999720352]Image[/url]
norbs
fucking right wing vegan lesbian

Post by norbs »

The HD2 I played with was really slick, and that was a dev model. I was very impressed with WinMo, having never used it before.
Sarc ; my second favourite type of gasm.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

I don't really need to justify it. I'm really happy with it and think that I got one at the right time. Once I'm ready to change to my next fone then this battle will have settled and these new fones will have settled in with more apps and updates etc. It's an exciting time for any gadget lover... Competition is a great thing for everyone.

I have a bitter taste of windows mobile after my last phone. Samsung blackjack. I thought it was just horrible to navigate and use. I think that was WM6. I upgraded it myself. I think samsung made some odd changes to the OS though, it was specific to the blackjack. Eitherway, it puts me off.
Doso

Post by Doso »

depending on the version of the blackjack it is quite an outdated phone by today standards with 200mhz processor (vs 1ghz on the HD2) and 64mb Ram (vs 448mb on the HD2) running winmo 5.0 and was launched over 4 years ago. To base your opinion on such a outdated piece of hardware on todays winmo phones is not really fair in my opinion.

In fact over 2 years ago I was one of the first people to import a 2g iphone from America running the original 1.0 OS firmware and to be honest it wasn't that crash hot after you got into the nitty gritty of the phone but with further updates it became a well rounded OS just like with Winmo 6.5 is a good evolution over 6.0/5.0 becoming a far more touch friendly device while retaining alot of the business and advanced options that arnt available in other phone OS's
wabbit

Post by wabbit »

Doso wrote:I was one of the first people to import a 2g iphone from America running the original 1.0 OS firmware and to be honest it wasn't that crash hot
I remember a real geeky Optus tech at the time had one early from the US, it was pretty darn basic and at the time I didn't want one at all. So yes, I know what you mean. The changes from OS 1.0 to 2.0 (2.2.0) are dramatic. Anyone just needs to watch WWDC vids from 2007 vs 2008.
DexterPunk
Busted ARSE

Post by DexterPunk »

Doso wrote:depending on the version of the blackjack it is quite an outdated phone by today standards with 200mhz processor (vs 1ghz on the HD2) and 64mb Ram (vs 448mb on the HD2) running winmo 5.0 and was launched over 4 years ago. To base your opinion on such a outdated piece of hardware on todays winmo phones is not really fair in my opinion.

In fact over 2 years ago I was one of the first people to import a 2g iphone from America running the original 1.0 OS firmware and to be honest it wasn't that crash hot after you got into the nitty gritty of the phone but with further updates it became a well rounded OS just like with Winmo 6.5 is a good evolution over 6.0/5.0 becoming a far more touch friendly device while retaining alot of the business and advanced options that arnt available in other phone OS's

yeah it was about 3 years ago i got the blackjack. What can I say, bad experiences stay with me. I hold a good grudge with technology. It may well be better, but damned if im gunna risk putting up with that again for the period of a contract. If only they would let you 'test drive' phones for a couple of days.